GH5S Sample Footage and Reviews

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
42 minutes ago, jonpais said:

All of them had no colorist or all of them had a colorist?

All of them had a colorist.

My friend, my first basis for filmmaking background of my own is based on full 3-years training exactly in that field specialty (post) @ Lisbon Film School.

Film, not even digital video. For the most part of it, in those old times.

E :-)

I think a lot of the footage I have seen from the X-H1 looks too un natural to me. There are good looking colors, BMPCC, Canon, Nikon colors. But Fuji, I like tend to like the new Sony A7 mk III colors better to my eyes. I just don't like over saturated colors. Olympus used to be that way years ago also. But read on below and I will reward you.

I am not even going to say it is not Cinematic, Filmic. I like those looks, Mercer does also. But I would think if you are a working Pro, a person trying to make money, you are not looking for that look anymore in this day and age. That is a movie film look. Film is dead in a sense. Not going to be revived. When the old timers die it dies. No going back. No real need to.

Most people are making Doc's, interviews, news stories etc to try and make a buck, break into the business. 4k and higher have ended the film look. Normal younger people want to see sharp, clean footage. They don't want film grain from hell anymore. They want 1080p you can cut your face on. And well I guess people now are into that look and I am not. There are more of you then of me left. I personally like the look of the GH5s better, more grungy like the A7s I have. Most people on here like the GH5 and the A7s mk III look now. And apparently now the X-H1 look.

So I guess I am in the minority on the Fuji X-H1, and well will concede you win. Times change and I probably won't. Too old for that. But I see no reason for people not to buy it, I am sure it will take a video, a good one. It's more on you than the camera anyways. Go for it and enjoy, it's your money, make the most of it. I will let you guys rest in peace. No further comment from me on it. Only fair to you. And hell I have run out of jokes on it anyways.

Don... man, you are one of my favs over here, you know that : ) Nothing against XH-1, only praising the gift.

In my case, a7III has the Sony color tones not of my pleasing. As said so many times here anyway, we can mimic any look nowadays, so not big deal there as well : )

Certain features are much more important than SOOC, I believe we should all know (and beware) of that : ))

So for the record, GH5S is in an upper-level, of course. Apples to oranges IMNSHO (E :-)

31 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Don... man, you are one of my favs over here, you know that : ) Nothing against XH-1, only praising the gift.

In my case, a7III has the Sony color tones not of my pleasing. As said so many times here anyway, we can mimic any look nowadays, so not big deal there as well : )

Certain features are much more important than SOOC, I believe we should all know that : ))

So for the record, GH5S is in a upper level, of course. Apples to Oranges IMNSHO (E :-)

Well we all see colors different. Depends on what we grew up with I guess. When I was young out of high school I got a job working for Western Electric. Western Electric was a Division of Bell telephone back in the day, that is before Bell got broken up, this was in 1966. I applied for a job there in the newspaper and I got hired. And I was one of 6 people that did out of 578 people that tried to be hired also.

And you know the reason why Us 6 were the only people of the bunch that got hired? Is that we that could tell every CORRECT color in this huge color Palate you had to take a test on with like hell, like 300 questions Just related to colors. It took 3 hours for the test. I would have never guessed I was like that. Dumb luck. And the job payed a ton of money per hour to boot. It was a rare skill to have.I made more money to start with then my Father that worked at GE for 7 years did. Crazy luck.

And the job was, hell I didn't know it at the time, was to wire up brand new subscribers in the Bell telephone offices and repair problems with existing wiring. And some of these wires, cables mostly, had as many as 2,000 pairs of wires in them, all color coded. Some had as many as 20 codes a wire to differentiate them for each other. Every wire a different color combo, So you could not be color blind, and you had to be able to see perfectly every color in there was in these cable bundles to splice them, or it install them on these hundreds and hundreds of relay racks in the buildings or underground in vaults whether new or damaged.

So Long story short I know what the hell colors are Suppose to look like. Not clown colors, fake colors, color blind colors, REAL colors. So I guess that is why I am so ehh picky.

REAL... Well, allow me to be picky here too : ) In the narrative world as for instance (but this can apply to Docs as well, it all depends on the aesthetics approach) there's no such thing ;-)

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

(...)

So Long story short I know what the hell colors are Suppose to look like. Not clown colors, fake colors, color blind colors, REAL colors. So I guess that is why I am so ehh picky.

4 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

REAL... Well, allow me to be picky here too : ) In the narrative world as for instance (but this can apply to Docs as well, it all depends on the aesthetics approach) there's no such thing ;-)

You would be amazed how many people are color blind and it is mostly men who are. My first wife had 3 brothers out of 4 that were color blind as hell. I am sure it runs in family's.

4 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Conceptually noone sees 'REAL colors' we 'perceive' colors. The same color will 'look different' to us with a different background. The same applies to 'luminosity' - we only perceive it rather than 'see' it in absolute terms.

10 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

Conceptually noone sees 'REAL colors' we 'perceive' colors. The same color will 'look different' to us with a different background. The same applies to 'luminosity' - we only perceive it rather than 'see' it in absolute terms.

Now you are talking the difference between Real and Imagined. I see real colors you see imagined LoL. I passed the test. I bet you would not have, odds against you. Your right though. They say Women see colors a lot different than men do well may not a lot but different. Pastels mostly. All in a softer way, less pronounced than men. Men do almost everything more savage than women. Did you know woman have 50 times more nerve endings on the tip of their fingers than men? Mostly for being able to soothe babies, and men have less to do rough tasks, chopping wood etc,. Holding heavy Video cameras etc Lol.

1 minute ago, Emanuel said:

Perception is mainly the whole concept in fact.

If you take this screenshot from Jon's video....

dr.thumb.jpg.50e444f4e0e435aae84d2ef842ffa32a.jpg

...we perceive the highlight on her forehead as a 'highlight' when in fact it is a 'mid tone'. We perceive the highlight as 'white' or slightly 'blue' when it is in fact 'red'.

5 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

...we perceive the highlight on her forehead as a 'highlight' when in fact it is a 'mid tone'. We perceive the highlight as 'white' or slightly 'blue' when it is in fact 'red'.

Artwise, perception is basically the whole concept to retain when we dare to extract pictures from the real world we see (E :-)

9 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

I would  think people making a living as a Colorist, editing video, probably don't perceive anything colors wise. I think they See colors.

6 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

@webrunner5 I'd rather have men driving when I am driving on the road... :-D

Ehh they say women are safer drivers. I think mostly they drive less, and don't tend to drink or speed as they have children with them often. But they do tend to have their eyes stray from the road a Lot, Yikes. Scares me to no end riding with them.

4 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I would  think people making a living as a Colorist, editing video, probably don't perceive anything colors wise.

That one is such a quote, buddy... LOL (Andrew, fellow, you must extend the quota of likes for us :-)

I think our whole life is maybe never really reality. More I think this is happening than maybe it is thing. Hard to really prove anything is really true to the enith degree. But if everyone liked all the same stuff we would be the Borg from Star Trek LoL. Bored as hell all on the same mission.

Well I am going to bed. Late here.  And I doubt Andrew wants us to turn this site into the View LoL. It is a video site.