GH5S Sample Footage and Reviews

DBounce

From what I’ve seen the 65mm should be a good fit. Although, I have not yet seen the 40mm or 100mm. 

They will be at NAB this week... as will I. If possible I will see if I can get some footage with them on the GH5S. I’m very curious to learn if my suspicions are correct that these lenses will be a perfect match with the ‘S’.

53 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow a Atlas Orion 65mm, you must have won the Lotto LoL. I would think a 65mm would be a bit too long even using a Speed Booster with the crop factor?

Yeah if I had the money I would buy one in a heartbeat. Closest thing to a Cine camera we can afford. I can't believe how many people here on a Video site are thinking of buying a Fuji X-H1 over a GH5s!

Your getting the hang of it no doubt. Nice looking LuT.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, DBounce said:

From what I’ve seen the 65mm should be a good fit. Although, I have not yet seen the 40mm or 100mm. 

They will be at NAB this week... as will I. If possible I will see if I can get some footage with them on the GH5S. I’m very curious to learn if my suspicions are correct that these lenses will be a perfect match with the ‘S’.

I think the 40mm might be the way to go for me. But everyone has different needs. Hell buy all 3 of them, Gulp!!

Just now, webrunner5 said:

I think the 40mm might be the way to go for me. But everyone has different needs. Hell buy a 3 of them, Gulp!!

That will come down to what I learn at NAB. Honestly, with the GH5S you get the best  of both worlds... Without a SpeedBooster your 65mm is 117mm and with the SB XL you are closer to 74.6mm. So you are getting two focal lengths for the price of one (plus SB). It makes sense to get this lens in EF and then adapt to M43.

5 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Will the 65mm see twice as much horizontally as a spherical lens?

My understanding is that a wider view was  the original purpose for anamorphic lenses. They first were used in tanks to give a wider view  of the battle field. The Orion Series have a 2x stretch  factor. So in the case of the 2x lenses they should see twice as much. From the footage I have seen from the 65mm it will be plenty wide.

I'm still debating wether i should buy GH5 or GH5s. One thing that i've noticed when grading sample files (only applying official varicam LUT for instance on Emmanuel Pampuri's footage) is that some "blocks" of colors appears, especially on skin tones (even in 10 bits footage, see capture) without smooth colors transitions.

This is also shown in those 2 youtube videos:

- have you noticed these artifacts too ?

- is it still present in 400 mbps files ?

- Has GH5s improved on this ?

- Is it my imagination ?

Thanks

Capture3.JPG

1 hour ago, wildrym said:

I'm still debating wether i should buy GH5 or GH5s. One thing that i've noticed when grading sample files (only applying official varicam LUT for instance on Emmanuel Pampuri's footage) is that some "blocks" of colors appears, especially on skin tones (even in 10 bits footage, see capture) without smooth colors transitions.

This is also shown in those 2 youtube videos:

- have you noticed these artifacts too ?

- is it still present in 400 mbps files ?

- Has GH5s improved on this ?

- Is it my imagination ?

Thanks

Capture3.JPG

The GH5 uses an abbreviated version of VLog when compared to the Varicam. So that might cause issues. I never really noticed any issues with the GH5 when grading. The codec holds up pretty well. 

The main difference from my POV when compared to the GH5S is something a bit more subtle but nonetheless substantial when comparing the overall image.

12 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

... I can't believe how many people here on a Video site are thinking of buying a Fuji X-H1 over a GH5s!

Yeah, this is something I quite don't understand. The m43 Pocket Cinema camera is born with Varicam lineage and in this forum it's crickets! But to even contemplate the X-H1 without having a serious investment in Fuji glass is really baffling to me.

And I've really tried to get the fascination with it, oh I've really tried. I've watched the videos explain how you have to fumble through the menus, how the camera maxes out at 20-30 min of footage (or less sans battery grip) and the battery life is close to last generation Sony's. The only thing to rave about is the color. And with a few hours in Lumetri, DaVinci or Final Cut we could dial in something damn close for whatever cam we have.

So it must be nostalgia. A reminder of simpler times, when the smell of developing fluid awakened the senses in anticipation of the images to come. I just can't give it a pass, and the only thing that can make the X-H1 anymore mediocre than it already is, is the GH5S.

18 minutes ago, Lux Shots said:

Yeah, this is something I quite don't understand. The m43 Pocket Cinema camera is born with Varicam lineage and in this forum it's crickets! But to even contemplate the X-H1 without having a serious investment in Fuji glass is really baffling to me.

And I've really tried to get the fascination with it, oh I've really tried. I've watched the videos explain how you have to fumble through the menus, how the camera maxes out at 20-30 min of footage (or less sans battery grip) and the battery life is close to last generation Sony's. The only thing to rave about is the color. And with a few hours in Lumetri, DaVinci or Final Cut we could dial in something damn close for whatever cam we have.

So it must be nostalgia. A reminder of simpler times, when the smell of developing fluid awakened the senses in anticipation of the images to come. I just can't give it a pass, and the only thing that can make the X-H1 anymore mediocre than it already is, is the GH5S.

It is the magic to see something to immediately pop up from vacuum, I guess : D Fuji's mojo. SOOC is a dream to come true there. GH5S is a way further another animal... The best bang for the buck, not exactly the synonymous for the X-H1 top hat ;-)

5 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Depends on the shooter skills, of course. No free soup : ) Grading is part of the filmmaking process, so no surprise there. It is no SOOC though :-)

You’ve shot dozens of films yourself - any of them ever bypass a colorist?