GH5S Sample Footage and Reviews

DBounce

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Compared to the a7 III: skintones, AF, etc.

The Sony A7III looks pretty good here. But for my money I would have the GH5S all day over the Sony. The colors and skin tones are much better on the  Panasonic. The extra 2 bits also goes a long way to add subtle gradation to the skin, whereas the fall off is more abrupt on the Sony. Not to  say the Sony is bad... Indeed it's a big improvement from earlier renditions. But since both options are available, why not opt for the 10 bit camera? 

The arguments about full frame are lost on me for video. I want my footage to have some context, so that the audience can establish where the character is. DOF can sometimes work against the story. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Difference for me is unexpectedly significant image quality wise - GH5s is imo so obviously richer in color nuances and more detailed.

But, strangely (?) GH5s samples are totally plagued with noise in lowlight test practically at any iso value. Maybe because of specific usage of vlog? I know about high native iso value for vlog, but dark sky looks horrible at any value in comparison with Sony.

1 hour ago, anonim said:

But, strangely (?) GH5s samples are totally plagued with noise in lowlight test practically at any iso value. Maybe because of specific usage of vlog? I know about high native iso value for vlog, but dark sky looks horrible at any value in comparison with Sony.

This is not a problem once graded. 

I know that lovely model girl wouldn't agree with me about intention of conclusion - but, for example, Sony's sample doesn't at all discern wrinkles at her forehead in the interior-restoran footage, contrary to Panasonic. Is it possible that 12-60 is so much better lens than Sony's test-counterpar? Or effect of NR is so strong in case of Sony even at lower iso values?

21 hours ago, anonim said:

Difference for me is unexpectedly significant image quality wise - GH5s is imo so obviously richer in color nuances and more detailed.

Where are you seeing the noise? It's surprisingly very clean from what I've experienced. Especially at the native ISOs.

46 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Where are you seeing the noise? It's surprisingly very clean from what I've experienced. Especially at the native ISOs.

In posted example? Somewhere at the end, around 8 min and after, night sky completely dance with noise... but DBounce called attention that it is base v-log ungraded footage, so that after grading noise disappear...

Well I have stated on here before I think you have to have at Least a 3x higher rate in Intra than in Long just to be even. So I am not surprised about his findings. But it is a good video.

I have always like this quote. "Lots of folks have compared 24 Mbit/second AVCHD on the FS cameras against 220Mbit/sec ProRes (an all-I codec), and concluded that they are pretty close in terms of quality -- despite the ProRes using 9x as much data."

On 3/31/2018 at 8:43 PM, Ravion said:

GH5S problems!

hello,

So in the pictures you can see the horizontal noise, the little strips and the evenly distributed stripes.

Even after grading you’ll see this noise. Is this hardware or software? 

EBD4A1FB-30AC-40E5-8C08-9CF8EB83EFA6.jpeg

B44BAE66-20E1-45CC-84AF-9D69101D023A.jpeg

0CCA3CBD-0082-4A0A-83DE-F459D75975DD.jpeg

A16C0E31-A34E-495A-A8DE-B8ED42F7238B.jpeg

We need more information.

5 hours ago, jonpais said:

We need more information.

The most important, I'd say - what is percentage of magnification and what iso? In spite of GH5s's nice/usable clean ooc image at higher iso, I've found  (starting from introduction phase of GH5s) that it is mostly result of pretty (or too) strong/destructive NR treatmеnt - which, although efficient, is far of excellency of, say, Neat Video's, and under of (but closer) to that of Resolve's ...

56 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow nice, that has a old school look to it. Great grade.

I think this camera has mojo. I don't often feel that way  about  a  camera. I didn't feel  that way about my Sonys or my GH5. I feel like  its the best of both worlds. Cinematic, but small and when you want it to be, cinematic. I am going to be adding the Atlas Orion 65mm to the mix in the coming months. I think it was truly made for the GH5S. It's gonna be a lot of fun shooting. But in the mean time I will try to up my game. I am pretty happy with the looks this camera is capable of. The color grade is a preset I created called VLogL Prolochrome.

Wow a Atlas Orion 65mm, you must have won the Lotto LoL. I would think a 65mm would be a bit too long even using a Speed Booster with the crop factor?

Yeah if I had the money I would buy one in a heartbeat. Closest thing to a Cine camera we can afford. I can't believe how many people here on a Video site are thinking of buying a Fuji X-H1 over a GH5s!

Your getting the hang of it no doubt. Nice looking LuT.