GH5S Sample Footage and Reviews

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

The original comment that I thought was debatable was that FF has more impact on picture quality than bit depth (8-bit compared to 10-bit); that's what I found contentious.  But I do think it's become a bit of a derail at this stage.

Well I didn't post this with the BMPCC DR stats because it was not listed in the cameras tested, but the Original Sony A7s, which I have, is FF and Only 8 bit, is doing pretty damn well according to the article. So it seems to have worked pretty well on it in SLog 2..

But Sony seems to have some magic Mojo in their sensors as of late. Now I think S log 3 on the later A7's is too much for just 8bit. You Can Not overexpose them, or it just goes to hell. But S log 2 seems to work well.

But there is more and more high end Cine cameras that are going FF or even bigger. I think it has to do more with 6k, 8k just is too much for a s35 sensor?? I am not sure the real reason? I don't pay much attention to cameras that I would have to win the Lotto to buy total specs wise. :grimace:

https://nofilmschool.com/2014/07/sony-a7s-dynamic-range-arri-alexa-amira

This is a sleeper camera. I haven't use one yet, and maybe I won't soon,but everyone I know and their wives (litterally!) bought a GH5 in 2017. Easily, that was the fastest and most bought camera I have ever seen in my social circle, since the 5DmkII.

I agree with some people here, this should have been an EVA mini, the association with the GH5 does a lot of harm to this camera. GH was always a hybrid series, GH5S is 95% video.

The color science seems (and has been mentioned in professional reviews) better than any previous GH or G or whatever Panasonic. Not only it's not Sony bad, actually it is reaching Canon territory optimized for flesh tones.

I'll definitely have this in my radar, but even though I couldn't care less for IBIS, the lack of pro worth AF is something I do mind.

I'm excited by the GH5S to the point that I'll probably pick one up this year.  But one thing does trouble me a little...

Somebody on here a while back (sorry, I have searched but I can't find the post) was ranting about the noise reduction leaving a soft, waxy image.  I kind of dismissed this, as I'd seen, and am continuing to see, so much excellent footage from the camera.  However, some of the images that I see that have been marked as being 6400 ISO and higher do seem to suffer a bit from that 'noise reduction smoothness look'.  Any thoughts or experiences?

1 hour ago, Mmmbeats said:

Any thoughts or experiences?

Just thoughts from me... but I could be recognized for call because I provided somewhere earlier in forum my own test about similar achievable results between GH5s internal vs using Resolve's or Neat Video external NR intervention above iso 3200.

But everything above iso 3200 means, imo, anyways stepping into realm of subjectivity and matter of task: how much of losing image details - leaving aside how good or bad is camera's resistance against color shifting - somebody consider tolerable.

My conclusion is: GH5s has truly one stop higher margin of fully safe (details and color wise) lowlight capability for any professionally usage than GH5 - and that's impressive and really great, or, more precisely, that's a dream come true for all long time m43 users. Also, if someone is constantly in circumstances of shooting in dark conditions - GH5s also greatly save you time because of respectable but pretty aggressive internal NR.

Advance in color science, although obviously exists OOC is, as I see, quite incremental or marginal, and its visibility greatly depends of usage mastering and lenses - even mr Altiser in his lovely enthusiastic youtube presentation admit that he is little bit "picky" regarding color progress compare to GH5... I'd say that any sort of ode to somehow revolutionary GH5s color magic is little bit exaggerating and owe to hype for new nice instrument - I'm personally more fascinate with results providing by such connoisseurs аs @Sage or Juan Melara showing how close in results could be GH5x or other top-prosumers cameras to these of highend professional instruments.

Does all of that make enough reasons to prefer GH5s instead GH5 if you have to choose just one of them? For my needs - unfortunately not (although at the very moment I have great opportunity to exchange GH5 to GH5s + roughly 350e)... but, of course, for someone's else needs conclusion easy and fully justified could be contrary.

I'm just regretting not to have opportunity to test GH5s with Atomos recorders - bypassing internal NR algorithm.

Color looks to me a Lot different on the GH5s, and in a good way better. It is leaning toward the Orange, Red look that has been popular forever with Canon. More EVA1 looking than the GH4 look on the GH5. But the colors are better on the GH5 than on the GH4. That would not have been too hard to do. They were the definition of the Panny digital look, same with the G7. People from Mars Green to boot. They are really different beasts colors wise.

I am not sure if this is posted already, sorry if it is, but it mentions the difference in color science and is really eye opening. 

Caleb does interesting things and I learned a lot I didn't know about Panasonic cameras (like the G85 and 7 have an additional crop in 4K).

edit: on the comments

"DSLR Video Shooter

I would ask yourself this. How often do you go handheld? If the answer is under 50% of the time, I'd get the GH5s." 

2 hours ago, DBounce said:

Took some shots with the GH5S using the Tiffen BPM1/2. I feel this combination really adds something extra. It just feels more filmic to me. What are your thoughts?

The grade is not my cup of tea. Maybe it's a tad under exposed, maybe it's the vignette , and the color on the second grade has too much green/orange for my taste. 

With that said, I can tell the edge has been taken off by the Pro-Mist filter.

14 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

The grade is not my cup of tea. Maybe it's a tad under exposed, maybe it's the vignette , and the color on the second grade has too much green/orange for my taste. 

With that said, I can tell the edge has been taken off by the Pro-Mist filter.

Grades are pretty subjective. I have to admit,  I'm not to the point  where I would call CGing  my strong suit. But I am loving the new sensor in the GH5S. Combined  with the BPM it seems pretty filmic. I have seen the reports that this camera uses the same Sony sensor as the Kinefinity 4k, this would seem likely. If so, then perhaps the GH5S is the smarter choice for those wanting a more established brand with similar filmic IQ?

• Super Members
13 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Terra 4K and GH5S share the same sensor?

Its meant for people using seriously, seriously, seriously long telephoto lenses normally but if you have a Windows tablet (and some gaffa tape), you can roll your own c-mount RAW cinema camera with that sensor in it for under £800 with this ;)

5ab962c3bcccd_ScreenShot2018-03-26at23_12_10.thumb.jpg.e735472b2d28013a770f70db5e4317f7.jpg

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi-294mc-usb-30-colour-camera.html

58 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

ts meant for people using seriously, seriously, seriously long telephoto lenses normally but if you have a Windows tablet (and some gaffa tape), you can roll your own c-mount RAW cinema camera with that sensor in it for under £800 with this ;)

I wonder what frame rates you could obtain using USB 3.0 as your connection to a laptop? That would be slick if you could get RAW footage from this camera at 30 fps, but I doubt it.