GH5S Sample Footage and Reviews

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
26 minutes ago, DBounce said:

No mistake, my second GH5s arrives tomorrow. It’s image has a much more filmic/ cinematic feel to it over the GH5. Also I do not miss ibis. I hate the weird warping that happens when walking. Much prefer to just put it on a gimbal.

Also could care less about autofocus... the newer gimbals are sporting follow focuses, and my other rigs I use with my Tilta Nucleus M. 

The GH5 is still available, but for my use I prefer the ‘S’ variant to my regular GH5. 

Have you compared the 6K anamorphic mode from the GH5 to the 4K of the s? Any discernible differences in IQ?

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Was that rumored 15-40% GH5s price reduction a bunch of BS or is that still floating around?

Who claimed there would be a 40% price reduction? I’m all in! I also hear you can find mint GX85s in Sweden for under $200. I think whoever takes part in spreading such absurd rumors is implying that Panasonic has a dog on their hands. 

17 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Who claimed there would be a 40% price reduction? I’m all in!

I think it was on 43rumors... supposedly they got substantially less pre orders than they projected. I assume if it’s true (it probably isn’t) the reduction will be closer to the 15% number.

But yeah, if it is true... 40% off... I need a crash cam too...

It’s literally the 3rd comment down from the top of the page linked. It very well may be BS but Vitally may have some insider knowledge. Either way, always a pleasure. 

59 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@mercer link? And why on earth would you need a crash cam? Sounds like flaming to me...

I was making a joke about the GH5s not getting IBIS due to that Amazon show needing a couple of crash cams...

7 hours ago, mercer said:

Have you compared the 6K anamorphic mode from the GH5 to the 4K of the s? Any discernible differences in IQ?

Can’t say I have as I do not have a 6k monitor. Also, is more resolution really the answer? I’ve seen some pretty nice HD footage that looked very cinematic. Of the many Oscar nominated movie the lion share used Arri.., and the highest resolution was 3.2k... so perhaps the more resolution, the less cinematic?

59 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Can’t say I have as I do not have a 6k monitor. Also, is more resolution really the answer? I’ve seen some pretty nice HD footage that looked very cinematic. Of the many Oscar nominated movie the lion share used Arri.., and the highest resolution was 3.2k... so perhaps the more resolution, the less cinematic?

The 6K mode on the GH5 is actually less sharp (sharpened) than 4k. It looks smoother but shows more detail if that makes sense.

8 hours ago, mercer said:

I consider that website as 2 steps down from DPR when it comes to video IQ. And that ain't saying much. :blush:

2 hours ago, DBounce said:

True, true. Hard to be Cinematic in 4k or above.too sharp. Even the old films were not really sharp other than B&W They were creamy sharp. Some of them are just breath taking. Now I guess some of the Panavision stuff was good at the time for detail, but no film stock is without grain even at 64 ISO, it is comprised of small particles of a metallic silver.

37 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I consider that website as 2 steps down from DPR when it comes to video IQ. And that ain't saying much. :blush:

True, true. Hard to be Cinematic in 4k or above.too sharp. Even the old films were not really sharp other than B&W They were creamy sharp. Some of them are just breath taking. Now I guess some of the Panavision stuff was good at the time for detail, but no film stock is without grain even at 64 ISO, it is comprised of small particles of a metallic silver.

Well that was the guy who hacked the GH2... I assume he has some contacts?

As deezid said, the 6K anamorphic mode seems to have less in camera sharpening... so with a good downscale, you can probably get some cinematic 2K/3K. 

Now I only shoot 1920x810 2:35 on my 5D3, so I agree 1080p is usually more than enough. But with the GH5... the softer 6K anamorphic with IBIS is definitely a selling point that the more expensive GH5s cannot do. 

43 minutes ago, mercer said:

Well that was the guy who hacked the GH2... I assume he has some contacts?

That guy is the main, pretty much Only moderator on there. I have seen him say some total Jack Ass stuff on there. I am sure he is a smart guy, but rumors are a dime a dozen. If you want to take the word of Another website, A Rumor site at that, and put it on Your website as Gospel, yeah he is a Jack Ass.

I Never go to that stupid website anymore ever.  Same with DVXuser anymore. They overall are a total joke, other than a few people now. It used to be good, well better is a Better word, but now...

I think most of the really smart, make a living people don't come to Any of these forums often. They are too busy making money, putting food on the table, talking to others that are experts on email, or the phone, Not on Personal View! There is a TV show called the "View" that sort of reminds me of that website!  :grimace:

12 hours ago, DBounce said:

No mistake, my second GH5s arrives tomorrow. It’s image has a much more filmic/ cinematic feel to it over the GH5. Also I do not miss ibis. I hate the weird warping that happens when walking. Much prefer to just put it on a gimbal.

Also could care less about autofocus... the newer gimbals are sporting follow focuses, and my other rigs I use with my Tilta Nucleus M. 

The GH5 is still available, but for my use I prefer the ‘S’ variant to my regular GH5. 

Not a mistake in terms of the camera itself, which looks great. Like I said, I'm waiting for used copies to get one. Mistakes in terms of marketing and generating interest, this camera has come and gone with little attention. Its a niche release at best. Hopefully its a success and not a one-off model. But from reading the interviews it looks like a passion project.

You may not care about AF or IBIS, but its something that clearly resonates with the buying public. Canon is crushing it with the EOS-m's, outside of DPAF they really offer nothing compared to the competition. GH5 crappy AF videos generate a lot of attention, it was so bad Panasonic rushed an update. With focus by wire lenses, native AF performance needs to be improved - and this is true for most mirrorless cameras.

Given its extremely limited stills capabilities and lack of IBIS, I wouldn't have used the GH5 moniker either, its a completely different camera and its clear GH5 users strongly associate the GH line with IBIS. I don't think they did the proper research by calling it the GH5s. Call it the GS1 or GC1 or something like that. A new cinema line without IBIS. Or maybe the EVM-1, for a mini companion to the EVA. The lukewarm reaction clearly shows a few blunders in Panasonic's decisions. Fuji is just as bad, IMO too much is done internally when it comes to marketing.

Personal opinion - they could have further differentiated it by moving the EVF to the left corner, relocate some of the controls and spec'd it with a larger/higher rez LCD - like the 1440 x 2560 displays we've had on phones for awhile, and did the internal ND thing and so on - things to make it more video friendly - but this was a smaller volume project so there likely wasn't the resources to go beyond tweaks to a GH5 with a different sensor. Maybe we see this sensor in a smaller EVA style body as the long awaited AF100 successor.

Chris

I'm afraid they would even charge much more if they would call it Mini-Eva... LOL

So, GH5S is not actually a bad denomination choice to state it quite frankly and pretty straightforward.

I am personally done with smartass manoeuvres from business players trying their best to go and get deeper from my indie pocket. Nuff said, Panasonic is usually a decent brand. Even though, that premium fee is not the best signal under such policy. IMHO that's a business mistake. So, in this perspective because 2500 bucks for this outstanding machine it is still a bargain anyways, I am really not surprised with the clientele reaction on GH5S sales.

With IBIS, focus hack results (AF mantra has been a sales distaster IMNSHO) or changing contrast AF with DFD technology for a most accurate autofocus proposal indeed and the same price of GH5, this camera would be a terrifying hit, count on it : ) 

In any case, it is the best cinema camera out there for the price, no doubts on it.

If you can only buy one, buy this toy and you won't have buyer remorse at all but a purchase which will heedfully convert in your utmost investment to date. Dare yourself and you'll see the real meaning of this statement, not only virtual words somehow addressed in any tech forum ;-)

Don's fully right... This cinematic device is the best tool available nowadays to shoot a feature with. At this price range and hybrid (I'd rather call GH5S 'handy' : D instead) class ride.

E :-)

I’m not buying the ‘videoish’ argument at all, at least until those repeating this nonsense can share better, more cinematic work of their own than the two extraordinary examples below. Incidentally, the boxing clip was shot entirely handheld, no stabilization. Both videos benefit from the filmmakers’ uncustomary understanding of light, location, composition, their choice of optically outstanding lenses and excellent grading that enhances the atmosphere and supports the story. Both also use V-Log for the utmost flexibility in post. As far as pricing and branding go, I’ve got no problem with either the name or paying $2,500 for such an incredibly versatile camera as the GH5s.

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

I’m not buying the ‘videoish’ argument at all, at least until those repeating this nonsense can share better, more cinematic work of their own than the two extraordinary examples below. Incidentally, the boxing clip was shot entirely handheld, no stabilization. Both videos benefit from the filmmakers’ uncustomary understanding of light, location, composition, their choice of optically outstanding lenses and excellent grading that enhances the atmosphere and supports the story. Both also use V-Log for the utmost flexibility in post. As far as pricing and branding go, I’ve got no problem with either the name or paying $2,500 for such an incredibly versatile camera as the GH5s.

I also believe GH5s is the best choice for professional videographers at this price point at the moment. $2500 is a great price. I might not be the target market since I need/want IBIS and PDAF, but that doesn't change fact that it is an amazing camera. All the footage that I have seen has great colors without any of the typical digital artifacts. Also along with the GH5 they have one of the best 1080p out there. High bitrate intra frame codec, downsampled from 4K with minimal rolling shutter. 

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

Great samples. And very good points, Jon.

Although it should be mentioned that those videos were shot by professionals, with professional crews, using professional lenses, and professional level support gear, corrected and graded by a professional colorists, with a professional production staff to put all of the elements together. 

Those guys, with their resources, would make a t2i look amazing.

With that being said, the GH5 and GH5s are amazing cameras and would be for double the price.

And I don’t see anyone arguing this with you.