GH5S Sample Footage and Reviews

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I rented the Olympus 12-100 and it’s a fabulous kit now. The slightly larger sensor makes 12mm a usable “selfie mode” and 100mm gives you a 180mm equivalent!

Autofocus works great with the hack and the IS is really nice too. Optics are sharp and bokeh when you get it looks great. 

What other system allows for such a useable lens at this size with this power in video with 4K 10bit and epic slow motion. 

ISO performance makes f4 totally fine. Wonderful one camera one lens setup. 

196B779A-EA41-4021-AC9D-E2C7EDF81256.jpeg

Thanks, could you post some footage if you find a time? I didn't yet find any serious of this combination.. I've found that Olympus lenses tend to be less bitingly sharp on GHx than Panasonic's equivalent.

5 hours ago, cjwilliams0013 said:

Sorry if this question has been asked already and I could not locate it, but it stats that the GH5S has unlimited recording, does that mean that it is not limited by the 29min record limit in past GH series have been restricted to? 

no restrictions. records forever

On 3/2/2018 at 11:14 AM, anonim said:

Thanks, could you post some footage if you find a time? I didn't yet find any serious of this combination.. I've found that Olympus lenses tend to be less bitingly sharp on GHx than Panasonic's equivalent.

working on a full review on this setup. will be released next Tuesday

6 hours ago, cjwilliams0013 said:

Sorry if this question has been asked already and I could not locate it, but it stats that the GH5S has unlimited recording, does that mean that it is not limited by the 29min record limit in past GH series have been restricted to? 

I don't remember any recent GH camera having a 29 minute recording limit.  GH4, GH5, and GH5s should all record until your battery fails or you run out of space on the card.

On 3/10/2018 at 2:29 AM, Mckinise said:

I don't remember any recent GH camera having a 29 minute recording limit.  GH4, GH5, and GH5s should all record until your battery fails or you run out of space on the card.

It differs from territory to territory.  i believe the GH4 sold for the EU market has the limitation, other models do not.  I also believe (from memory) that the GH5 is unrestricted in all territories.

8 hours ago, ntblowz said:

I dont think 12mm on GH5S will be equivalent to 21mm, I think it more like 22mm?

I think that he means available lens wise....

For example, Fuji claims that their 56mm is the 85mm equivalent, but with the 1.5 crop its really 84mm (so they round up).

Editted to add: never mind... didn't think there was a 22mm lens, but there is the 22mm for the EOS-M.

@DaveAltizer I wanted to upvote/thanks and ? at the same time!

Great and informative video.

My experiences with the 12-100 are similar (manual focus though) with the GH5, and surely is one of the most amazing all around lenses on any system. For run n gun, wedding videography, live TV, documentary use, is just excellent.

I have read, and see on the internet that the S is improved in color science. What is your opinion about it, and you have both to compare too!

10 hours ago, mkabi said:

I think that he means available lens wise....

For example, Fuji claims that their 56mm is the 85mm equivalent, but with the 1.5 crop its really 84mm (so they round up).

Editted to add: never mind... didn't think there was a 22mm lens, but there is the 22mm for the EOS-M.

On a normal M43 sensor it is 24mm, but since GH5S use a slightly larger sensor so it is wider when shooting 3:2/16:9 vs 4:3 of native M43 sensor.  I think it was 1.86x on 16:9 so 1.86*12 = 22.32mm

Nice review Dave.
In the sound department, you mention that the audio pre amps are great. But have you actually compared with another system?
Also, with the xlr input module, can you comment on how robust the mount is? Metal?
If you could only choose one dynamite lens, which one?

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I have no clue why so many people on here are going Goo Gah over the X-H1 when you can buy this beast for 500 bucks more and get twice the camera. It is out of my price range now, but if I get the money I am having a GH5s.

Perhaps because the XH1 (and most other high end bodies) are far superior stills cameras?

@AaronChicago That screen cap looks good. 

@DaveAltizer Love your reviews. And the CY28, one of my all-time favorite lenses. 

Chris