GH5S Sample Footage and Reviews

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Sage said:

I will be able to match them exactly ; ) 

I need both cameras in my possession - the GH5S is already accounted for.

If someone with the 1Dx is willing to lend out their camera for a day or two, I will gladly do this

Just to be clear, whomever chooses to do these assignments. The point isn't to get the images to match.... After some retrospective thought I realize that it can go either way here because we can say to get the best possible image out of the 1DX2 and try to match it with the GH5S, but then purposefully sabotage it so that it matches... Or the other way around... Get an amazing image with the GH5S and try to match it with the 1DX2... So, it's better that we don't match it exactly and get the best images possible out of either tool and to compare them.... May be even create a subjective anonymous/random poll of which image you prefer (camera A vs camera B; don't show results of poll till the end cause we don't need groupthink to influence the results)

1 hour ago, Sage said:

My sister happens to have an iPhone X. I will do this - does anyone know if exposure can be locked down and incremented on the iPhone?

I have an iPhone X... and a Note8... and a GH5, and the GH5S and the 1DXMK2. And I can tell you first hand... No smartphone comes close to those cameras. Yes they can all take video. And yes they can all take stills. But comparing a modern smartphone to a modern high end camera is a fools errand. You might as well go snipe hunting :blush:

43 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Just to be clear, whomever chooses to do these assignments. The point isn't to get the images to match.... After some retrospective thought I realize that it can go either way here because we can say to get the best possible image out of the 1DX2 and try to match it with the GH5S, but then purposefully sabotage it so that it matches... Or the other way around... Get an amazing image with the GH5S and try to match it with the 1DX2... So, it's better that we don't match it exactly and get the best images possible out of either tool and to compare them.... May be even create a subjective anonymous/random poll of which image you prefer (camera A vs camera B; don't show results of poll till the end cause we don't need groupthink to influence the results)

Do it indoors with ambieant light and it will be a really short test. Don’t get me wrong, I’m certain the breakthroughs will come in Mobile first. But a smartphone will never be equal to a dedicated camera of the same era. 

2 hours ago, mkabi said:

How about we work backwards then....

I have neither the 1dx mark 2 nor the gh5S; my friend did have the 1dc for a while but he gave it up. Technically, Im not supposed to have a bias, but I do favor the 1dx mark 2 as I am interested in one (though, I have a feeling that it's going to be a nightmare working with those huge MJPEG files) with that said... I want someone to convince me to side with the GH5S as Im fed up with anything Canon.

MJpeg is not that bad to work with. Both PP and FCPX automatically create proxy files. The shortcomings are that it is outdated, large and only 8 Bit.

Everyone is convinced with the malleability  of those 10 bit files. But, as much as I am concerned color has nothing to do with image quality (and that's just my opinion)

To prove that... Or disprove that (cause, remember... I want you or someone to convince me to side with the GH5S)...

10 bit only matters if you CG. Not to say you cannot CG the Canon. It’s just that you have to tread more carefully.

Price alone should be pretty convincing if video is your focus. For stills the Canon rules.., no need to compare that one.

Let's work backwards... i.e. let's remove the color space and compare the images in black & white. @DBounce since you have both cameras... You can do a side by side. Your mission (should you choose to accept it) *cue the MI or Bond music*?:

Bond music please.

- Do some black & white video from both cams make them as cinematic as possible (do it side by side) and let's compare them...

B&W interesting.

-Add filters, speed booster, whatever you want to equalize the playing field.

But, at the same time, because so many of us like to say that anything the high end camera can do.... The GH5 can do too....

I like the GH5, but overall the 1DXMK2 is the better camera if CG is not an issues, or if you are working in anything less than ideal lighting. The GH5S however is another matter altogether. 

Same as how those iPhone X to Red, etc. Get the most beautiful (most cinematic) shot in black and white from the 1dx mark 2 (get those f1.8-2.0 shots) and try to mimic that black and white with the GH5S (just for good measure and no excuses)

Editted to add: @DBounce I've noticed that you are still getting to know your cameras and you are still trying to get that cinematic image from your cams but I don't want you to mess around too much from the accepted norm so.... Please set your cams to DCI 4K 24p.... Shutter speed to 1/50 ( closest to 1/48) in the 1dx mark 2 and shutter angle at 180d on the GH5S, bring the sharpness down to the lowest on both cams (should you choose to do it). 

I tend to set shutter/angle to give a bit more blur 1/32 or 270° but other than that 24p is standard for me. I also seldom shoot slowmo. Everything looks cinematic in slowmo.

there are so many variables that would need to be accounted for any semblance of fairness in a blind test for the pixel peepers on a budget users here.  As you alluded to above, certain variables might drastically benefit one cam or another.  light source type, software, workflow, display used for grading, displays used for viewing, compression, streaming, output format, native Iso, format equivalence, lens quality, camera white balance, matching exposure, etc.. etc... if it's just so you you can decide if apple or panny takes your money, thats a little easier?.   

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

B&W interesting.

Yeah, I'm telling you... its going to be really good. But it will take bit of your time for the testing.

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

Everything looks cinematic in slowmo.

I completely agree on that... even that test with 240fps from the GH5S thats in this thread (some earlier pages). But notice that its really really soft... may be thats a variable? Soft image for cinematic image?

46 minutes ago, sam said:

there are so many variables that would need to be accounted for any semblance of fairness in a blind test for the pixel peepers on a budget users here.  As you alluded to above, certain variables might drastically benefit one cam or another.  light source type, software, workflow, display used for grading, displays used for viewing, compression, streaming, output format, native Iso, format equivalence, lens quality, camera white balance, matching exposure, etc.. etc... if it's just so you you can decide if apple or panny takes your money, thats a little easier?.   

Most of those variables can be eliminated if one person is using both cameras side by side (they are going to use the same light source, software, workflow, etc.).

As for native iso, lens quality, white balance... those are limitations you have to live with.... its apples to oranges really... but for some reason a lot of peeps have been saying that the oranges can be apples too. So to eliminate the theory that the images from one camera can be the same as another camera - well... it literally needs to be cut from the same cloth. 10 bit is for color, but if we remove the color? The image is still there.... so we are judging by the image.

I hear what your saying and understand taking color out of the equation. same settings for all.   it's just that for example, if the the test uses a led with missing spectrum or a spike, it won't just affect color.  noise and tonality in a certain color channel can be affected, which can hurt one camera and not the other. Have you seen the video from Arri where they show their skypanel vs their own tungsten lamp?

another example.  will a camera manufacturers idt be used inside of aces to transform to rec709, p3, rec2020, etc... or will manufacturer provided luts be used, or just by eye or?  will the proper levels ie video vs data levels be properly set and maintained on both ingest and output? if luts are used, will adjustments be made before or after the lut. and then what's the method for going monotone and then who decides contrast?   video i.o. card or is monitor hooked up straight to gpu?  many, many other technical details if you want to truly compare.   

I think that it is very self'-deceptive and even pretentious to think that anybody can discern fundamental quality/beauty distinction between modern high quality cameras just at the base of one single, from clip extracted image that is treated even with slightest elemental channel manipulation. Matter becomes even more serious (or funnier) with 1280x720 image that survive tone of stylistic finessing and software manipulations.

More over - we are constantly faced with claims that something is "cinematic" or not without explanation what exactly someone see, and what with "cinematic" is called. Just from the last years Oscar examples - Moonlight is cinematic, The Revenant is cinematic - do their global artistic directions image-character wise have anything in common? I think that we too much relay our self-esteem on subjective premise that we know/see better than someone else what mysterious "cinematic" is.

I'd like more that everybody spend few minutes and indicate/explain what he/she actually like in given example - instead of repeatedly operate with one single word as argument comes from real or imagine professional heights. Lets prove our eyes, knowledge and taste indicating exactly what we see and why we think it is important.

(Btw - If, in incredible case, someone is interested - above presented short called Valentine is shot completely at Voigtlander's 0.95 f value, I asked DP and he answered at his channel.)

9 hours ago, DBounce said:

I have an iPhone X... and a Note8... and a GH5, and the GH5S and the 1DXMK2. And I can tell you first hand... No smartphone comes close to those cameras. Yes they can all take video. And yes they can all take stills. But comparing a modern smartphone to a modern high end camera is a fools errand. You might as well go snipe hunting :blush:

Do it indoors with ambieant light and it will be a really short test. Don’t get me wrong, I’m certain the breakthroughs will come in Mobile first. But a smartphone will never be equal to a dedicated camera of the same era. 

Granted all auto image params can be locked down (and macroblocking isn't too bad on the X) - Prepare for a surprise! ; )

2 hours ago, Sage said:

Granted all auto image params can be locked down (and macroblocking isn't too bad on the X) - Prepare for a surprise! ; )

Not sure what kind of “surprise” I should prepare for. I’ve had Filmic Pro for two years plus on both Android and iOS. I have Moment lenses, and an Osmo Mobile. None of this will get you DOF or dynamic range. Also, the encoding turns surfaces such as streets and water to mush pretty regularly. And while you can turn down the iso when shooting in low-light, you will do so at the expense of shadow detail. If you are new to shooting with smartphones maybe it’s you that should prepare for a surprise?

2 minutes ago, DBounce said:

None of this will get you DOF or dynamic range. Also, the encoding turns surfaces such as streets and water to mush pretty regularly

That's true. I hear from my sister that the camera is pretty good; its her favorite feature.

She showed me this really incredible 'portrait mode' which is the first time I've seen shallow DOF on a phone (using dual camera math). I suspect it isn't available to video, but I'll check it out

1 hour ago, Sage said:

That's true. I hear from my sister that the camera is pretty good; its her favorite feature.

She showed me this really incredible 'portrait mode' which is the first time I've seen shallow DOF on a phone (using dual camera math). I suspect it isn't available to video, but I'll check it out

Nope, Portrait mode is for stills only. As is HDR. Also, the Portrait mode is far from perfect, often blurring what should not be blurred. It's far easier to just use a dedicated camera with a fast lens. Doing so will work in stills and video. 

Smartphones are great, and I really like the idea of integrating some of these smart features into cameras. That's what Samsung was starting to do with the NX1, and frankly that camera had one of the best UI I have ever used on a dedicated camera. All of this tech can only be better when upscaled to full sized cameras. My modern smartphones handily outperform my 11 year old Canon point and shoot. And I would imagine that in 10 years modern smartphones will outperform most of todays dedicated cameras. But think of what the dedicated cameras will be like in 10 years?

Interesting times. 

55 minutes ago, Sage said:

I just saw this video; this thing is really impressing me right now. It apparently has a telephoto lens option. This might just be worth doing something for

Whoa, impressive to say the least.

I rented the Olympus 12-100 and it’s a fabulous kit now. The slightly larger sensor makes 12mm a usable “selfie mode” and 100mm gives you a 180mm equivalent!

Autofocus works great with the hack and the IS is really nice too. Optics are sharp and bokeh when you get it looks great. 

What other system allows for such a useable lens at this size with this power in video with 4K 10bit and epic slow motion. 

ISO performance makes f4 totally fine. Wonderful one camera one lens setup. 

196B779A-EA41-4021-AC9D-E2C7EDF81256.jpeg

3 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I rented the Olympus 12-100 and it’s a fabulous kit now. The slightly larger sensor makes 12mm a usable “selfie mode” and 100mm gives you a 180mm equivalent!

Autofocus works great with the hack and the IS is really nice too. Optics are sharp and bokeh when you get it looks great. 

What other system allows for such a useable lens at this size with this power in video with 4K 10bit and epic slow motion. 

ISO performance makes f4 totally fine. Wonderful one camera one lens setup. 

196B779A-EA41-4021-AC9D-E2C7EDF81256.jpeg

I don't know man... you seem to be settling-in.... you know.... in that comfortable - convenient zone.

From full frame to mft.... from leica primes to 1 standard zoom.... pretty soon a point and shoot would be good enough... dare I say it? An Iphone will be good enough?

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Dave, will you be able to compare the three regular GH5, GH5S and X-H1?

Add the 1dc in there too for good measure and we are golden.

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Dave, will you be able to compare the three regular GH5, GH5S and X-H1?

Unfortunately with the reviews there usually isn’t any crossover like that. We rent or buy the cameras then sell them as soon as the next one comes out to pay for it