GH5S Sample Footage and Reviews

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
28 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I haven’t found much use for HLG after alot of testing. It’s great if you need to deliver in HDR straight from the SD card, but if you’re grading in Resolve then VLog still takes the cake with DR. Convert VLog into a Rec2100 or 2020 timeline and export HDR. 

You may be right about HLG, but I wanted to give it a play to learn what it was like. Granted working with it presents challenges. 

6 hours ago, DBounce said:

Idk, I would imagine so. After all, aren't all the new movies shot in HLG?

I don't know. I really don't know that much about it. I have no camera, monitor, or TV that can shoot or see it . Now my Cell Phones can see it, but I Ain't looking at a 3 hour movie on one at my age LoL. :grimace: Now I did watch that Frank the Sheep cartoon thingy short, and it was, well, F ing great on my phone! The Laundromat thing.

5 hours ago, anonim said:

1) that immediately observer's reaction don't be how noticeable an image is sharply cut/define into the combination of constitution particles - i. e. that experience of wholeness is not distracted by noticing edges of minuscule parts

You Have got to be a Heavy Drug User LoL. Funny stuff, crazy, but funny stuff. :grin:

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

You Have got to be a Heavy Drug User LoL. Funny stuff, crazy, but funny stuff. :grin:

I really don't know much about Drugs, especially not about distinction between Light or Heavy Drug in which, it seems, you are some sort of expert to - insomuch that you unmistakable find right place and topic to announce it. But if it crazy, but funny stuff that I wrote - probably yes, I'm a clown in front of such really experts that profoundly know how to superior lol-ing :)

7 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I haven’t found much use for HLG after alot of testing. It’s great if you need to deliver in HDR straight from the SD card, but if you’re grading in Resolve then VLog still takes the cake with DR. Convert VLog into a Rec2100 or 2020 timeline and export HDR. 

The strong noise reduction (which can't be turned off) and terrible color separation especially between red and orange are other reasons for me not to use HLG. V-Log is way better. In terms of Luma usage both are actually pretty similar. V-Log uses full range, HLG limited range.

1 hour ago, deezid said:

The strong noise reduction (which can't be turned off) and terrible color separation especially between red and orange are other reasons for me not to use HLG. V-Log is way better. In terms of Luma usage both are actually pretty similar. V-Log uses full range, HLG limited range.

So it seems that opinions are highly devided?

Paul Leeming, for example, wrote "For another reference point, I've found HLG to give identical dynamic range to V-LogL, but better distributed across more of the tonal range." And elsewhere "It's my favourite profile now, as it also uses more of the 10 bit space than V-LogL, meaning smoother tonal transitions."

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?359026-GH5s-dynamic-range-tests

Nice find, dear anonim : D fellow. Have you been knowing Dennis' work? What about his posting? Maybe he can be wrong on that one. We both already had the chance to trade thoughts he could swap places in the end. Anyways, I'd trust on his eye on color stuff as well much more than any other party, I bet. Let's see what he has to say on your input. Jon's position too, I guess, isn't it?

Last one sample... to my eyes extremely nicely balanced level of details, non emphatic/distractive usage of colors/contrast, in word, identical to Canon mellowness and gentleness.

I have no Vlog to compare with HLG, so I'm searching for respectable opinion, strangely how they sharply differ.

From my pretty extensive experience with Panasonic realm, I pretty firmly can advice just one - if someone search for cinematic image as I above tried to define, than using of native Panasonic lenses is highly inadvisable. Maybe with exception of Nocticron. (Maybe that's part of reason why Panasonic don't include, at least as an add-mount-offer, m43 mount as crop usage for coming raw to EVA1?)

8 hours ago, anonim said:

I really don't know much about Drugs, especially not about distinction between Light or Heavy Drug in which, it seems, you are some sort of expert to - insomuch that you unmistakable find right place and topic to announce it. But if it crazy, but funny stuff that I wrote - probably yes, I'm a clown in front of such really experts that profoundly know how to superior lol-ing :)

Thanks, you have confined my suspicions. Yeah I get to use a lot of Legal Drugs since I am old now. Yeah and I Do like to laugh at funny people. Your up there at the top. I enjoy your ehh stories.

I’ve been doing tests and am shooting like 5 different reviews on this camera for Kinotika and my personal channel and to me, honestly, the GH5S is game changer. I’m noticing significant improvement in skin tones and color science here along with better autofocus with the “hack” than the GH5. I’ve been comparing the two cameras using the same settings and the GH5S does seem to be faster. Also, I love the newer sensor size. Just that little extra amount of sensor size allows for the Olympus 12-100 zoom to be the best lens of all time! Constant f4 was always a problem with this lens, but now with the low light performance it’s a non issue. That 12mm becomes a 21mm equivalent which makes it the perfect “vlog” focal length and with the ability to zoom to 100mm... you have a 21mm-175mm which is unheard of. You get fabulous IS with the lens so you’re not missing out by not having ibis and call me crazy, but I’m not a fan of ibis. It’s always ruined the shots for me. 80% of the time on the GH5 it’s great, but sometimes you just see that wobble and it ruins the shot in my opinion. Lens IS never does that for me. 

So: GH5S + Olympus 12-100 = best walk around kit. 

There’s so many things with the panny cameras that just make my life better and more pain free too. Like the hdmi implementation. Having all your settings, audio levels, etc carry over hdmi is so incredible. 

I even love the stills off the GH5s. Really clean and 10mp is fine for me. Less megapixels than my iPhone but the photos are fine for my use (family portraits)

I’m buying the GH5S with the 12-100 with a speed booster for my contax Zeiss glass and actually going to sell my 1DC for this. I’m so happy with the 10bit files and vlog. This camera makes me happy. The GH5 never did. 

44A323B6-19CB-4378-9BDB-555A3375ACB0.jpeg

EBDD3DEB-90B8-466B-AAF0-0F7B76F1A093.jpeg

E83C646B-930F-4D7F-B729-12589E97F80E.jpeg

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Thanks, you have confined my suspicions. Yeah I get to use a lot of Legal Drugs since I am old now. Yeah and I Do like to laugh at funny people. Your up there at the top. I enjoy your ehh stories.

You are welcome.

Does lol-ing state of your mind always include calling someone's stuffs crazy, or it is just when you are under (Drugs-based?) inspiration of intrusively rude self-wiseacre?

Just now, anonim said:

You are welcome.

Does lol-ing state of your mind always include calling someone's stuffs crazy, or it is just when you are under (Drugs-based?) inspiration of intrusively rude self-wiseacre?

You forget I said it was also funny, and since you like to play the clown role, you ought to be elated!

@DaveAltizer Have run out of likes! But even if I hadn't, they wouldn't be enough for your rational judgement!

Of what I have seen on line, the GH5s is not a low light GH5, actually it should be something completely different in my opinion, and called different. Is a very different camera, with the same body. I would love to see something similar between this and the EVA, with a more proper video camera ergonomics (ND and all) for 3-4000euros. This is still a segment that C100mkII is rather old, and the JVC LS300 is not completely convincing. 

I am also not a friend of IBIS. The reason you mentioned ofcourse, an IBIS stabilized shot is NOT a tripod shot, and the fact that people got lazy, and people with GH5 rarely use tripods/monopods/cranes/gimbals anymore; and I am talking about professionals. That is a shame in my opinion, because they are missing narrative elements and stylizing tools - if that makes any sense.

The Olympus is already pretty good in GH5, definitely my favorite setup, [after the NX1+16-50S (which is equally good stabilized and is a 2f APS-C lens on the wider focal lengths)], but the Olympus is outstanding for run and gun stuff, and that manual focus.. Some times, for us, hard working run and gunners, the ability to have such a lens is the difference between bread, or not, on the table!

I am waiting for the whole segment to unfold, and hopefully a C100mkIII or a JVC LS400 find its way to the market, but the GH5s is a very video orientated, specialized camera, that can last a few good years. Great investment in my opinion.

21 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

You forget I said it was also funny, and since you like to play the clown role, you ought to be elated!

No, I don't forget - that's because I wrote, and again, you are welcome. I mean, seriously - I'm really glad if you genuinely and sincerely loughs, no matter what/how you understand my word... or not.

But calling in easily gruff manner someone's words crazy - I think that it doesn't fit to you. We have some experts in it here, but please, don't include yourself in such team.