Is the EOS-M *THE* Digital Super-8 Camera?

Matt James Smith ?

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

(...) the flip side of that is that with this adapter and a compact EF-S all in one zoom like the Tamron 18-200mm or Sigma 18-250mm (both under €200 used), the EOS-M can become a stabilised, RAW shooting, pick it up and go camcorder for under €500.

Indeed! : )

And I already have four of them at my side... ;- )

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I missed this when it was announced a few months ago but Meike have released an EF>M adapter that has a drop in filter slot.

MeikeM.thumb.jpg.682d86fb288b11f888781195964db3b8.jpg

It ships as a package with both the Variable ND and clear filters but also has a polariser available too and of course supports all AF and IS functionality 

€165, I'd say its very reasonably priced for what it will add to EOS-M rigs but of course thats all relative when it costs more than the insanely cheap prices the actual camera itself goes for these days !

I know for many people using EF lenses goes against the grain of using such a small camera but the flip side of that is that with this adapter and a compact EF-S all in one zoom like the Tamron 18-200mm or Sigma 18-250mm (both under €200 used), the EOS-M can become a stabilised, RAW shooting, pick it up and go camcorder for under €500.

Great post BTW :- )

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 5 months later...

I realized recently that the FZ47 has a sensor that is almost the exact same width as Super 8mm film. I put a pistol grip on mine and used the tiny EVF (I did cheat and use the LCD a few times) and long zoom lens for a very Super 8-esque shooting experience. Next time I'll shoot in 640x480 instead of 1080P so that I can capture the correct aspect ratio in-camera. As a bonus, the 29.97fps looks very natural on a 15fps timeline. And of course I always love working with that global shutter.

@PannySVHSSometimes, I just want to make something that looks... messy. This was my first 15fps edit ever. It's not a frame rate I've ever been drawn to (including when shooting with my Super 8mm camera) but I figured, why not? The sensor size makes it uniquely qualified for trying to achieve this aesthetic.

I've also been trying to see if I can get a somewhat S16-like image out of this camera using Topaz Video AI among other things. But I'm just not there yet.

What I really appreciate about this camera is the combination the CCD sensor combined with pretty decent optical image stabilization. I can handhold a shot at longer focal lengths, all in a tiny and inconspicuous package. It opens up some unique possibilities that I am don't think would be possible with a rolling shutter.

I find that this kind of experimentation is the antidote to yet another perfect, pristine product shoot or talking head. I am so tired of looking at that stuff all day, but it pays the bills.

• 2 weeks later...

As it has not been up on the forums, I would just like to inform about some recent developments that actually could make the Eos M *THE* digital super-16 camera, as well as a much improved super-35 5.2k raw shooting camera. Just needs some financial support, which I personally think is more than justified. So, if you want an updated user experience for magic lantern on eos m, 650d, 700d and 100d, or just want to support magic lantern, have a look here: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26851.0

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for @Matt Kieley (or any other owner) about the Angenieux 8-64mm mentioned earlier in this thread. Does the filter thread on this lens rotate when focusing? Also, I see the filter thread is 46.5mm, which is a very uncommon. Pro8mm sells an adapter to 58mm but it's $50. Have you had any luck with, say, a 46mm step up ring?

10 hours ago, QuickHitRecord said:

I have a question for @Matt Kieley (or any other owner) about the Angenieux 8-64mm mentioned earlier in this thread. Does the filter thread on this lens rotate when focusing? Also, I see the filter thread is 46.5mm, which is a very uncommon. Pro8mm sells an adapter to 58mm but it's $50. Have you had any luck with, say, a 46mm step up ring?

Yes the front thread rotates when you focus. I tried a 46mm step ring but it's too small. 

• 2 months later...