Is the EOS-M *THE* Digital Super-8 Camera?

Matt James Smith ?

Played around with some BMMCC raw. Exited to compare them both. My C-mount adapter was paid four weeks ago. Now it says it is back on its way to land of origin. Anyway fiddling with raw in Resolve is so much fun.

Btw, I had found another Eos M with the 15-55, an EF adapter, three batteries for 125EU. I was gonna go for it for having the adapter. But I asked the guy if he would sell the package for 115. But he didnt answer and next day it was gone. Of course:) The go for cheap. Grab them while they´re hot. I got mine with one battery for 75EUR.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Played around with some BMMCC raw. Exited to compare them both. My C-mount adapter was paid four weeks ago. Now it says it is back on its way to land of origin. Anyway fiddling with raw in Resolve is so much fun.

Btw, I had found another Eos M with the 15-55, an EF adapter, three batteries for 125EU. I was gonna go for it for having the adapter. But I asked the guy if he would sell the package for 115. But he didnt answer and next day it was gone. Of course:) The go for cheap. Grab them while they´re hot. I got mine with one battery for 75EUR.

A bargain, Marty... I bought four of them for €100 average a piece! :- )

Still waiting for the C to M mount adapter. Guess not anymore though. Tracking says, on the way to country of origin.:/

Bummer, in the EOS M package for 125Eu was a C-mount adapter included as well.:) Now, working with raw from my BMMCC in Resolve, noise reduction takes a toll on my computer. It´s not super trivial to get nice, undisturbing noise structure from Raw as the camera is getting from processing by using Prores.

3 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Now, working with raw from my BMMCC in Resolve, noise reduction takes a toll on my computer. It´s not super trivial to get nice, undisturbing noise structure from Raw as the camera is getting from processing by using Prores.

I found that grading the BMMCC images was completely different to anything I'd experienced before.  I suspect it's due to the fact it's RAW and so the challenge is to build a grade starting from scratch rather than having the camera do all sorts of things for you (if you want it to or not!).

This was also the case for the ML footage I took from my Canon 700D, and would be the case for the EOS-M too.

I'd suggest that you find some reference footage you like and use that as a guide for getting things in the ballpark and can adjust from there.  You could even shoot a test clip in both RAW and Prores and then use the Prores as a reference for what the camera is doing and as a starting point for your grade too, especially with NR and softness/sharpening.

@webrunner5 no Panny lenses for video on my mft cameras! 🙂  Would love the Voigts, Veydras or Laowas if going native of course.

@kye I did that, recorded in Prores and did the bonus take in RAW 3:1, In Prores it is a very pleasing grain structure, in RAW without noise reduction it was very hard edged. But great reference point, having both for the same shot, just like you suggested! 🙂

Not at all. @webrunner5 I don´t use electronic Panny lenses nor other native lenses for video. I only own one native mechanical lens, the 12mm SLR Magic which I only used a couple times until I bought a Fujinon 12.5mm C-Mount. One of my favorite lenses on MFT with a focal reducer is a Canon nFD 28mm 2.8 which I bought for 20 EUR a couple years ago.

There is no continuous AF on old BM cameras. So using a AF lens is not a drawback. Using them just makes your life easier. Push a button instant ETTR, push a button you are in focus, what else you need. You are just making a simple camera more difficult to operate. I am not saying to never use a MF lens on one, but to totally eliminate a Panasonic or Olympus lens is interesting.

And the newer MFT cameras. well sure maybe then.

I just bought a Canon FD 35mm F2. I put it to use with the BMMCC and a 0.71x focal reducer last weekend. Focus was manually done by a 1st AC via Tilta Nano. A native electronic 12-35mm would not have cut it.

But I can see that continious AF is of course an interesting thing on newer cameras and for videography especially. @webrunner5

I'm starting to test out raw shooting with this camera again. The mlvapp workflow is definitely faster with my Macbook Air M1 than with my old PC when I first tried out raw 5 years ago. I just got a good deal on an Angenieux 8-64mm f/1.9 (as well as a loupe and pistol grip for Super 8 style shooting) that I'm dying to try out.

Just got the Angenieux in the mail. This lens looks practically unused, except for some scuffs on the lens cap. It even comes with its original caps and lens hood. Focus and zoom are super smooth. I did a flashlight test and only saw a faint amount of dust particles inside. It's gorgeous. But now I have to get the reglomatic motor off, and I'm not sure how it can be done. The Schneider 6-66mm had a few simple screws to remove but this lens seems a bit different. I would ask cantsin but he hasn't posted here since 2018.

I already came across that video, which is for the Angenieux 6-80mm. This 8-64mm doesn't have normal screws on the side like that. There are some kind of smooth screws or pegs or something. I honestly am not sure what they are or how to remove them. It even looks kinda like they're cemented in or something. I know this part can be removed because Pro 8mm removes them from this specific lens for their Max 8 modified cameras, I just don't know how.

• 1 month later...

Cannot wait to see it! Some crazy Pete in action! 🙂 @Matt Kieley

I found my all time EOS M RAW footage when it comes to colour. Makes Berlin look like before all the greedy hipster and gated community freaks fxxed up the community and heart and soul of the city. I know it sounds kinda harsh but girls n boys, they really bulldozered many, many landmarks of Berlin to build cement monoliths for rich, tastless fxxers from all over the world. Nothing against wealthy people, just against the powerful axxxholes among them who fxxxk up everything with their money. Anyway, here is the beautiful EOS M in its most impressive colour glory, imho.

Btw, my C-mount to Eos M-mount didnt arrive but I got the full refund. Very nice of the seller. Anyway, I a slouch when it comes to rig up cameras.:/