Is the EOS-M *THE* Digital Super-8 Camera?

Matt James Smith ?

16 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

The 2.5K mode uses almost half of the x-axis 5184 pixels of the Eos M sensor. That would equal about 10.7mm as the Eos M sensor counts 22.2mm sensor width. The og pocket counts 12.48mm width. So Magic Lantern Raw is providing a smaller sensor area than the OG Bmpcc.

@ZEEK posted these figures a little over a year ago

On 9/23/2020 at 10:31 PM, ZEEK said:

For the EOS M ML RAW Modes, Jip-hop a while back posted the calculations of how the modes compare relative to the width of a full frame sensor (The Crop Factor).
1080 RAW Mode [1736x976] = 1.6x Crop Aps-c
1080 RAW Mode + x3 Crop Mode Enabled 1800px wide = 4.61x Crop (1.6x * 2.88x) 
2.5K RAW Mode @2.35:1 = 3.29x Crop (1.6 * 2.06) 
2.8K RAW Mode @2.35:1 = 2.96x Crop (1.6 * 1.85) - (Closest mode to Super16 or the BMPCC FOV)

EOS M sensor size: 22.3 x 14.9 mm
EOS M sensor width: 5184px

Evidently, the 2.8K mode is closest to BMPCC, and it works with Super16 lenses.

However, it would be wise to watch some of the EOSM settings videos from @ZEEK , to see how much the resolution must be reduced to get continuous recording.  Also, I think that reducing the resolution creates a smaller image capturing area.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Eos M has a 3x bitrate hack as well for the hardcore 8bit wizzards.

Tragic lantern and another special ML build will give you ALL-I H264, as well.

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

What window size does Magic Lantern Raw allow on the Eos M?

You can get continuous, raw, ML video on the full sensor (1736x976), plus a bunch of crop modes with higher resolution.

@webrunner5Yes, Don, I think an OG Bmpcc with a cheap 10, 25 and 50mm C-mount might be easier to approach. Zeek just makes it look without hassle looking at it from my superficial perspective.

I tested my Bmmcc only once and it looked perfect to my eye. It is not a hasslefree camera regarding rigging though. Out of the box the Eos M appears to be a fun camera once set up with the right ML settings.

Thank you for the infos! @tupp

It's interesting that we are looking for the perfect personal camera from different ends, looking at high end hybrids like r5, s1h, a7s3, xt3 cams and from the low end as well. I love low end cameras and i love this thread.:)

3 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Eos M has a 3x bitrate hack as well for the hardcore 8bit wizzards.:) Allowing massive S35 sensor size instead that tiny Super8 gate. What window size does Magic Lantern Raw allow on the Eos M? Super 16 would rock.

I tried the 3x bitrate on my 700D and found it did very little to improve the standard compressed file, as both were low resolution (700D had ~1.7K) and were still over sharpened.  YMMV of course and the EOS-M is a different camera too.

1 hour ago, tupp said:

@ZEEK posted these figures a little over a year ago

Evidently, the 2.8K mode is closest to BMPCC, and it works with Super16 lenses.

However, it would be wise to watch some of the EOSM settings videos from @ZEEK , to see how much the resolution must be reduced to get continuous recording.  Also, I think that reducing the resolution creates a smaller image capturing area.

This is a great feature as 2.8K is a sweet spot in resolution I think.  It's hard to make a true 1920 sensor look sharp because it's not 1920 4:4:4 so the debayering adds a blur, but 2.5-2.8K adds just the right amount of oversampling without having 6K or 8K ridiculous-o-vision and the file sizes to match.

I was thinking about a beat up 5d3 for 400 Eur. But then the Eos M is such a small package with C-mount lenses and takes cheaper Sd cards and is much cheaper. Still got to look for adapter(s), 2nd and 3rd battery. I plan to take it as my to go camera rather than rigging it up. My S1  does 3x crop HD giving S16 feel but I find the Eos M super fascinating.

For 72eur i dont miss ibis. For 4999 i would miss full hdmi though.😊 @Emanuel

5 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I was thinking about a beat up 5d3 for 400 Eur. But then the Eos M is such a small package with C-mount lenses and takes cheaper Sd cards and is much cheaper. Still got to look for adapter(s), 2nd and 3rd battery. I plan to take it as my to go camera rather than rigging it up. My S1  does 3x crop HD giving S16 feel but I find the Eos M super fascinating.

For 72eur i dont miss ibis. For 4999 i would miss full hdmi though.😊 @Emanuel

This video might be of interest if you haven't already seen it.

But I'm not sure how large you want to rig your camera though, which is Matteo's main stabilisation strategy IIRC.

Another tasty treat to watch before going to bed. Ordered a C-mount to Eos M adapter today. Will take a while to get here from the land of Olympic Wintergames 2022. Anyway, our friend zeek, who has no time to drop by anymore and is busy shooting great footage and uploading his beloved videos. Not a bad thing to do as we can see below.

Shot and edited over this past weekend. Been wanting to test out the Canon 35mm f2 IS and see whether or not it would be good for shooting on the M, especially with regards to image stabilization while shooting hand held.

Mixed it up with 3x crop to get an additional 100mm+ focal length for tight detail shots.

Shot 1080p MLV RAW
ISO 100 throughout
Aperture kept between f2-4

Cranked up shutter speed to adjust for exposure as needed.

23 hours ago, Media Lab by Belal Khan said:

Shot and edited over this past weekend. Been wanting to test out the Canon 35mm f2 IS and see whether or not it would be good for shooting on the M, especially with regards to image stabilization while shooting hand held.

Mixed it up with 3x crop to get an additional 100mm+ focal length for tight detail shots.

Shot 1080p MLV RAW
ISO 100 throughout
Aperture kept between f2-4

Cranked up shutter speed to adjust for exposure as needed.

Great camera test - I'm a big fan of testing stuff by taking video of my family and editing it up into a finished video so you can keep it as a memory.

Colour and images look really good.  I also use crop modes on my setup (GH5) which can be a little softer due to the limited resolution on vintage lenses - I find that adding a bit more sharpening can help to even out the shots.

Hallo Emanuel, it arrived safely more than a week ago. Now I am waiting for a Cmount adapter which should arrive from winter olympics land. Ebay gives an approximate date in March! It is in perfect condition. Holds and weights beautifully in the hand. Thinking about the 22mm pancake. The 20mm pancake on M43 was one of my favorites btw when i got my first Dslm back then, a used Gf1, which is my favorite photo camera body up to this day. Quiete irrational and only due to its design and simplistic beauty. Hope the 22 does not have that gnarling MF and the super plasticy touch of the Pana 20mm. The Eos M recalls some of the exitement of the Gf1 days in me. My Gx85 is different but an awesome lil cam in its own right.

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot wait to try mine! C-mount adapter still traveling across the world though. Thinking about getting the 22mm pancake for shuttertherapy. Reminds me of the good old days when I read with exitement about the GF1 on Steve Huffs blog, which was my internet leisure time spot No 1 back then. I can feel some of that old exitement with the outlook on using this little beauty soon! Fujinon 12.5mm and here we go. EOS M and Angie 75mm on a light photo tripod (baddie even covers S35 with soft vignettes) and we are set for ultimate nerdom camera pleasures! Gotta get a kewl hat like Zeek🙂