Is the EOS-M *THE* Digital Super-8 Camera?

Matt James Smith ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Darn this thread it tasty as the other other EOS M RAW thread. Both threads are some of the greatest browsing pleasures for nerds like us. 🙂  Anyone shooting narrative shorts with this beauty? How does it hold up against a BMPCC? Anyway our friend @ZEEK has provided us with beautiful pieces like this one.

Yes!  The EOSM with ML raw is amazing, and @ZEEK has a great eye!  EOSM ML raw videos are constantly appearing on YouTube.

This guy also does nice work with the EOSM.

18 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

How does it hold up against a BMPCC?

I don't think it does.  I own a BMMCC and wanted to buy an all-in-one RAW 1080p camera and narrowed it down to the EOS-M and the OG BMPCC (P2K).  I binge watched Zeeks channel, which shows off the camera really well, but the impression I got from the EOS-M footage is that it has low-DR and clips hard, just like the Canon video modes that most Canon cameras have.

Despite the EOS-M shooting a higher resolution and being half the cost, I went with the P2K.

On 2/28/2020 at 9:44 PM, Matt James Smith ? said:

Here's the footage I shot (and threw a load of film emulation effects on top of). It's not edited into anything interesting it's just 20min of stuff ... so skim through and find the bits you like.

Some other nice stuff posted here folks - nice to see! The main tips I'd give are:

1. Be aware of the horrific aliasing - tree branches against a bright sky look just horrific. I've added a strongwomen Tiffen Digital Diffusion or HDTVFX filter to the front of the already soft 6mm lens, which suits the consumer 8mm look I'm going for and deals with most of the aliasing. Adding grain in post helps diffuse it too.

2. Rolling shutter. It's awful. Put the strap on the camera and pull it taught around your neck (or use a loupe) to avoid jitters. A pistol grip handle helps too as the EOSM is not an easy camera to hold steady. Then stabilise the footage and correct the rolling shutter in post as best you can (I use Lock & Load).

Here's the vid. I'm pretty pleased with it as a Super 8 simulation.

Pw: S8mm

It is very lovely and the image is convincingly natural.
I thought aliasing on the eos m only exist on line skipping video? 

Wondered about the use of variable nd on cctv lens (especially the pentax 6mm f1.2), does the whole element spin during focus?
The footage is really nice and I can't see the effects of rolling shutter.

I recently upgraded to a new laptop that can actually handle Resolve Lite, which only occasionally worked on my previous laptop, so I threw in some old EOS M (with Canon FD 35-105mm 3.5) footage I shot behind the scenes of a music video in 2017 or '18. I just wanted to see what Resolve Lite could do with this old 8 bit footage scaled to 4K, with the WB pushed to a cooler tone, and 16mm grain added. There's no music as I only made this for my own reference, but decided to share anyway for anyone else who might be curious, or just for EOS M fans. I still have one and it I still think it looks pretty good with the right lighting/lenses/post.

8 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

I recently upgraded to a new laptop that can actually handle Resolve Lite, which only occasionally worked on my previous laptop, so I threw in some old EOS M (with Canon FD 35-105mm 3.5) footage I shot behind the scenes of a music video in 2017 or '18. I just wanted to see what Resolve Lite could do with this old 8 bit footage scaled to 4K, with the WB pushed to a cooler tone, and 16mm grain added. There's no music as I only made this for my own reference, but decided to share anyway for anyone else who might be curious, or just for EOS M fans. I still have one and it I still think it looks pretty good with the right lighting/lenses/post.

Nice work, that's a convincing film grade with the lens aberrations, the grain, the unstabilised motion, and the colours pushed to that level of saturation. 

Also, totally normal behaviour for people just chilling in the park lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 7:16 PM, Matt James Smith ? said:

I’ve been messing once again with using my EOSM as a Digital Super 8 camera and I’m pretty happy with the results. 

For the video below I used the following setup.

6mm f/1.2 Pentax TV lens (paper shim between lens and C mount-EOSM adapter, for infinity focus)
Tiffen Digital Diffusion 5 filter (reduces moire artefacts)
EOSM with latest ML build
18fps override (exact)
5x zoom
12bit lossless RAW
4:3 aspect
1440 x 1080 

i just used the aperture ring for exposure, rather than ND, as it seemed more authentically consumer Super 8.

This video has effects applied - FilmConvert’s Super 8 grain; FCPX native “aged film” effect applied very sparingly for jitter and a little dust; a telecine’d Super 8 black frame (keyed over footage). If there is interest, I can post the ungraded footage.

may I know how much of spacer shim did you add to adjust for infinity focus?

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, kye said:

What was it about the camera / footage that you didn't like?

Manual focus.

Then there's the build quality, the rolling shutter, the unfixable red dots/focus pixels or stripes using certain settings. I wouldn't say those are deal-breakers compared to its secondhand price.

There's also the fact that it's 2021. It is not a discreet camera.

• 6 months later...

I have a EOS-M and when it works it is killer, but damn how often does it work right. It is the most frustrating camera I have ever owned. Main reason I bought my OG BMPCC. And even it is not easy to consistently get great results, but it is at least pretty trustworthy compared to the EOS-M.

In this day and age I think both are hardly worth it with so many choices now out there used. By the time you rig out a OG BMPCC you can by the new 4K version and have a heck of a lot better luck overall getting what you are looking for, and have real 4K to boot.

20 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I have a EOS-M and when it works it is killer, but damn how often does it work right. It is the most frustrating camera I have ever owned. Main reason I bought my OG BMPCC. And even it is not easy to consistently get great results, but it is at least pretty trustworthy compared to the EOS-M.

In this day and age I think both are hardly worth it with so many choices now out there used. By the time you rig out a OG BMPCC you can by the new 4K version and have a heck of a lot better luck overall getting what you are looking for, and have real 4K to boot.

I went down the ML RAW path for a bit with my 700D.  The files were fine but it was unreliable and a bit finicky in some ways.  The 700D build was (at the time, not sure now) one of the most developed, but the RAW was still experimental at that time and I was using the 10-bit compressed variant, so multiple experimental features within an experimental build.

@mercer says that the 5D build is rock solid and he never has any issues with his, which I think he shoots with on a weekly basis (or more).

YouTuber Zeek has a channel which features a heap of EOS-M ML RAW material, so if you're looking for advice then his channel probably contains the stable builds and various tips for it.  

When I watch YouTuber Zeek I want to slit my wrists on how good he makes his videos and how good his output is. I am convinced he is the only person in the world that can do it lol. It sure isn't me. 

I would never discourage anyone from buying one, it is the cheapest way to learn how to grade and color raw files by Far. And if you have more desire than I have to just try 2000 times to learn it well it should work, I guess, I stress, I guess. 😬

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Not sure Panny.

Hallo Don, i think, i found an answer. The 2.5K mode uses almost half of the x-axis 5184 pixels of the Eos M sensor. That would equal about 10.7mm as the Eos M sensor counts 22.2mm sensor width. The og pocket counts 12.48mm width. So Magic Lantern Raw is providing a smaller sensor area than the OG Bmpcc.