Is the EOS-M *THE* Digital Super-8 Camera?

Matt James Smith ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I haven't compared to the Olympus but the camera gives me great looking images. I could talk for hours about this camera, its a lot of fun.
If anyone ever thought about getting one, now is the time. Because in a week or two my review will bump those ebay prices to the moon.

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

It finally showed up. The adapter was a pixco.

IMGP0364-2.thumb.jpg.8701405621d29088a1e17b0e45c0f026.jpg

Aah, thought you meant an adapter for the EOS-M. Yes, there are plenty of d mount adapters for the Pentax Q. My review of d mount lenses was shot with one.

The Pentax has a usable flat color profile, but only 30p and a weak codec (and lots of artificial sharpening you can't dial out). Made this video 5 years ago with a first-generation Pentax Q and adapted Kern Switar 13mm/f0.9 d-mount lens: 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 3:37 PM, Alpicat said:

I just started using the crop rec 4k experimental build on the EOS-M, and when shooting in movie crop mode it goes up to 1800x1024 resolution (max resolution available for 1:1 crop mode) at 23.976 fps, shooting continuously in 10-bit lossless raw, or approx a minute or so in 12-bit lossless. That's close to full HD, which is incredible for this camera. To me it looks great, and also the focus pixels seem to have gone. What's nice about movie crop mode is that it displays the image at the normal framerate in colour with the correct framing, no choppy b&w preview.

I'm using this programme to convert files to DNGs directly from the SD card into the harddrive: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10526.100   (latest version of the program is in page 5)

How do you get "the normal framerate in colour with the correct framing, no choppy b&w preview" with the "crop rec 4k experimental build"? I assume you are not using the Magic Lantern Preview but the canon stock preview mode? If so, the framing is always 16:9. When I use the Magic Lantern Preview mode instead of the canon one, the image is very choppy, almost unusable, but you can get other framings like 4:3.

3 minutes ago, byuri734 said:

How do you get "the normal framerate in colour with the correct framing, no choppy b&w preview" with the "crop rec 4k experimental build" I assume you are not using the Magic Lantern Preview but the canon preview mode? If so, the framing is always 16:9. When I use the Magic Lantern Preview mode instead of the canon one, the image is very choppy, almost unusable, but you can get other framings like 4:3.

In the magic lantern menu, I'm using the "real-time preview" option under the Raw video options (selectable under the Preview options). This gives me the correct framing (including correct aspect ratio) in live view if I press the "info" button on the camera a couple times until the magic lantern overlay appears. Also Global draw has to be enabled - ensure that's switched on in the magic lantern menu.

I'm doing this with the Movie crop mode enabled (i.e. the "600D style movie-crop mode"). If you try this with another crop mode, you won't get the correct framing.

Here's a very quick test I shot with a Schneider / Beaulieu Optivaron 6-66mm f1.8 super 8 lens. 12-bit lossless, continuous shooting at 1392x1028 resolution. You can't really go higher than this resolution without getting excessive vignetting, and 4:3 aspect ratio is definitely the way to go with this lens. 

Also here's a test with an EF-M 15-45mm stock lens, this time at 1792x1030 resolution. I wrote the music on ableton live for both these videos.  

Using the full sensor you can't go beyond 1736x692 without cropping on the eos m, and it's not very usable given the amount of aliasing / moire unfortunately. Instead I'm using movie crop mode which allows you to record 1800x1024 with a 4.66x crop (from full frame).

Using the 5x zoom mode you can shoot 1920x1080 (4.37x crop) and even up to 2.5k, but then you don't get the correct framing on liveview, it's very zoomed in.

The resolutions I've mentioned are the limit that magic lantern imposes on this particular camera - that's just the way they designed it. It might be because it would be unstable to go beyond, not sure. In any case, the limited card write speed (40 mb/s) plays a major factor in this limitation - with the higher resolutions you can only record a couple seconds of footage before the buffer fills up. 

I can confirm that the "Beaulieu Optivaron 6-66mm f1.8" vignettes as @Alpicat showed. Does anyone have a Angenieux   8-64mm 1.9 to test in crop mode to see if it also vignettes at 4:3 (1408x1030)? I would like to buy one, but before that it would be good to know if it would cover this resolution. Perhaps @cantsin or someone else?

According to Pro 8mm the 6-66mm will vignette with a Super 8 camera with the Max 8 modification (which is basically an enlarged gate). However, they say the Angenieux 8-64mm will not vignette on this Max 8 mod. Then, it seems the Angenieux should have a larger image circle.

https://www.pro8mm.com/products/schneider-lens?variant=30610041601

https://www.pro8mm.com/products/angenieux-lens?variant=30609178561

I can confirm that Schneider CCTV 12.5-75mm 1.8 covers the crop mode fine. It is a relatively small light for a zoom, but of course the fun is in having a real Super 8 covering as much the sensor as possible.  

19 hours ago, byuri734 said:

I can confirm that the "Beaulieu Optivaron 6-66mm f1.8" vignettes as @Alpicat showed. Does anyone have a Angenieux   8-64mm 1.9 to test in crop mode to see if it also vignettes at 4:3 (1408x1030)? I would like to buy one, but before that it would be good to know if it would cover this resolution. Perhaps @cantsin or someone else? 

I don't even know how to activate 1408x1030 in ML on the EOS-M. Do you need the experimental build with 10bit/12bit and mlv_lite for that? (I've skipped this so far because the module doesn't record sound.)

54 minutes ago, cantsin said:

I don't even know how to activate 1408x1030 in ML on the EOS-M. Do you need the experimental build with 10bit/12bit and mlv_lite for that? (I've skipped this so far because the module doesn't record sound.)

Thanks. so, are you using the standard ML build with 14 bit raw. What is the maximum resolution you get in crop mode for Super 8 lens?

I don't think you need the experimental build to activate higher resolutions on EOS M, all you need to do is select the movie crop mode or use the 5x zoom mode and in theory you can select any resolution you like up to the 2.5k limit (or 1800x1030 limit in movie crop mode)- that applies to any build of magic lantern on EOS M. However the limitation on the standard build is that you're stuck with 14 bit uncompressed raw - and the data rate is so high that you can't go much further than 1280x720 if you want continuous recording on the standard build. For higher resolutions you need the experimental builds.

The 10/12 bit experimental build still allows you to use the regular mlv_rec and sound modules I think, so you can record sound and shoot 10 bit uncompressed raw for example. That should be sufficient for you if you're aiming for 1408x1030. However if you want to get longer record times with higher resolutions, you'll need the "4K raw video recording; lossless compression" experimental build, and that only works with mlv_lite module - i.e. no sound. 

The experimental builds are here: https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

Hi folks... which adapter are you using for the Super 8 lens? I noticed that the Schneider 6-66mm in the fotasy adapter screws too much, passing the optimal point. I cannot get constant focus through the zoom range, specially towards the wide end with a 1.8 aperture. Did you notice this problem with your adapters or did you find a solution? I had read the the schneider-beaulieu lens did not have exactly the standard c-mount flange distance, because of the internal filter of the super 8 lens: it seems to be true.