Thoughts About Skintone?

fuzzynormal

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

It's an unhacked GH1.  I'm currently in an edit seat not my own.  It's a donated crap monitor/PC-setup, so I'm not really sure what's what... FWIW, I'm thinking the mids need to be warmer, but if it's decent, I'll roll with it.

Looks good. Are you mixing daylight and tungsten? Mixing two different colors of light on the face is pretty stylized but maybe it works for what you're doing. I think the tone is good but maybe you could reduce the amount of orange on the left side of the face/arm.

3 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

Looks good. Are you mixing daylight and tungsten? Mixing two different colors of light on the face is pretty stylized but maybe it works for what you're doing. I think the tone is good but maybe you could reduce the amount of orange on the left side of the face/arm.

That's a bunch of bounce from nearby orange furniture, actually...but yeah, I could even it out in post; not gonna get too crazy though, just looking to get it in the ballpark.

On 1/27/2018 at 9:40 AM, fuzzynormal said:

Looking for color feedback based on what I'm doing during a volunteer gig. (shot using daylight)

Sequence 02.00_00_16_03.Still001.jpg

I think the image overall looks smoother if you can reduce the tint caused from the orange furniture. This is what I came up with. Pretty close to the original - a bit more golden. I'm mainly just looking at the skin on memory colors and reducing the red.

Looks2.jpg

13 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I will eventually, but they just got the cams a few days before this particular volunteer project --and for talking head stuff it was fine as is. 

What hack will you use?

13 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I mean, that's a $90 camera getting that shot. Not bad. 

The value for money is off the charts!!!

4 hours ago, BenEricson said:

I think the image overall looks smoother if you can reduce the tint caused from the orange furniture. This is what I came up with. Pretty close to the original - a bit more golden. I'm mainly just looking at the skin on memory colors and reducing the red.

Looks pretty off, did you calibrate your monitor and check the white balance? Seems about 10 points too yellow, and 3-5 points too green.

6 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

The original frame grab, on my Macbook Pro monitor, looks by far the nicest out of all those posted so far. I've colour checked it a few months ago, so it could be slightly off now.

This is more what I was going for. I'm on a 2015 iMac monitor now. I think playing off the gold/yellow rather than the red. Based on this Carol frame. Shot on 16mm film.

Looks6.jpg

rs-217223-carol1.jpg

What do you think of something like this?

5a72c27c65326_ScreenShot2018-02-01at9_31_34AM.png.1fc239df455fca91c9cf20c5d2557832.png

I took what you posted last, and kind of massaged it into more of a 16mm film color space.  (I think I could do better with an ungraded raw still, the multi-generation screenshot is probably a little rough at this point:-)  Her skin exposure still needs to come down in my opinion, but I can't do it with the still as there isn't really any info left there to bring down.