Panasonic GH6 - Predictions

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There's one safe prediction: Panasonic had to design the GH5s without IBIS because the GH5 body didn't provide enough physical space for the larger multi-aspect sensor & IBIS suspension mounting. So I expect that the GH6 will have a newly designed, slightly larger body that will allow IBIS in both camera/sensor variants.

I'd also expect a number of upgrades in the camera electronics, including faster sensor readouts with higher frame rates at 10bit, substantially improved autofocus, generally improved signal processing (including color science and noise filtering). HDR and VLog will likely be out-of-the-box features.

In the light of the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics, the mainline GH6 is quite likely to be pimped to recording 8k video. Since 48 Megapixels (8000x6000) make no sense on a Four Thirds sensor, but will lead to noisy pixels, bad low light and inferior dynamic range, we will likely be grateful for Panasonic's decision to split up the GH line into two models - and stick with the GH*s for serious filmmaking in the future.

36 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

All these references to the 2020 Olympics - do you all really think that a Gh6 would be the camera of choice for the broadcasters?

Panasonic's GH product manager said so in an interview when asked about the future developments of the camera line. But this is not about broadcasters, but consumers who buy cameras that are spec-wise on par with broadcast standards - and their home 8K tv sets that will have been rolled out by then.

@cantsin how much bigger? It is already the biggest and heaviest mirrorless there is, with the smaller sensor. I do not think size had anything to do with that decision. Also, none of the interviews I listen to mentioned anything like this, of course I could be wrong.

8K TV won't be a reality at 2020. I do not even own a 4K TV at 2018. I see 8K more appropriate for specilized purposes, like Virtual Reality and 360 videos.

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@cantsin how much bigger? It is already the biggest and heaviest mirrorless there is, with the smaller sensor. I do not think size had anything to do with that decision. Also, none of the interviews I listen to mentioned anything like this, of course I could be wrong.

8K TV won't be a reality at 2020. I do not even own a 4K TV at 2018. I see 8K more appropriate for specilized purposes, like Virtual Reality and 360 videos.

https://www.google.com/search?q=blackmagic+cinema+camera+sensor+size+comparison&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=3wEsfPLEcBpwoM:

On 1/27/2018 at 3:22 AM, AaronChicago said:

Realistic next steps would be 6K (maybe 8K) up to 30fps. Internal ND. 4K 120fps. They can't really cannibalize their cinema line (EVA1, VariCam) so I highly doubt they're going to add a sensor that is better than those 2. Unless by that time their cinema cameras have all new sensors.

I'd hazard a guess that the Varicam line won't be an update before the GH line up gets their GH6.

And I'm CERTAIN the EVA1 won't before the GH6! (although if we're lucky we might see an EVA1 MFT before then? PLEASE!)

I just might be able to understand posting a topic like this years ahead of the next release if the GH5* wasn’t already an enormously capable filmmaking tool jam-packed with videocentric features like wave form monitor and vector scopes, anamorphic de-squeeze, dual IBIS, dual SD card slots which, unlike the Sony, both record at the same high speed, unlimited record time, world camera, headphone jack and mic input, decent preamps, internal 10-bit 400Mbps ALL-Intra, no overheating, sensible menus, class leading battery life, 4K 60p, HLG, the ability to store LUTs and save settings to an SD card - all at the ridiculously low price of $1,800 - making it even more of a bargain than the GX80/G80: but I’ve yet to see any work at all from the complainers that even begins to approach the level of filmmaking displayed in Wex Photographic’s lovely Slovenia video or Bernard Bertrand’s all too brief boxing video, as well as dozens of of others shot with the GH4, GH3 and GH2. I would recommend instead doing what others like @Oliver Daniel are doing - which is to go out and hone your skills as a filmmaker. If better low light performance, a full frame sensor and PDAF are what you want, these needs have already been amply documented. What exactly is the point of this thread? 

@jonpaisIt is a bit pointless to be honest, GH5 is not even 1 year old. If people want a new camera every 6 months, then there is something going wrong in this world (get the big picture, having new products every few months will impact working hours, the environment, depreciation of prices, etc etc, it is not as simple as putting a couple of features and call it a new camera, especially on multinational corporation level). 

I disagree with the "class leading battery" though, the GH5 is nothing like the GH4 or NX1, for that matter. We tend to carry 4-6 batteries per GH5 per working day, while I only have 4 batteries among 2 NX1 cameras I usually use. I believe it is slightly better than Sony cameras, but not much really, at least that is my impression, as GH4 are rather rare these days.

@DBounce sorry, I didn't get your point. I compared "mirrorless cameras". GH5 is 139x98x87mm/725g  NX1 is 139x102x66mm/550g while the first has a 13x17.30mm sensor and the other 15.7x23.5mm. Sony and Canon APS-C cameras are even smaller and lighter (that is the other extreme though, in terms of ergonomics), X-T2 133x92x49mm/507g (I would like a little bigger grip here), and A7Riii is 127x96x74mm/657g with an even larger sensor (24x35.9mm), and older mkII versions are even smaller and lighter (which is a disadvantage of the older generation, as full frame lenses need more grip).

The point was that GH5 is already as big and heavy as it should, a little bit more on both, would become a disadvantage (for me already is a bit heavier and has more depth than it should).

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:@DBounce sorry, I didn't get your point. I compared "mirrorless cameras". GH5 is 139x98x87mm/725g  NX1 is 139x102x66mm/550g while the first has a 13x17.30mm sensor and the other 15.7x23.5mm. Sony and Canon APS-C cameras are even smaller and lighter (that is the other extreme though, in terms of ergonomics), X-T2 133x92x49mm/507g (I would like a little bigger grip here), and A7Riii is 127x96x74mm/657g with an even larger sensor (24x35.9mm), and older mkII versions are even smaller and lighter (which is a disadvantage of the older generation, as full frame lenses need more grip).

The point was that GH5 is already as big and heavy as it should, a little bit more on both, would become a disadvantage (for me already is a bit heavier and has more depth than it should).

The BMCC is a mirrorless camera. Granted, it is not a hybrid camera, but rather a dedicated video camera. I guess my point is there are larger bodies out there with smaller sensor if we are talking "video". For me the GH5 is a good size... not too small, not too large. The NX1 was also a good size. Would I cry if it was slightly larger? Probably not, but then again I have gotten use to lugging around the 1DXMk2, so I might be jaded.

On Sonntag, 28. Januar 2018 at 6:46 PM, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

All these references to the 2020 Olympics - do you all really think that a Gh6 would be the camera of choice for the broadcasters?

Panasonic will take advandtage of the 2020 Olympics in their own country to launch new hybrids. Tokyo 2020, heck yes, you bet they gonna launch some nice cameras. Pride in their tech and national heritage commands that opportunity like no other!

On Dienstag, 30. Januar 2018 at 6:10 AM, IronFilm said:

Look at any ENG camera from the last few decades. 
BIG body, teeny sensor. 

3 CMOS 2/3 inch 4K  broadcast cameras from Ikemgami and JVC, very recent 4K tech too:)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Panasonic has created a new sensor technology that is earmarked for the GH6. This new sensor can adjust sensitivity of each pixel individually using the per pixel ND function. And all of this is done at 8k resolution. 

From the press release:

“Panasonic Develops Industry’s-First*1 8K High-Resolution, High-Performance Global Shutter Technology using Organic-Photoconductive-Film CMOS Image Sensor
The new technology enables 8K high resolution and high picture quality imaging without motion distortion, even in extremely bright scenes.“

You can read more here.