Zoom F1 recorder

IronFilm

Key Features:

• Two-channel audio recorder
  • Includes LMF-1 omnidirectional lavalier microphone
  • Lightweight and low-profile design—attaches to belts and waistbands, or fits inside pockets without being seen
  • Compatible with all Zoom microphone capsules
  • Supports up to 24-bit/96 kHz audio
  • Broadcast WAV format (BWF)—files are automatically time-stamped
  • 1.25" monochromatic LCD display can be read under bright light
  • Stereo 1/8" mic/line input jack with plug-in power (2.5V)
  • Stereo 1/8" phone/line output jack with dedicated volume control
  • Built-in limiter and auto level control to avoid clipping
  • Low-cut filter
  • Pre-Record function
  • Tone generator for calibrating audio levels between the F1 and a camera
  • Sound marker function outputs quick tone for syncing audio and video
  • Micro-USB port for data exchange to and from computer
  • Use as an audio interface to record directly to your computer or iOS device
  • Runs on two standard AAA alkaline, Lithium, or NiMH rechargeable batteries, or AD-17 AC adapter (available separately)
  • Up to 10 hours of operation with alkaline batteries (when using lavalier)
  • Includes windscreen, belt clip, mic clip

Available for US$199:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1385361-REG/zoom_zf1lp_zoom_f1_field_recorder.html

Or for US$249 with shotgun module:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1385362-REG/zoom_zf1sp_f1_field_recorder_with.html

Manual and Quick Guide:

https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_F1.pdf
https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_F1_QuickGuide.pdf

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Interesting.. I wonder if there is any basis in need of phantom power for a decent shotgun? Ambient TinyMike is pretty damn good without it, still sounding notably better when recorded with external recorder than in-camera (GH4/5).

It annoys me when people say "XLR" as if that was a hallmark of good sound. It's just a connector, the sound quality is mic and ADC dependent. Certainly, there's no need for balanced inputs for such short cable runs as having the mic on camera, and even with all this, we should have long since switched to mini XLR.

I have used the tascam one before and it has failed me multiple times. Not sure if its just the unit I was using...but we have had files totally corrupt..could be SD card too...but our Zoom H1's have always been tanks. I would choose this F1 over the tascam just on a brand perspective. I trust Zoom more. 

22 minutes ago, thefactory said:

It would make it bigger and more expensive, but I assume you could use the xlr capsule adaptor that’s available for the h6

Doesn't provide phantom power. But then again neither does the Tascam DR10X. 

If you want that, then you'll have to get the Saramonic SR-VRM1:

http://ironfilm.co.nz/saramonic-sr-vrm1-new-xlr-sound-recorder-coming-soon/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1349307-REG/saramonic_sr_vrm1_compact_liner_pcm_recorder.html

But I haven't had the greatest of experiences with Saramonic, I'd probably prefer to instead go the path of a Tascam DR10X paired with my Sound Devices MP-1 if for some reason I needed this set up. 

5 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I have used the tascam one before and it has failed me multiple times. Not sure if its just the unit I was using...but we have had files totally corrupt..could be SD card too...but our Zoom H1's have always been tanks. I would choose this F1 over the tascam just on a brand perspective. I trust Zoom more. 

Each to their own, we've all got our own preferences. 

I know personally that I've loved all the Tascams I've used and owned (wish Tascam would update their Tascam HS-P82 to make it lighter and with more features. If Zoom hadn't entered the market with their F series then I'd likely have stuck with my Sound Devices 552 / Tascam DR680 combo even now. Or maybe got a secondhand Tascam HS-P82).

While I have had a Zoom H1 break on me :-/  But that wouldn't put me off Zoom, it is their awful quality of the H4n and dreadful ergonomics of the H series in general that drives me away. However Zoom F series has totally changed all that! Great job done by Zoom.

Just is a pity the F1 lacks TC or detailed metadata control, not having any of that means I feel it shouldn't be in the F series at all.

• 3 weeks later...

@DaveAltizer Tascam all the way! Until the F series, Zoom wasn't even close to Tascam, especially for our line of work. I have used 4 such, small Tascam's through the years, and never had any problem. I would take the smaller size and weight anytime, for the job, or else I would be using a DR100mkII or III if I wanted anything bigger (and XLR).

If the F1 had an XLR connection on the same size and weight, that would be a different story.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

@DaveAltizer Tascam all the way! Until the F series, Zoom wasn't even close to Tascam, especially for our line of work. I have used 4 such, small Tascam's through the years, and never had any problem. I would take the smaller size and weight anytime, for the job, or else I would be using a DR100mkII or III if I wanted anything bigger (and XLR).

Agreed! Tascam was ruling the low budget sound world for years, with almost no one else coming close (that exception being Roland). But Zoom are crushing it with their new F8/F4! 

Tascam DR-100mkIII seems a little pricey for a two channel XLR recorder, is it worth it? 

I have been thinking of the Tascam DR44WL for a little small handheld one (if one pops up on eBay dirt cheap, say low hundred bucks), although I just noticed now to my surprised it has been discontinued!  :-o I wonder why, it only came out in 2015 :-o I see also the Tascam DR22WL is gone too! (which is one I own myself) Wonder if it is because they both have WiFi and Zaxcom interfered there too??

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Agreed! Tascam was ruling the low budget sound world for years, with almost no one else coming close (that exception being Roland). But Zoom are crushing it with their new F8/F4! 

Tascam DR-100mkIII seems a little pricey for a two channel XLR recorder, is it worth it? 

I have been thinking of the Tascam DR44WL for a little small handheld one (if one pops up on eBay dirt cheap, say low hundred bucks), although I just noticed now to my surprised it has been discontinued!  :-o I wonder why, it only came out in 2015 :-o I see also the Tascam DR22WL is gone too! (which is one I own myself) Wonder if it is because they both have WiFi and Zaxcom interfered there too??

I am not familiar with the 44/22, seemed more like gimmicks than real sturdy products. DR-100mkII and III are tough professional 2ch recorders. The number of inputs are irrelevant with their price, quality and functions. I own the mkII and I would like to upgrade to the III, but the differences are not that great. Only real differences of significance is the safety track, which the mkII doesn't have, slightly better pre amps and I remember the III had a couple of things worst than mkII.

The DR100 series always incorporated the best Tascam pre amplifiers, and the internal battery is a game changer for continuous recordings I do on documentaries and shows that need two Phantom powered mics running continuously for maybe 60-80minutes. I have 2 internal batteries, I could go with those for a full day without even using any AAs. The gain rotating dial at the side is ace too.

@Don Kotlosit isn't VERY small, but it pro grade construction and sound quality. A little bit to the expensive side also. Together with this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1115081-REG/sachtler_sn615_portable_digital_recorder_pouch.html (I have the Petrol version, same thing) is super portable and can boom and adjust gain the same time (though needs some experience for this!).

At the moment Tascam is no real competition to the F4/F8, but under those and in the entry level segment, Tascam is still king. Even without color screens.

1 minute ago, Kisaha said:

At the moment Tascam is no real competition to the F4/F8, but under those and in the entry level segment, Tascam is still king. Even without color screens.

I am holding out hope that Tascam/Roland/Marantz will bring out a response to the Zoom F8/F4, as if they at is successful and a notch above then perhaps that might be my next recorder?

But I'm so happy with my F4, that I'm in no rush, can wait :-)

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I am holding out hope that Tascam/Roland/Marantz will bring out a response to the Zoom F8/F4, as if they at is successful and a notch above then perhaps that might be my next recorder?

But I'm so happy with my F4, that I'm in no rush, can wait :-)

I thought you said your next recorder will be a SD 600 series one ;) 

I would like to see a response to the cheap SD series though.

9 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I thought you said your next recorder will be a SD 600 series one ;) 

Probably! But it is hard to compare two different products when neither have been even announced yet! (they might not even have started development yet on them! ha)