Say Your Goodbyes to SDR!

jonpais

In one of Arri’s papers covering the basics of HDR, this stood out the most (concerning making trim passes for diiferent deliverables):

Should I grade HDR or SDR first?

There is no consensus in the industry yet, which color grading strategy is better. Both approaches are being used today by HDR productions. The advantage of first grading for SDR is that most displays currently are still SDR, so you are grading first for the largest audience, and then making an HDR trim pass to also have an HDR deliverable. The advantage of first grading for HDR is that we have often found that this in turn also makes for a better SDR grade. However, the client who has seen the HDR will not be happy with the SDR. [italics my own] ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Axel I just finished watching Arri’s master class part two on lighting for HDR and Karl Walter Lindenlaub talks about being able to pull highlights down in post, but you’ve got to be extra careful about clipping I guess. Arri stresses the importance of having an HDR monitor on set, something us mere mortals could never afford. ? I also found the part about motion judder interesting - apparently it’s something DPs have had to deal with since the digital era, but now it looks like they’ve got to be extra careful. 

Edit: Arri diesn’t actually insist on HDR monitors on set, the reason being that they are not widely available, but if possible, they recommend having both SDR and HDR monitors on set, not to guard against clipping but to ensure that the creative intent of the scene is represented in both formats.

On 1/28/2018 at 1:55 PM, jonpais said:

@Eric Calabros That may be so, but HDR increases the brightness of specular highlights, like the glint of a sword in the moonlight, which is wonderful to behold.

I watched Mark's GH4/Shogun HDR video on my Pixel 2 while watching the video simultaneously on my regular desktop screen.

The Pixel 2 seemed contrastier and glossy, while my desktop monitor seemed more matte and lower contrast. The wood on the windows seemed glossy and shiny on the Pixel 2, for example. If it's reflecting some light source in the room, perhaps those are the specular highlights getting brighter?

I don't know if other differences in these screens explains my perception or if it's this support for HDR functionality.

@teddoman In SDR, specular highlights have been compressed. The brighter specular highlights of HDR are more natural looking. The higher local contrast of HDR also increases apparent sharpness. An advantage of OLED televisions when compared to even the best backlit LCD displays for HDR content is the near absence of blooming around highlights, particularly when next to deep blacks. Even film stock has an anti-halation layer to minimize blooming. You may actually like this effect, but you don’t necessarily want your display adding this artifact where there is none in the original footage.

77648339-53DE-4AE5-921E-DEF1EE38FF3C.jpeg