PhotoMatch: Automatic Image Color Grading

kinoseed

PhotoMatch is an app, which can auto-create LUT by a given image,
and in development right now is an image-adjustments module, with custom algorithms.

I'm looking for some feedback from you.
Do you like the image-adjustment algorithms better than the standard ones, used in just about any other software?
What do you think about the color-matching option?

You can run the app through just about any modern browser:  https://kinoseed.com/

Here are some examples of what it does:

Here's example of "temperature change" algorithm:
kinoseed.com_iADJ.thumb.jpg.66e0a553e3e25c152da590648a2ec012.jpg

Color-match algorithm:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

Looks nice, I got good results from the image-adjustments panel. However it wasn't clear at first what the sliders do, maybe titles would help. Also you should be able to reset a single slider. I can't comment on the color matching yet, but it looks like it does it's job.

Thanks.
Double-click on slider was added to reset to default. :thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

Nice, will that translate to double tap in the app? Btw is the app developed separately or do you use the same page in a webview?

It's the same code for everything, the app is using webview, with some additional JS interfaces (necessary as they don't have full integration), which are not on par with the web (like downloading the LUT, and selecting PNG is not available yet on the android app).

You can install it as PWA - from the browser, just add to homescreen, and it will be fully functional (as much as it is on the site).
*note PWA added by Firefox has bugs - switching back/forth to the app has some graphical issues, and the PWA can't "download" yet (the "blob" does not generate the needed files)

On the mobile, it seems hard to double-tap, as the slider moves slightly on the first tap, and second tap gets ignored.
(will have to do some redesigning for it to work)

Image adjustment module - algorithms' logic is updated.
Visual temperature changes should be even better now.

On 1/28/2018 at 3:16 AM, buggz said:

Is there an iPad version?

All you need is a modern browser. If Safari has problems, you can always use Chrome or Firefox.
I'm not sure if Apple allows for PWA (adding the app to homescreen, which is installing it), but Chrome and now Firefox (FF still has some bugs in PWA) now allow it on Android.

On Chrome you can use it as a "standalone" windowed app, just by "Install to desktop...".
However it needs some manual setup of Chrome, as it is still "experimental":
https://www.xda-developers.com/progressive-web-apps-chrome-how-to/

11 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

Wouldn't it work in a webview? Then you could compile it with Cordova/Phonegap to multiple platforms.

Not necessary, but I don't know.
Safari is lagging in HTML5 development significantly, and it was even behind Edge.
While starting developing the app, things were hellish on Apple devices
(only latest version was working, and they had no way of tracking,
which WebKit, which iOS update was using, the other browsers were only "wrappers"
and I think Chrome was failing too, and only FireFox worked).

For the Android app to work, there was the need for custom JS interfaces, which will allow "file-downloads" of generated in-device blob ObjectURLs (saving the image).

Since then, the code was dumbed down to allow as much backward compatibility as possible, so it should be more compatible now.

I don't have  experience with Cordova/Phonegap, but I doubt that simply loading the web URL in a webview will compile to a working app... will it?

Cordova/Phonegap is not made for redirecting to a web URL, it packages your entire web application into the app, and it runs it in a webview. It gives you access to hardware functions though specific javascript calls, and compiles to multiple platforms without too much effort. I'm not sure if this would work out for you, it all depends on the HTML5 support of the webview engines on each platform. Just something I though you might want to take a look at.

36 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

Cordova/Phonegap is not made for redirecting to a web URL, it packages your entire web application into the app, and it runs it in a webview. It gives you access to hardware functions though specific javascript calls, and compiles to multiple platforms without too much effort. I'm not sure if this would work out for you, it all depends on the HTML5 support of the webview engines on each platform. Just something I though you might want to take a look at.

Thanks. I did look at a whole bunch of "code once, compile for everything" solutions a while back,
but  decided on having "one code for all", without the need of platform specific compilation.

The Android app is simply a wrapper, for the webview (the whole app is actually loading in real time from the server, it's about 10Kb, the rest of the assets are cached and updated only when a new version is loaded on the server, and if you are offline, it loads an offline version from a serviceworker).
This way all updates are instant, and there is no need for "app update" on Android, but I don't know if that's possible for apple apps.

Well, in theory you could build a Cordova/Phonegap app where the index.html inside the app does nothing but a window.location.href redirection (as long as the target URL is whitelisted in the app). Then it would be the same as your app, and it could be compiled for other platforms too. I haven't tested it but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys, I can use some feedback from you. :)

The app has been progressing nicely, but I'll love if some of you give it a try and let me know what you think.

There are quite a few new things, the latest of which are "desktop installation" (via Chrome), full screen, and loading source image via URL:
desktop-version.thumb.jpg.4f41f8fed774bec63d30ef11caa1c0c4.jpg

Desktop installation is "in beta" from what I can see, but it is available by setting a couple of flags in Chrome even now.
Here are the instructions on how to "install to desktop":

21 minutes ago, kinoseed said:

Guys, I can use some feedback from you. :)

The app has been progressing nicely, but I'll love if some of you give it a try and let me know what you think.

There are quite a few new things, the latest of which are "desktop installation" (via Chrome) and loading source image via URL:
desktop-version.thumb.jpg.4f41f8fed774bec63d30ef11caa1c0c4.jpg

Desktop installation is "in beta" from what I can see, but it is available by setting a couple of flags in Chrome even now.
Here are the instructions on how to "install to desktop":

I'm a UX/UI designer by day. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow and provide first impressions, and if needed maybe some suggestions on flow and UI. So far, I like the premise a lot. Especially creating a grade from a color palette. And it was smart not to make the app native.