DJI Mavic Air

mkabi

UHD @ 100mbps, 32MP Panoramic pictures. $799USD

So.... its smaller... in my honest opinion, I was hoping that they were announcing the Mavic 2 with 1 inch sensor and more. Don't get me wrong, there are welcomed additions like mentioned above (100mbps, 32 MP pictures, etc), but not enough?

Anyway, I think the price is still a bit steep... but its fresh.... so by Christmas time this year... may be $499?

Who is interested in this thing?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looking forward to some more initial reviews. Never really was blown away with the quality out of the Mavic Pro (for some reason it always rendered far atmosphere in a funky way when shooting somewhat horizontally oriented with a bit of depth to the shot, though vertically pointing down it looked way nice (oh yeah, and there's like sharpened smudges)). At the other end of the spectrum, people were very enthusiastic about the Spark because it's the most fun to use. If it's some sort of hybrid, fun to use and really good quality... I might be tempted... even to spend like 300-400 bucks on becoming a licenced operator. Especially this year, now I'm getting a motorcycle and will take a break from being stuck in the big city and its public transport as well as taking it with to places like Mauritius where I doubt they'll be very strict about it.

Again, one inch sensor is impossible in these tiny drone. One inch is bigger than the entire Mavic Pro camera and lens by itself.

100mbps is very welcome compared to the horrible 4k 60mbps on the Mavic that is borderline not usable.

48 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

It uses wifi signal which is a major bummer (enhanced to 4km)

I prefer radio frequency much more because interference from wifi is atrocious!  Otherwise it is my dream drone for sure!

+1 on this, it's going to be bad, especially in urban environment with a lot of RF noise.

15 minutes ago, OliKMIA said:

Again, one inch sensor is impossible in these tiny drone. One inch is bigger than the entire Mavic Pro camera and lens by itself.

???

The camera on the P4P has an one inch sensor and isn't that much bigger (both the camera and the drone)...

May be the Air is too small for that camera, but the regular Mavic Pro... should be able to carry the camera thats on the P4P.

Look, if Autel Robotics is about to release one... I don't see why DJI can't do one????

If you don't know what I am talking about check this thread out:

The Mavic Pro has basically only more fly time per battery and better radio signal. The rest the Air is better so I suppose in the next 3-6 months there will be an upgrade to Mavic Pro because there is basically no value on the Pro at the moment.... Ideally would be with a bit of a redesign to be able to host the P4p camera.

Other than the crappy WiFi radio the rest I think is a very good drone for hobbits. Personally I don't like the video and photo quality of the Mavic Pro but for hobbits is quite ok. I find the P4p the bare minimum of acceptable quality. Hopefully the next round of upgrade of the Mavic Pro and Phantom series (if not merged) would bring even better video/photo quality.

One controller to rule them all. Seriously though, Casey forgot his Spark remote he said... aren't they like interchangeable... if not... why the hell not? I suppose it's 2.4Ghz bind-n-fly, so, it doesn't seem likely to be out of frequency interference. Weird.

Who is DJI competing with?! They make their drones better and better, and create new segments within their segments. I do not understand what’s the rush with all these releases.

Excellent little drone, 100mbps and one click moves is just amazing for most people.

A Mavic Pro Platinum with an 1” will be amazing for most pro people.

My feeling is that as DJI have just effectively upgraded the Sparks camera to the Mavic Pro with the Mavic Air, we are not far away from seeing the Mavic Pro camera upgraded to a 1 inch sensor (plus fixed lens) with the Mavic Pro 2. And then the Phantom 5 will probably be upgraded to interchangeable lenses (and built in ND) with the same 1 inch sensor.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Who is DJI competing with?! They make their drones better and better, and create new segments within their segments. I do not understand what’s the rush with all these releases.

Excellent little drone, 100mbps and one click moves is just amazing for most people.

They have plenty of competition in the drone market... unfortunately... I wish I knew their names...  in any case... if you really want to know just do a simple google search and if you don’t think that that is any kind of competitive products, go check a local bestbuy and you will see at least 3 other drones with 4K cams from their respective competitors...

BUT... I get where you are going with this... as a company that’s this fresh... less than a decade old... if you want to be a premium brand that sells premium products at a premium price (you have to admit their drones are expensive)... then you have to offer products that the others aren’t and you have to churn them out fast too so you can blow away the competition... I give it another 5 to 10 years before they slow down and have longer product cycles. Or... they can also be going the route that GoPro went down - towards the end I think they are selling the company to whoever wants it.

4 hours ago, mkabi said:

???

The camera on the P4P has an one inch sensor and isn't that much bigger (both the camera and the drone)...

May be the Air is too small for that camera, but the regular Mavic Pro... should be able to carry the camera thats on the P4P.

Look, if Autel Robotics is about to release one... I don't see why DJI can't do one????

Yeah, the P4P is like 2 or 3 time bigger than a Mavic Air and look at the camera and gimbal, the size factor is 1 to 5. Again, DJI doesn't do it because there is physical limitations. One inch is bigger than the current Mavic Pro camera + lens. One inch sensor requires big glass, big motor, space for the mechanism to move, more complex dampening system, etc. That's the same reason why you don't find smartphones with large sensor.

By the way,  the Autel EVO 1" sensor is not true. The truth is that Autel is in bad shape, like everybody else in the drone industry which stands in DJI's path (RIP : 3DR Solo, GoPro Karma, etc.). They got people excited to attract attention but it's BS. Now, they are back-pedaling after spreading some rumors at the CES. The EVO will come with the a tiny 1/2.3 sensor.

Good marketing move I guess. Autel is familiar with announcement that never materialized (X-Star 3 et Venture II). I don't blame them. It's very hard to be on this market.We need more competition but they don't have enough R&D money and keep running after DJI. Once they got something ready it's outdated and they must kill their margins to compete.

4 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

100mbps is very welcome compared to the horrible 4k 60mbps on the Mavic that is borderline not usable.

+1 on this, it's going to be bad, especially in urban environment with a lot of RF noise.

I think you are looking at this problem upside down. DJI have just put the Mavic Pro's camera in a smaller drone - the Mavic Air. So if they put a 1 inch sensor in a Mavic Pro 2 (which is a bit bigger than the Mavic Pro) you should look at it as putting the Phantom 4 camera in a much smaller body. With the Mavic Air now out, DJI have a good excuse for making a slightly larger Mavic Pro 2 to accommodate a inch sensor.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

They are not just competing, they are engaged in a war to kill the competition and they are almost done. They killed 3DR and its solo, they killed the GoPro drone attempt with the Karma (the Mavic was announced only a few days after the Karma in 2016). Now there is only a bunch of Chinese competitors left like Walkera, Yuneec and Autel. All in bad shape, they recently announced layoff. They are also way behind in terms of technology. Once DJI got rid of the competition they will slow down.

3 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

I think you are looking at this problem upside down. DJI have just put the Mavic Pro's camera in a smaller drone - the Mavic Air. So if they put a 1 inch sensor in a Mavic Pro 2 (which is a bit bigger than the Mavic Pro) you should look at it as putting the Phantom 4 camera in a much smaller body. With the Mavic Air now out, DJI have a good excuse for making a slightly larger Mavic Pro 2 to accommodate a inch sensor.

Interesting, nothing is impossible with DJI. We'll find out soon.

2 hours ago, mkabi said:

They have plenty of competition in the drone market... unfortunately... I wish I knew their names...  in any case... if you really want to know just do a simple google search and if you don’t think that that is any kind of competitive products, go check a local bestbuy and you will see at least 3 other drones with 4K cams from their respective competitors...

Yuneec is their biggest competitor in the semi-pro category, give or take a budget move up/down

2 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

Once DJI got rid of the competition they will slow down.

And become like Canon? :-/ :-( 

12 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

By the way,  the Autel EVO 1" sensor is not true....They got people excited to attract attention but it's BS. Now, they are back-pedaling after spreading some rumors at the CES. The EVO will come with the a tiny 1/2.3 sensor.

Great link! I would absolutely love a 1” Mavic, like a lot of people, but I’m not going to be waiting on Autel to be the one to deliver it. I ordered an open-box P4Pro yesterday and I’ll be happy to use it until DJI figure out something better ;)