Sony A7R3 users - THROW AWAY YOUR CANON LENSES!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, Jeronimo said:

I read rumors that Sigma will come out soon with the Art series lenses for Sony.

Maybe it pays to be patient and see what happens before investing in its version of Canon.

https://www.sonyrumors.co/category/sigma-fe-lenses/

I propose a new title for Sony users: THROW AWAY YOUR CANON SIGMA LENSES! (?) 

The announcement is expected soon, but the actual release will be stretched out until the end of the year for some lenses, so don't hold your breath.

4 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

The announcement is expected soon, but the actual release will be stretched out until the end of the year for some lenses, so don't hold your breath.

In my case, that I´m starting with Sony Full Frame system from 0,  I will be more than satisfied if they release the 35mm (this is supposed to come soon),  and I hope the 50mm prime is coming too.

So before I expend my budget in the MC 11 adaptor + the same 2 prime lenses made for Canon (that I don´t have), definitely I will be happy to hold my breath for a few weeks more.   

On 1/23/2018 at 12:05 AM, Jurjen Drenth Photography said:

Hello I am photographer for 30 years and have been working with a lot of cameras and lenses but why is everyone only looking at sharpness? Its like driving daily in a 400 pk horsepower Porsche on at your daily destination; but a Porsche has no comfort at all ! The Sigma Art lenses are flat and have no character ! And I know it because I worked with a lot of lenses; they are only sharp;' is that all where it is going about? having a 400 horsepower car at your daily traject ??

I agree, I have a full set of sigma and canon lenses, and even though the sigmas out perform the canons with sharpness, distortion, CA and flare often , they really don't have any charter. My best shots are always with the canons. But the sigmas are cheap, so I have them as my go to lenses when I need the most resolution- like a composite. 

On 1/23/2018 at 12:05 AM, Jurjen Drenth Photography said:

2 hours ago, paul ross jones said:

I agree, I have a full set of sigma and canon lenses, and even though the sigmas out perform the canons with sharpness, distortion, CA and flare often , they really don't have any charter. My best shots are always with the canons. But the sigmas are cheap, so I have them as my go to lenses when I need the most resolution- like a composite. 

When I was still teaching English, I’d sometimes teach job seeking skills. If I asked a student why they preferred one profession rather than another, invariably the answer would be ‘because it’s suitable to me.’ I would then have to explain that suitable has no meaning - suitable in what way? Was it because of the flexible working hours, the health benefits, the interaction with customers, being able to work outdoors, the vacation time...?

If character is a trait or imperfection that is visible to the naked eye -  for example, swirly bokeh, purple flaring, starbursts, and so on - what are the optical characteristics of the Canon lenses that appeal to you? 

2 hours ago, paul ross jones said:

Lol. Allow me to disagree.

Sigma make great lenses and they do not make you pay twice what it worth like everyone else. They make for great videos and pictures. That's what I want.

Hi @Andrew Reid could you just clear up when you said "Now, finally Sony (thanks to Sigma) has an answer to Dual Pixel AF for filmmakers, and indeed the broader photography community."

Is this just when adapting lenses as I get the impression that native FE/E mount lenses already focus well on the latest cameras in video from what you said about the Batis lenses you used in the test?

I'd already been considering selling my Canon lenses and getting some native Sony ones, though I'll be keeping hold of my Canon fit Samyang VDSLR lenses.

14 minutes ago, Asmundma said:

Hi, bought the Sigma 18-35 for use on C200. My lense make a hell of a noise when video AF, so I do not understand it is quiet at all. I find that native Sony FE lenses are the quiets. 

For Canon STM and new leses after 2012 is ok. 

Dustin Abbott writes:

Every time I review a Sigma lens I will be closely looking at the AF (autofocus) performance. I’ve rarely had a problem with HSM motors when it comes to sound or speed (they are amongst the quietest focusing lenses that I’ve encountered and generally quite fast)

Source

And Lenstip writes:

The Sigma A 18-35 mm f/1.8 DC HSM, as its name indicates, is equipped with an ultrasonic autofocus motor called Hyper Sonic Motor. The work of the mechanism is, in fact, noiseless

Source

And DPReview writes:

The 18-35mm uses Sigma's 'Hypersonic Motor' for autofocus, which is fast, essentially silent, and generally very decisive.

Source

And ephotozine writes:

A silent HSM focusing motor powers the focusing mechanism, which is very quick to confirm focus and accurate, even on this pre-production sample.

Source

14 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Dustin Abbott writes:

Every time I review a Sigma lens I will be closely looking at the AF (autofocus) performance. I’ve rarely had a problem with HSM motors when it comes to sound or speed (they are amongst the quietest focusing lenses that I’ve encountered and generally quite fast)

Source

And Lenstip writes:

The Sigma A 18-35 mm f/1.8 DC HSM, as its name indicates, is equipped with an ultrasonic autofocus motor called Hyper Sonic Motor. The work of the mechanism is, in fact, noiseless

Source

And DPReview writes:

The 18-35mm uses Sigma's 'Hypersonic Motor' for autofocus, which is fast, essentially silent, and generally very decisive.

Source

And ephotozine writes:

A silent HSM focusing motor powers the focusing mechanism, which is very quick to confirm focus and accurate, even on this pre-production sample.

Source

They must have tested for photos, not Video.  - Or I go and complain......

Could be, it’s been a long time since I’ve shot with mine and I never use autofocus continuous. I also live in one of the noisiest cities in the world, so impossible for me to really test myself. It’s 2:00 am here and I can’t get to sleep because of some idiots in the alley below. ?

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, the_brotographer said:

I have also done some tests. However, I found that Canon L glass works quite well while shooting video as long as you are using the Metabones adapter.

Ah good to know. So Metabones has to be set to Advanced mode, instead of Green mode.

The problem with that is in Advanced mode, doesn't the stills-mode AF go crazy slow? And isn't the performance of autofocus in video mode pretty poor?

29 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Ah good to know. So Metabones has to be set to Advanced mode, instead of Green mode.

The problem with that is in Advanced mode, doesn't the stills-mode AF go crazy slow? And isn't the performance of autofocus in video mode pretty poor?

Yeah that's the drag. If you're adapting Canon glass and want to shoot video, it has to be advanced mode. However, you have to switch it to green mode, which requires taking off the lens. In my opinion, shooting stills in advanced mode is a joke. The performance in video mode though is pretty much similar to what you showed. The subject has to be around the center of the frame though.

• Administrators

So in advanced mode it is using PDAF points in video, no hunting.

What if you set stills mode to C-AF (which uses PDAF like in video mode)?

Metabones should update their firmware to automatically toggle advanced mode in video mode and green mode when you go into stills mode. Problem solved.

The other option would be to buy two adapters - have one in advanced mode for video work and one in green mode for stills shoots!

• Administrators

Right just tried it. And it seems to be total crap.

VIDEO mode.

Set advanced mode on Metabones adapter V0.57 (Mk IV) - latest firmware

Tried Canon 35mm F2.0 IS (new-ish one with STM AF)

Even with AF responsiveness and speed both set to their fastest on the A7R3, performance is dismal compared to the Sigma lenses on the Sigma MC-11.

It's laggy, unsure, unreliable and noisy.

This is not in bright sunshine, it's inside. Maybe it is better in very bright light?

But the Sigmas were in dim light as well and did much better.

It's just about usable for a slow focus rack in bright light, but I wouldn't challenge it with anything else... Better to swap out the lens for a Sigma and MC-11.

Now in STILLS mode with Advanced mode set on Metabones... Oh dear. It's even worse. C-AF seems not even to use phase-detect AF and hunts around never really acquiring focus with any certainty!

Will do a bright light test tomorrow but doubt it is any better.

9 hours ago, Asmundma said:

Hi, bought the Sigma 18-35 for use on C200. My lense make a hell of a noise when video AF, so I do not understand it is quiet at all. I find that native Sony FE lenses are the quiets. 

I've noticed this a few times from people, that although DPAF is great it can sometimes be noisy. Which would annoy the hell out of me as a sound recordist if I came across this. 

8 hours ago, Asmundma said:

They must have tested for photos, not Video

haha, yeah "noiseless" is totally different for photographers than video folk!!

A small bit of noise is ok for a stills guy shooting in a church for a wedding, but would drive me nuts.