Sony A7R3 users - THROW AWAY YOUR CANON LENSES!

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

A test of several Sigma lenses on the Sigma MC-11 adapter. For comparison I included some Sony E-mount lenses as well. With the MC-11 adapter, the Sigma Canon EF mount lenses (and their own SA mount lenses) use continuous PDAF (phase detect AF) in video mode, just like Dual Pixel AF on a Canon body. This isn't possible with Canon's own lenses or with the Metabones Smart EF adapter.

In the test:

• Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 ART (super 35)
  • Sigma 24-35mm F2.0 ART (full frame)
  • Sigma 20mm F1.4 ART (full frame)
  • Sigma 24-105mm F4 (full frame)
  • Sigma 30mm F1.4 (super 35, e-mount)
  • Also: Zeiss Batis 25mm and 85mm for comparison.

Video mode: 4K XAVC-S at 25p, in Hybrid LOG Gamma. Graded to Rec.709 in post.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Pretty crazy how much better these Sigma lenses with the MC-11 adapter are compared to the Canon/Metabones option. I still don’t think the Sony PDAF is as natural looking as Canon’s DPAF, I noticed some light pulsing, but for most applications, it’ll do and many Sony users will be very pleased.

That 24-35mm is sharp as a tack. The next time you Shot ML Raw, I’d love to see some sample footage with that lens.

Hi Andrew, I would buy in the next weeks the Sony a7riii and I was thinking of having it with the Sony 16-35 GM, for photography and video mostly for doing stuff for the tourism sector.

What´s your opinion on that lens? It´s very expensive and I´m curious about the Sigma option with the MC-11 adapter, maybe I can have two of them for the same price. But I would like to have the best quality, especially for stills. 

By the way, when are you coming with the ProColor version for the Sony a7riii? I have the first version, and I want to know if I buy the 3.0 then I will have to buy the newest or will be part of the 3.0? 

Thanks, inspiring work you do for us. 

• Administrators

It's very expensive, yes. Sony's GM pricing is a laugh.

The Sigma 20mm F1.4 would be my choice for wide.

The Sigma 24-35mm F2.0 is a stop faster than the 16-35mm.

But if you really need that ultra wide end, 16mm... The Tamron 15-35mm F2.8 for Canon mount is actually a very good lens... But it won't have video AF like the Sigmas and Sony GM.

3 hours ago, Jeronimo said:

Hi Andrew, I would buy in the next weeks the Sony a7riii and I was thinking of having it with the Sony 16-35 GM, for photography and video mostly for doing stuff for the tourism sector.

What´s your opinion on that lens? It´s very expensive and I´m curious about the Sigma option with the MC-11 adapter, maybe I can have two of them for the same price. But I would like to have the best quality, especially for stills. 

By the way, when are you coming with the ProColor version for the Sony a7riii? I have the first version, and I want to know if I buy the 3.0 then I will have to buy the newest or will be part of the 3.0? 

Thanks, inspiring work you do for us. 

Don't forget about the 16-35/4, its really good, used prices are really low, many seem to be moving them favor of the 12-24 - which is also a stellar UWA zoom. I've used the 16-35/4 extensively as a travel zoom over the last year, its a great lens.

Hello I am photographer for 30 years and have been working with a lot of cameras and lenses but why is everyone only looking at sharpness? Its like driving daily in a 400 pk horsepower Porsche on at your daily destination; but a Porsche has no comfort at all ! The Sigma Art lenses are flat and have no character ! And I know it because I worked with a lot of lenses; they are only sharp;' is that all where it is going about? having a 400 horsepower car at your daily traject ??

@Jurjen Drenth Photography Perhaps because Sigma offers lenses with unique parameters with solid build quality, great image quality, little chromatic aberration, fast, accurate and silent autofocus, low distortion and lack of problems with vignetting, all at a price that is substantially lower than that of the OEMs?

Do you have a video you'd like to share?

@Jurjen Drenth Photography Looking over your portfolio, it appears to me as though you actually prefer super crisp images, though it's hard to tell, since on your website, it's difficult if not impossible to view any of your work full size - everything is postage stamp size for some reason. No blur. No bokeh. No playing around with depth of field. Whatever.

Thanks for this insightful review. Comes at a perfect time for me!

one followup:

Does the mc-11 work with the Canon glass? If so, is it at least up to the performance of the metabones adapter?

the reason I ask: if you only wanted to own one Sony to Canon adapter, I wonder if the mc-11 would cover all your needs...

4 hours ago, Jakobox said:

Thanks for this insightful review. Comes at a perfect time for me!

one followup:

Does the mc-11 work with the Canon glass? If so, is it at least up to the performance of the metabones adapter?

the reason I ask: if you only wanted to own one Sony to Canon adapter, I wonder if the mc-11 would cover all your needs...

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/mount-converter-mc-11

here you will find all the info

Awesome results. The 20mm 1.4 on a gimbal should be insane. Super wide for action yet possible to blur the background. 

This is the type of lens you are happy to bed FF. 

Good luck having a 10mm lens on GH5 that can give you a bokeh equivalent of this 20 1.4 on ff. for portrait lens it is not an issue as a 42.5mm 1.2 will give you great enough DoF control. Super wide, not so much. 

What i would love to see is a comparison with tracking : someone walking towards the camera : will the Sigma MC11 track as good as a native lens ?

4 hours ago, Digitaliant said:

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/mount-converter-mc-11

here you will find all the info

Thanks for the link.

I figured that the mount was compatible technically speaking. However, what I am really interested in is how *well* it works. (at the end of the day, there are many adapters that technically work to adapt EOS lens to Sony... but the quality is wildly differeng).

I wonder if MC-11 would at least by comparable to the metabones in terms of functionality etc. to convert an EOS lens to A7rIII