Some Guidance Please...

Matthew Hartman

9 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

BMD Production Camera 4k (Mainly for the size, SSD, global shutter, RAW) 

You take a massive massive hit when it comes to both DR and base ISO (which you are stuck on, is very unwise to move off it).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

BMD offers this at a price point I can actually afford, so it seems pretty clear to me. My issue is amoung the BDM product offerings in the 4k space, which one? I have to make my investments count. 

If you're heart set on BMD then I think the choice is very very clear: URSA Mini Pro. 

Unless budget can't stretch to that, then find a good secondhand price on the URSA Mini 4.6K
(or if super broke... go for BMPCC/Micro like I have!)

11 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Why would you consider the BMD Production Camera 4k over the BMD URSA Mini 4K Digital Cinema Camera? I would consider the Production camera, more of a studio camera, inferior to the Ursa Mini 4k, that is more of a Cine camera.. And the Mini 4k is nearly as cheap?

With the low low low prices of the URSA Mini 4K, I think it would be a no brainer over the BMPC4K because of the extra functionality of the URSA Mini series. 

Unless one of:
1) you find the BMPC4K even crazier cheap itself
2) you value the smaller size of the BMPC4K very very highly

But I wouldn't be too keen on either, vs the much better 4.6K sensor. 
(my view has nothing to do with the greater resolution however, it is to with the better DR and ISO performance) 

However I'd still rather have a URSA Mini 4.6K / BMPC4K pairing over a RED ONE kit. 

10 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well no doubt the Media is cheaper for the Production 4k.

Oh I dunno, the URSA Mini Pro records to SD cards as well, and even SSDs just like the BMPC4K does:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1369457-REG/blackmagic_design_cineursashmssd_ursa_mini_ssd_recorder.html

10 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

And it is, and can be a lot smaller footprint.

BMPC4K is the same size as the BMCC (if you have extensive experience with that?), thus it isn't exactly small itself,  especially once you've added a monitor and battery *(whcih many people would feel you need to do).

7 hours ago, Juxx989 said:

I got a super cheap BMPCC ($120) a year ago

Wow. Wow. Just wow. 

I'd buy them all day long at that price! Non stop. Never quit. Just keep on buying. 

7 hours ago, Juxx989 said:

get about 3-4 ef Lenses (mostly Sigma) and Ill seemingly have the option to go anywhere as the defacto mount seems to be Canon on all cameras.

Go Nikon! You can use it on everything. Including EF mount cameras. And adapters are much cheaper (& more reliable) for your BMPCC for Nikon than Canon.

LOL, why the hell is WalMart selling the Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k? 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackmagic-Design-URSA-Mini-Pro-4-6K-Camera-with-EF-Mount-External-Camera-Controls/794029088?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2000&adid=22222222228083947559&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=196815744366&wl4=aud-310687321802:pla-320144163492&wl5=9033288&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113834007&wl11=online&wl12=794029088&wl13=&veh=sem

On 1/23/2018 at 6:18 AM, AaronChicago said:

Rolling shutter is a non issue when comparing the Ursa Mini Pro to the Alexa.

at 2K:

Ursa Mini 6.32ms

Alexa 6.00ms

I'd have to agree with you on this. At least from what I've seen online. It's nowhere near what I get on my NX1 or see with other mirrorless systems. I don't do a lot of handheld or whip pans, but even mico movements are jello with my NX1 and it will be nice not to have to see it to that degree when I get my ursa mini pro 4.6k. Im so looking forward to it. Yet, honestly, not looking forward to the size. Well, Ive been meaning to work out more, so...

So obviously I've decided what direction I'm going. (Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k) Why this over the 4.6k model? Two things:

Built in ND

Changeable mounts

The other features dont really mean that much to me at the end of the day,  or maybe I'll find use for them. Can't really say until the camera is in hand. 

In fact depending on my bonus, I may even pick up a second hand Production Cam 4k as well to fly on my Zhiyun Crane, as purchasing a Ronin or Came TV gimbal that can float the Ursa will likely cost more. I'm thinking the two systems should theoretically cut well together.

I hardly ever distribute in 4k, mostly 1080 and occasionally 2k, as most projectors in theaters are mostly 2k anyway, so I should get a pretty solid workflow when I need 60fps with the production cam. 

I can't wait to work with that image. I've been wanting to own an image like this since I was a kid. Yes, of course one can rent this. But these cameras are not outside my budget, so why not own them and be done with this damn acquisition and unhealthy obsession already. 

If I get the Productuon Cam there's going to be a NX1 with a boatload of glass and a lot of awesome accesory hitting the market at a deal you won't readily find. 

If there's no interest, I'll probably just keep it for my photography, or see if I can float it on a drone, which would be 10x better than a Gopro or DJI cam. As far as resolution, decent DR, AF, and color science, the NX1 is still very much a viable system in my mind. I think it would be stunning on a drone. 

Also, I definitely want to go the SSD route with the Ursa, any reccomendations? 

On 1/25/2018 at 6:00 AM, Matthew Hartman said:

The other features dont really mean that much to me at the end of the day,  or maybe I'll find use for them. Can't really say until the camera is in hand. 

I think you'll find the extra buttons/switches BMD has added to the Pro to be handy in the field. Obviously not worth paying for alone by themselves, but together with the changeable mount and NDs, it is nice gravy on the top. 

But these cameras are not outside my budget, so why not own them and be done with this damn acquisition and unhealthy obsession already. 

Don't worry, in a few short years you'll be back here asking about a different new camera that you're lusting over ;-)

Also, I definitely want to go the SSD route with the Ursa, any reccomendations? 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1369457-REG/blackmagic_design_cineursashmssd_ursa_mini_ssd_recorder.html

On 1/25/2018 at 5:43 AM, Matthew Hartman said:

LOL, why the hell is WalMart selling the Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k? 

Seems like Walmart's website is just acting as a reseller:

"Sold & shipped by 17th St Photo Supply Inc"

Just like Amazon.com's marketplace does.