4K 60p is even possible with a hack?

cojocaru27

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 22/1/2018 at 11:56 AM, cojocaru27 said:

i already did that - have my post as  proof - making it happen it's a bit harder :)

you could ask how much it costs to extract the complete firmware from a professional reverse engineering service and make a fundraiser to pay for the job!

https://www.blackhat.com/us-17/training/hacking-firmware-and-hardware-software-exploitation-via-hardware-exploitation.html

https://www.tarlogic.com/en/cybersecurity-services/hardware-hacking-and-reverse-engineering-services/

The coder would have to be versed in the Tizen language, which most coders are not. The SDK has been available for download for quite some time. The hackers of the recent hacks have seemed to vanish post 2017. I believe a skilled coder could do something with the HDMI out channel so that the internal processor (Samsung - DRIMe -based on Samsung Exynos) isn't encoding at all, thus keeping the camera nice and cool. 

BTW, the full 4k readout on the DRIMe is set to an optimum rate, which means there's room for overclocking, at the cost of more heat and possible damage of course.  

@Matthew Hartman

Wow, this sounds really simple. Now all you have to do is to find a hacker on the deep web with knowledge in Tizen and Digital Image Gathering and Processing - as it should be questionnable if all functionality and processing software within the NX1 is done in Tizen. Send him a NX1 (better wiould be 2) and some lenses he can use and (a substancial sum of) money...then wait.

Don't bother if this would end up like waiting for a more peaceful world...:grin:

PS: No offense, I own, use and love the NX1 - but it is a dead horse...

On 1/25/2018 at 11:46 PM, Arikhan said:

@Matthew Hartman

Wow, this sounds really simple. Now all you have to do is to find a hacker on the deep web with knowledge in Tizen and Digital Image Gathering and Processing - as it should be questionnable if all functionality and processing software within the NX1 is done in Tizen. Send him a NX1 (better wiould be 2) and some lenses he can use and (a substancial sum of) money...then wait.

Don't bother if this would end up like waiting for a more peaceful world...:grin:

PS: No offense, I own, use and love the NX1 - but it is a dead horse...

1.) Thank you for the patronizing. It's a cool look. 

2.) There have already been a number of hacks so it's likely we could get the authors of those hacks to revisit it, possibly with some financial backing this time. No need to scour the deep web or get snarky. 

Whether that works or not is inconsequential to using the camera as it is in it's current state. My copy works as well as the day I received it in 2015. 

If someone shot a feature on it (which ppl have) that got some notable traction in mass, you best believe Samsung is going perk up and use that as part of their company portfolio. Whether that translates as jumping back into the mirrorless camera business or not remains to be seen. Personally, I'd love to see what they could do in the cinema realm.  

No one can confirm (I have friend's that work at Samsung USA in WA) whether the camera business is a dead horse or a dormant one. Most of the ppl working in that division were transfered to other products, and seem as clueless as the public. 

Samsung, as far as top management left that door cracked open as they commonly tend to do, so unlike you I'm reluctant to be quite as prescriptive. 

The set to be announced Galaxy S9/S9+ is rumored to have a 3-layered/stacked image sensor with improved dual pixel AF (which is already quite good) better ISO, variable mechanical aperture, optical zoom (S9+) and capable of shooting 120fps in full UHD 4k. If true, what that shows is Samsung is still very much invested in it's imaging technology, perhaps just not in the form you or I would want it.  

6 hours ago, keessie65 said:

Perhaps Samsung will give us new SW when the S9 is released. A few software developers went from the Camara- to the Phone department. Would be an incredible gift.

It's possible. Although I do have my doubts. We haven't seen a new one for almost 2 years now. 

BTW, I just read a rumor that the S9/S9+ will be able to do 480fps in 1080. Wild on two fronts, one, a smartphone can acheive this, and two, why in just a smartphone and not a new prosumer camera? The GH5 maxes out at 180fps in 1080 albiet lowered quality. 

And the there's this from RED:

gsmarena_003.png