Sennheiser G4 is coming (available April)

IronFilm

14 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

So would you say the major difference between the G3 and higher end stuff like Lectrosonics is the range and strength of the actual signal?

Strength and noise floor are not the same thing. 
Resistance to interference is not the same thing as strength either. 

Details of design matter too, Lectrosonics has many more options for body back recorders (some of which are MUCH smaller than a G3) and their transmitters are much more bag or cart friendly than a G3 is. 

13 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@IronFilm What's new with those G4? Did we learn anything new? I am pro Sennheiser in general, but the G3 is a relic from the past, really, and the limitations (and auto nature) of AVX isn't for us.

Agreed Sennheiser AVX is not a good choice for us. 

Dunno if I can see why an "upgrade" from the 100 series G3 to the equivalent G4 is worth it. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Strength and noise floor are not the same thing. 
Resistance to interference is not the same thing as strength either. 

Details of design matter too, Lectrosonics has many more options for body back recorders (some of which are MUCH smaller than a G3) and their transmitters are much more bag or cart friendly than a G3 is. 

Sorry, I wasn't talking about those terms with respect to sound quality, I meant them in terms of the wireless signal.   

2 minutes ago, Ty Harper said:

I wasn't talking about those terms with respect to sound quality

But sound quality is everything? That is exactly why people buy high end gear. It is like ignoring the picture quality from a camera. 

Well, actually sound quality + usability is everything! (then is just a question of how it fits in your budget)

13 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Wisycom would be my choice here in Europe.

Not Audio Ltd?

10 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

So not only was the SKP300 G3 sale legit, the guy threw in an SKP500 G2 for free! His reasoning was he'd already upgraded to the latest model and just wanted to get rid of them both. I mean he obviously has to be doing really well for himself as a camera person, but I don't think I've ever gotten a deal this sweet before. I'm literally sitting in my car in shock. 

Sweet score for a hundred bucks!! Congrats