Sennheiser G4 is coming (available April)

IronFilm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Of course they are, I just spent my wireless budget on 3 Sony kits!

My feeling is I'm almost certain to be happy I went with Sony UWP-D11 instead. We'll see at NAMM.

11 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Anyone who isnt looking for the G4, I have a G3 kit for sale. :glasses:

Best news is cheaper secondhand G3 sets, otherwise nothing exciting here. Wait for the announcement itself, maybe more info that is exciting will happen.

But wireless is the next big area which needs a shake up in the low budget bracket, & seems like this won't be it.

1 hour ago, photographer-at-large said:

You seem to get the scoop on announcements.

I waste too much time on social media and forums! Thus I see stuff pretty quick. 

1 hour ago, photographer-at-large said:

what are the chances Sound Devices will have "t" versions of MixPre 3 & 6?

Somewhere between nope and no. Well, they might surprise us. But I doubt it, as it is their lowest end units. A pity, as a MixPre6T I might seriously consider, but as it is now then it is pointless for my needs with it  being limited to only four channels when running TC in the bag. 

Watching a very interesting tear down of the G3 at the moment:

• 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Ty Harper said:

@IronFilm, kind of off topic but wondering your thoughts on the Sennheiser SKP300 transmitters. Would you pick a used one up right now if it was on offer for $100?

Assuming that it is a legal frequency (and will remain so for the foreseeable future, and isn't congested in your city), I wouldn't even think about it.... just do it. That is a low price!

Assuming also you have a need for it, that you would use it as a plant mic or a reporter's mic or whatever. 

13 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Assuming that it is a legal frequency (and will remain so for the foreseeable future, and isn't congested in your city), I wouldn't even think about it.... just do it. That is a low price!

Assuming also you have a need for it, that you would use it as a plant mic or a reporter's mic or whatever. 

I already have one and I definitely don't need it but it just seemed too cheap to pass up. I've been trying to get a sense of whether the person is selling it because the Band (A) is about to become illegal but nothing yet (not to mention the jargon around this stuff is in no way accessible to someone not familiar with it). Thanks for the second opinion tho! 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Strange. I had the same problem this morning when typing the word 'it' followed by a period - links to another non-existent page.

8 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

I've been trying to get a sense of whether the person is selling it because the Band (A) is about to become illegal

A-Band is 516 - 558 MHz, and I thought that is still legal in Toronto and going to stay so (at least for now)??

But what do I know....   I'm not a local. 

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

Strange. I had the same problem this morning when typing the word 'it' followed by a period - links to another non-existent page.

It is a weird thing indeed! I wonder what causes it.

Likely the algorithm to determine hyperlinks is screwed up. (".it" would make more sense.... but this dot is at the end of it. Not the start of it.)

Edit: well... that quirk seems gone, we can no longer see it. 

34 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

What's new with the G4? (honest question, I'm not an audiophile)

Nothing to write home about. 

At least not for the 100 series (which is what people usually mean when they say "G3", or now "G4").

Some improvements with the 500 series, but at their higher price point I think a person should just seriously think about Lectrosonics/Wisycom/Zaxcom/AudioLtd/etc instead.

Just now, Ty Harper said:

Yes it does seem so. It's just that the price seems too good to be true.

Often people seem to not have a clue at the true value of items (leading to prices waaaaaaay too high, but also prices waaaaaaay too low!). 

I've paid prices kinda similar to that myself in the past for wireless. Sometimes you get lucky! ;-)

But do double read the auction, and inspect the pictures carefully. 

23 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Nothing to write home about. 

At least not for the 100 series (which is what people usually mean when they say "G3", or now "G4").

Some improvements with the 500 series, but at their higher price point I think a person should just seriously think about Lectrosonics/Wisycom/Zaxcom/AudioLtd/etc instead.

So would you say the major difference between the G3 and higher end stuff like Lectrosonics is the range and strength of the actual signal?

@Ty Harper  The difference between G3 and higher end stuff is chaotic, and even "range and strength of the actual signal" is 70% of what wireless systems do! The difference in price is chaotic too.

@IronFilm What's new with those G4? Did we learn anything new? I am pro Sennheiser in general, but the G3 is a relic from the past, really, and the limitations (and auto nature) of AVX isn't for us.

Wisycom would be my choice here in Europe.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

@Ty Harper  The difference between G3 and higher end stuff is chaotic, and even "range and strength of the actual signal" is 70% of what wireless systems do! The difference in price is chaotic too.

@IronFilm What's new with those G4? Did we learn anything new? I am pro Sennheiser in general, but the G3 is a relic from the past, really, and the limitations (and auto nature) of AVX isn't for us.

Wisycom would be my choice here in Europe.

@Kisaha, thanks for the response but not sure what you mean when you say it's chaotic. Are you saying range and signal strength aren't primarily what differentiate the g3 100 series from higher end brands?

14 hours ago, IronFilm said:

So not only was the SKP300 G3 sale legit, the guy threw in an SKP500 G2 for free! His reasoning was he'd already upgraded to the latest model and just wanted to get rid of them both. I mean he obviously has to be doing really well for himself as a camera person, but I don't think I've ever gotten a deal this sweet before. I'm literally sitting in my car in shock.