DIY VR180 Setup

HurtinMinorKey

So I am about to start building my own system to shoot stereoscopic VR180.  Anybody else have thoughts or experiences they would like to share?

The concept will be pretty simple: Two GoPro Session 5 cameras mounted on the same plane. Sitting between the plane and  will be a gear system that allows me to calibrate the convergence of the two cameras depending on the distance.  The gear system will also serve to insure that both cameras are angled the same amount.    

If people are interested, let me know I'll post progress/workflow/results. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You're changing the angle depending on the distance of the subject?!

If I was doing it with GoPros btw, then I'd get this from Timecode systems:
https://www.timecodesystems.com/syncbac-pro/hero4/

But I feel the Yi 4K or Z Cam E1 is the way to go for DIY VR.

Or if BMD does a price drop like with the BMPCC, then the Micro in a heartbeat. 

Yes, changing the angle depending on the distance to subject seems to make a big difference in my testing, especially when things are close. You are basically using simple geometry to calculate the the angles given your inter-pupilary distance (IPD) and your range to target.  Although, my first real project with this will be to try and film a concert (from essentially the front row) which should put me far enough away that the cameras will only have to be angled slightly inward (a fraction of a degree).  That being said, I am going to go with the stock lenses so my effective FOV will be more like 120 degrees, and this makes the angle issue somewhat more noticeable. 

Also, I would have have considered going wit the BMPCC but the lack of FPS and resolution is an issue. Z cam is an interesting option: It is slightly lower resolution, although the low-light performance might be worth the trade-off.  

BTW, I don't know why the mods moved this to the BMCC forum. Maybe because that's where I typically post? 

On 1/19/2018 at 7:16 AM, HurtinMinorKey said:

Also, I would have have considered going wit the BMPCC but the lack of FPS and resolution is an issue. 

No the BMPCC, the Micro. The smaller size helps immensely for VR! And is already a popular choice with some people. But you're right, lack of resolution can be a bummer. (so just use more cameras....  ?)

Z cam is an interesting option: It is slightly lower resolution, although the low-light performance might be worth the trade-off.  

What do you mean?

GoPro Hero5 Black has a max resolution of 3840 x 2160

Z Cam E1 has a max resolution of 4096 x 2160

That is close enough, I wouldn't really bother to call it in favor of either one. But if you are, then technically the Z Cam E1 has higher resolution over the GoPro. 

BTW, I don't know why the mods moved this to the BMCC forum. Maybe because that's where I typically post? 

It is odd, maybe you posted here by accident without realising it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2018 at 11:44 AM, IronFilm said:

No the BMPCC, the Micro. The smaller size helps immensely for VR! And is already a popular choice with some people. But you're right, lack of resolution can be a bummer. (so just use more cameras....  ?)

What do you mean?

GoPro Hero5 Black has a max resolution of 3840 x 2160

Z Cam E1 has a max resolution of 4096 x 2160

That is close enough, I wouldn't really bother to call it in favor of either one. But if you are, then technically the Z Cam E1 has higher resolution over the GoPro. 

It is odd, maybe you posted here by accident without realising it?

Just got it up and running with the dual go-pro session 5s. I will post some clips soon.  I ended up staying with the GoPros. While I considered the Z Cam E1, the need for additional lenses without providing better resolution a 60-90fps kept me with GoPro. 

The biggest challenge so far has been in post (Resolve) although most of my initial issues have been sorted.  My jerry-rigged cage is actually effective (but ugly as sin). 

A couple of outstanding issues mostly related to Resolve: 

(1) Resolve Doesn't seem to have an option for using a 90fps timeline. Since I want the image to be as smooth as possible, and Oculus has a native 90fps frame rate, it seems like a huge oversight.  How can this be?

(2) This may be related to (1), but I wonder how much Fusion 9 would help the process. It seems like many of the options they provide is for working in 3D VFX, but it's a bit hard to tell what I might actually use from it.  Things that I could really use is an auto-alignment feature (or even being able to do it manually in real time using my Oculus as a monitor).  Also, it would be nice to be able to sync left and right footage automatically (e.g., when the cameras are not gen-locked).  The Kodak pixmax software does this using audio. A similar feature in fusion 9 would be really helpful. 

9 hours ago, HurtinMinorKey said:

(1) Resolve Doesn't seem to have an option for using a 90fps timeline. Since I want the image to be as smooth as possible, and Oculus has a native 90fps frame rate, it seems like a huge oversight.  How can this be?

Maybe another NLE will allow you to use any frame rate at all that you enter

Also, bring this up on their own BMD product forums as they do monitor this. Might get lucky next firmware update

• 2 months later...

So I did my shoot at an MGMT concert (after somehow getting my awkward, head-mounted metal rig past security).  The footage is okay, but because I had to set up my rig in complete darkness, the IPD was a couple mm off. I think I can salvage it in post, but I just can't seem to find a good program that will allow me to make the lateral adjustment in post (some of the VR players -whirligig- so I can see that the adjustment will make it watchable). 

Any recommendation on free stitching software that could help?  Resolve doesn't get me what I need, and I guess I will need to use the paid version of Fusion to be able to make those type of adjustments. 

On 4/17/2018 at 1:52 PM, HurtinMinorKey said:

So I did my shoot at an MGMT concert (after somehow getting my awkward, head-mounted metal rig past security).  The footage is okay, but because I had to set up my rig in complete darkness, the IPD was a couple mm off. I think I can salvage it in post, but I just can't seem to find a good program that will allow me to make the lateral adjustment in post (some of the VR players -whirligig- so I can see that the adjustment will make it watchable). 

Any recommendation on free stitching software that could help?  Resolve doesn't get me what I need, and I guess I will need to use the paid version of Fusion to be able to make those type of adjustments. 

Mistika VR is the best.