Laowa lenses: Yes or No?

Jadesroom

I'd like to get a wide angle lens, 15mm F/2 Zero Distortion and the 12mm F/2.8 Zero Distortion lenses. I've seen a few reviews about either but not a comparison of both.  If you have one or both lenses, what is your opinion? What is a good alternative that costs about the same?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

Yes.

I'll give you an answer with little explanation, because your question also doesn't explain what you're looking for in a lens, which camera you use, what kind of scenarios you shoot in, etc.

Sorry.  I shoot with both an A7sii and an A6500. I'm primarily interested in real estate videography and photography.

Yeah, thanks, that's a little more to go on.

Here's a list of other optics in that range: https://geizhals.eu/?cat=acamobjo&xf=227_18~230_2.8~2715_APS-C%2FKleinbild~816_Festbrennweitenobjektiv~8219_Sony+E , where the Samyang AF 14mm f/2.8 is probably the best steal. The Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8 possibly the best quality and the Laowa's the best option for more wideangle and especially rectilinear characteristics which are their key selling point (Zero-D; it's in the name). Now, I've got very little to do with Sony systems, nor have any familiarity with any of the lenses personally. I do have the Laowa 7.5mm f/2 MFT, also with rectilinear characteristics and you're getting a great deal. Of course, it's all manual, so take that into consideration as well. All that said, real estate with FF and APS-C I'd think the 12mm f/2 probably is a really good pick, but it does seem to require a weird set-up to put filters in front. Neways, these would be the once I'd look into the most.

Of course, if you're okay with zooms or adapting third party mount lenses, your field broadens a little (in prime land the expensive Canon or Nikon 14mm f/2.8 options, or Sigma Art, Irix, Zeiss Milvus et cetera, or zooms which go like xx-24mm f/4 from Sony, Nikon, Sigma, Canon (can get expensive))...

• 1 year later...