DOG SCHIDT OPTIKS ANAMORPHOT>>>

richg101

A little early plug of our latest product...  a slight step up from the original little FF58.  This is early sample footage of a prototype we are working on.  Single focus, a lomo-esq integrated anamorphic lens, based on our FF58 with an anamorphot we are developing.  Single focus, but using the LOMO focus method rather than the iscorama method.  this is a f2.8 50mm anamorphic lens system.  no diopters are used.  focus currently is from 4.5ft-infinity.  with lomo-like sharpness, and flares from the gods:)

http://vimeo.com/65480667

Password:- ???

CA is there at the edges.  but without it, i think the feel of this type of lens might be lost.  

Lets hear some critique from you anamorphic nutters!.  We don't want to go into technicals as yet, but would love to hear some unbiased opinions on the look where getting from this first prototype.

in the movie you will see Hans using his Oct 18 square front and a FF58 in our new Bronze tint.  but all footage is shot with our newly developed anamorphot.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Way to go! Great work. Post a picture of the lens!

Personally I really don't like the CA and unsharp corners. Never seen that as a plus point for anamorphics. It's about the only thing I dislike about my Petite Cinevision...

+1, try to cut some more of the CA. Other than that, I wants more pronounced ovals! Maybe you should throw an oval aperture in there just to be tricksy?  ;)

It looks great, though! I hope you offer it with similar coating/flare customization options like the FF58. I wants blue flares! (Yeah, yeah . . . I know. For some odd reason, anamorphic nutters seem to treat flares as taboo . . . loose the snobby hipster attitude, the signature blue flares are cool.)

You might also putts around with other lenses just to see if you can find one or two other focal-lenth lenses that it can synch to. I know, that's a tall order, but you never know! something longer focal length might be nice for closeups, especially if it suffers from "mumps" (y'know, if you're too close, it makes faces look fat). 

I just had another idea for the FF58 too. You really should get your hands on a proper blue streak filter and do another promo video with that on front . . . I've always wondered just how close a spherical could come to looking like anamorphic with a good blue streak filter and internal oval aperture mod. I suspect that all but the most stickler wouldn't notice a difference.

Looking sweet Rich! Love that you guys are making some great stuff, its like you want all my money or something?? lol Cant wait for the taking lenses to come in from you for my iscorama, maybe more lenses to make a set and dare I say one of these.....oh my I think my wife is finally going to kill me over this.

Hey Rich,

It's about time someone looked at doing this! It will be intersting to see what these retail at, especially as other companies have looked at it and said that they wouldnt be able to make the numbers work.

I would love to see a set; 35mm, 58mm and 85mm (based on a jupiter 9 maybe)

Personally, I think you will sell alot of these if you can get the price right! There are a lot of us amorph freaks out there.

Firstly, let me say that I love that you are doing this, Rich. If there is one person who can crack the code and come up with a usable, modern-day anamorphic, it's you.

Looking at the footage, I think that this still has a ways to go. But I know that it's an early prototype and that it will only improve. Personally, I don't mind the CA. I don't particularly care for the softness at the edges in some shots, but I rather like it in others. Like others have already commented, the flares look a bit harsh -- it's hard to put into words, but I think that they lack the softer edges and are more opaque than what we've come to expect from the vintage anamorphics.

The background rendering is quite nice. I would love to see a 2x version of this.

To me, this is a very exciting project, much more so than SLR Magic's concept. Please do keep us posted.

Nice one Rich!

As a prototype this is v.promising stuff.

Yes there's CA, but i'm sure this can be minimised & it wasn't as if it ruined the shots.

The flares were hit & miss - well, the hot spot from the sun was a little full on, but it is the sun after all!

Are you thinking of making custom diopters for it as well or will you work on the min. focal distance.

Really nice, keep up the good work!

I've been looking for a lens like this to make a film.  I really think the CA adds to entire vintage feel that I recognized in it.  And this lens just loves the sun.  I think it has a lot of character and would be great for a science fiction.  Not because of the flairs, but because of how displaced you feel by the strong center sharpness aided by the softness around the edges.  I know this is going to sound vulgarly experimental, but it is otherworldly and mesmerizing. So, if you are looking for some feedback, I really like where you are going with this.  It is a great prototype because it has attitude.