GH5s Anamorphic Mode Question

Brian Caldwell

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, Brian Caldwell said:

I'm trying to find out whether the Panasonic GH5s has an anamorphic movie mode that uses the full 17.3 x 13.0mm m43 format (21.6mm diagonal). Does anybody know? The actual format size for anamorphic shooting is critical to me.

Thanks!

It is apparently a multi-aspect sensor. The way this worked in the GH2 is that every aspect ratio was maximized to the m4/3 image circle, which would suggest to me that the 4:3 will not simply be a crop of the 16:9, like on the GH5.

It was my understanding that Veydra was designing a lens, not an adapter, and the reason they abandoned the project was because it would have cost too much (over $5,000) if they were to maintain the same quality control they had over their mini primes.

11 hours ago, jonpais said:

It was my understanding that Veydra was designing a lens, not an adapter, and the reason they abandoned the project was because it would have cost too much (over $5,000) if they were to maintain the same quality control they had over their mini primes.

Yeah, they were actual lenses, though it always looked as if it was an existing Veydra lens with a huge adapter on its front, tbh, so wouldn't be too surprised if this was actually the case. I remember some interview (on YouTube?) where he mentioned that designing for a specific sensor size, might render it not to be compatible with new sensor implementations in the future. The GH4 anamorphic mode after all, was sort of a bit of a happy accident that they've implemented after the fact. Can't find for the life of me where he said that, so maybe I just dreamt that. Some vivid dream then, though.

@Brian Caldwell Now, that is very very nice! Guess for now there's the http://anamorphicshop.com/product/fm-lens/  and have seen Richard Gale working on his project of the Oliviascope.

tyPMBwn.jpg8EL8bn4.jpg

Think all these have in common that they're quite bulky and need more elaborate set-ups with rails. Seems there's no way around that.

Yeah, if the MAR sensor is oversized for the image circle, the 4:3 AR crop would take the same dimensions as the full GH5 sensor that edges the image circle, no? The advantage really goes to 1:1, 3:2 and 16:9 ARs that get cropped from the image circle rather than from the sensor.

11 hours ago, Julien416 said:

@Brian Caldwell From what I gathered online, seems the 4/3 anamorphic sensor area is exaclty the same as the GH5. 

That's what I'm thinking, although GH5s in anamorphic 4k mode and GH5 in anamorphic 6k mode to be more exact?

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Panasonic will soon(ish?!) send me a GH5S to play with so I’ll check it out.

Thanks Andrew!

27 minutes ago, Brian Caldwell said:

That's what I'm thinking, although GH5s in anamorphic 4k mode and GH5 in anamorphic 6k mode to be more exact?

As far as I could understand, yes, for 3328x2496 and 4992x3744 native resolution, respectively, on each one of those both camera models you've just mentioned.

Any idea when we''ll have your anamorphic prime series and the adapter to reach the streets? :-)

23 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Any idea when we''ll have your anamorphic prime series and the adapter to reach the streets? :-)

I'm assembling and adjusting the first 100mm prime right now.  Samples of the 100mm and 32mm should be ready by the time Cine Gear rolls around.  Another two (50mm and 150mm) hopefully by the end of the year.  The "in-betweens", 40mm, 60mm, and 75mm will likely not appear until next year.   I'm not sure about the adapter schedule yet.

• 4 weeks later...