Your Nikon mirrorless wishes

Inazuma

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It just seems when mirrorless first come out, everyone was all about the small bodies, then they realised small bodies suck ergonomically with APS-C/full frame lenses, so the current/next generation of mirrorless bodies are back to similar sizes to the dSLRs they are supposed to replace (A9, GH5. G9 etc).  So we have given up TTL optical viewfinders for EVFs and a more adaptable lens mount. I don't imagine Nikon/Sony really want to see lots of EF lenses being used on their bodies, so I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with a nice hybrid EVF for a nice bright optical view TTL when you want it and then EVF for live view stuff.  

Nikon almost certainly wouldn't but I think the A7Rii and iii and A9 wouldn't exist if the first gen A7 cameras were not able to use EF lenses.

Sony would likely have only sold a fraction of the cameras they have.

The few lenses they put out to start included some very nice ones (55 1.8) but they needed far more than that and that people could adapt their EF lenses with some limited AF to start just meant many more could try a Sony camera.       The steady flow of some nice E mount lenses has since had some people selling their EF lenses when they are sure they are happy with Sony.

I love being able to adapt EF lenses even to my first gen Sony.       I am over the moon that my ancient EF 20-35 2.8 L that has been bricked for the last two years works again this morning (I had to take the AF/MF switch cover off and will now use it MF only I think but at least it works again).

None of Canon mirrorless bodies have 4k, full read out or crop, and none of them have IBIS. But they're stealing market share from Sony, Olympus and Panasonic. What we perceive as a successful product could be very different from what the company managers see as successful.

Anyway, at least we'll have a better-suited-for-FF mount. I post this in other forums and put it here too: Z mount has more than 6 degrees advantage over E mount. This let them, and third party lens makers, try some interesting optical designs. From insanely wide aperture to insanely wide focal length. 

Z-E(1).thumb.jpg.8760d95a38465eddea944ffd8a0c096a.jpg

12 minutes ago, Django said:

rumor mill has it Nikon is licensing Sigma to produce/adapt native Z-mount lenses.. a la Sony/Zeiss.

Its not a rumor, its just clickbait BS. Nikon didn't even share a bit of F mount protocol with them that resulted horrible AF experience with almost any ART lens. They're too far from doing collaborative projects, let alone being friends. But Sigma will start reverse engineering the Z the first day the first Nikon mirrorless is available in the market. 

BTW, Nikon just filled a patent for mirrorless 14-28mm f/2.8 lens. I hope they deliver this one. 

I don't find it unlikely for sigma to be developing lenses for Nikon Z mount. 

Sigma is planning on releasing several native E mount lenses as well. It would make sense to have a common lens design that is shared across mirrorless cameras with short flange distance. Same way DSLR series exist for 3 mount systems but they are practically the same lens. 

This would be a golden opportunity for a lens company to enter a brand new mount system that will most definitely have very limited lens selection for the first couple of years, and it will be a good idea for Nikon as well to have plenty of choices for a new mount system. 

21 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

Its not a rumor, its just clickbait BS. Nikon didn't even share a bit of F mount protocol with them that resulted horrible AF experience with almost any ART lens. They're too far from doing collaborative projects, let alone being friends. But Sigma will start reverse engineering the Z the first day the first Nikon mirrorless is available in the market. 

BTW, Nikon just filled a patent for mirrorless 14-28mm f/2.8 lens. I hope they deliver this one. 

F mount is a different story, Nikon has 50 years of lens legacy to protect.. Z is a new mount and in view of Nikon's current status it would make sense for them to partner up with 3rd party imo if they wanna turn heads.. they've got a lot of catching up to do system-wise entering this late in the mirrorless game..

8 hours ago, Django said:

rumor mill has it Nikon is licensing Sigma to produce/adapt native Z-mount lenses.. a la Sony/Zeiss.

Find that hard to believe, it's like Zeiss asking Leica to do lenses for them. Nikon's conservative NIH culture won't let them do that.

7 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

I don't find it unlikely for sigma to be developing lenses for Nikon Z mount. 

Sigma is planning on releasing several native E mount lenses as well. It would make sense to have a common lens design that is shared across mirrorless cameras with short flange distance. Same way DSLR series exist for 3 mount systems but they are practically the same lens. 

This would be a golden opportunity for a lens company to enter a brand new mount system that will most definitely have very limited lens selection for the first couple of years, and it will be a good idea for Nikon as well to have plenty of choices for a new mount system. 

Nikon IS a lens company, they're not going to share their lunch with Sigma. 

4 hours ago, photographer-at-large said:

Hoping lenses mount in clockwise direction,

and focus rings turn in industry standard direction

Nope, pretty sure that's not going to happen either.

9 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Sigma will not be allowed legally to start making lenses for the Z mount unless Nikon says so. Its not the F mount where talking about, this will be patent protected.

I have no doubt Sigma will make lenses. But it will be with Nikons blessing.

Good point I think. Do all those companies which make E mount products do it with Sony's blessing?

8 hours ago, Django said:

F mount is a different story, Nikon has 50 years of lens legacy to protect..

F Mount patent has expired however. Thus others can make for it as well. (remember how the BMCC EF came out right after the EF mount expired....)

6 hours ago, photographer-at-large said:

Hoping lenses mount in clockwise direction,

and focus rings turn in industry standard direction

Nah, won't happen. Nikon photographers would be pissed as hell if they do not conform to their industry standard

1 hour ago, leeys said:

Nikon IS a lens company, they're not going to share their lunch with Sigma. 

They will if it means Nikon has an overall stronger system that enables them to be #1 in mirrorless (and thus then #1 in the entire camera world in general in the future....). 

It is balance Nikon will need to play between more revenue for them from having all of a smaller system or part of a much larger system. 

Nothing is still able to replace my nx1 as an all around still+video camera with great quality, 24-200 range, fast native af lenses. Fuji is near, but still not there. M43 for me is a no-go for the ratio in stills, that I never liked, the low mp and smaller sensor.

A7r-iii is there, actually would be my best choice, but definitely too expensive, especially with decent native lenses.

Nikon could do something good, but I bet it won't.

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

They will if it means Nikon has an overall stronger system that enables them to be #1 in mirrorless (and thus then #1 in the entire camera world in general in the future....).

If you look at Nikon's history, they don't have a mentality like it. NIH is very very strong with them.

On 1/19/2018 at 7:17 PM, Mattias Burling said:

Yes. The e-mount is still protected as well. So far they allow e-mount lenses from third party but no cameras. Which is a major bummer.

I am assuming Kinefinity just doesn't care about IP laws for the E mount:

http://www.kinefinity.com/shop/k2e/?lang=en

The more I use clear zoom for Jpeg stills and video with Sony, the more I hope Nikon (and Canon) does something similar IE a virtually lossless variable digital zoom up to 2x.

You CAN go to 4x using the regular digital zoom but there is noticeable loss as you get up above 2x.

It just means you don't need zooms at all other than for longer range ease of use options.       You can use fast primes as zooms and if it is close to lossless, it means even if there is SOME loss of quality using some of the better prime lenses, you still end up better off than using many poorer quality lenses (zoom and prime).

Of course there is nothing to stop you using it with zoom lenses either to increase the range.