Your Nikon mirrorless wishes

Inazuma

So the first reports are in that the new Nikon mirrorless camera may have a new mount (Z mount), with a 49mm diameter and 16mm flange. For comparison the Sony E mount diameter is 46.1mm and 18mm flange.

I wanted to know what everyone's wishes are for this new camera.

Personally:

• Retains the Nikon colour and tonality rendition of the D750.
  • Body size and weight similar to the Panasonic G80. Please no bigger than the Sony A7 II series.
  • APS-C sensor with similar performance to the Sony a6500, Fuji X-T2.
  • Adapter that allows full control of its DSLR lenses. 
  • Video AF comparable to Sony a6500 or Canon M5
  • Prime lenses including 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm equivalents, in compact sizes.
  • Similar layout/ergonomics to the Canon M5. 
  • Good quality 1080p with sharpness comparable to the Panasonic G80 or even the GH5.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The z Mount is interesting because of the flange distance. I hadn’t realized that the Nikon 1 Mount has a longer flange distance, so I assume they’re going to make an adapter for both their F Mount lenses and their Nikon 1 lenses, and possibly just use all of their Nikon 1 designs and production and put the new Mount on their 1 lenses. Also it’s very cool to see that a lot of C Mount lenses will work in FF with the Z Mount. Hmm. 

Also with Sony having IBIS, I assume Nikon will have to have it as well to compete early on with Sony’s head start. 

I am not too sure anyone can make a FF mirroless as small as Sony can. It is on the verge of overheating almost all the time. I doubt Nikon has the engineering knowledge to overcome what Sony in reality can't, and Physics to boot.

And man Sony is so Far ahead of Canon, Nikon on a FF Mirrorless camera I don't see how they can ever catch up. And to come out with all new lenses, whew I don't envy them. I think they maybe have shit around too long.

I am not saying they will flop, but to be a leader in it, ehh I don't see it. Video is Now the thing, and Sony it pretty much king of that. Canon is Canon is Canon's problem on video. I would argue if Canon had not come up with DPAF they would be a dot on a map, non pro wise, with video cameras in this day and age. It is the thing that has sort of saved their ass. And the New Sony A7r III, A9 are not that far behind focus wise.

4 minutes ago, noone said:

My first wish is that they (and Canon) just get on with it.

I agree, I just want more mirrorless options. I actually like DSLRs, but it seems that Nikon and Canon May introduce more video oriented features in a mirrorless. 

To add, at first I thought it was a bad move for Nikon to go with a new mount and make it more difficult for their loyal pros to use the lenses they’ve acquired over the years but since the flange distance is so small, it may have been brilliant in the end for choices.

On the other hand, I think a FF Canon mirrorless absolutely needs to be in EF Mount.

Their first will probably be like the Sony A7. But I'd consider a 2nd or 3rd gen. Although, they're probably going after fullframe, so... that's really not my space, actually. Doubt they'll go for an APS-C line-up. But I'd actually be up for something along the lines of a D5600 but rather than DSLR, of course in a mirrorless package, including sensor stabilization and full readout 4K, plus mic-in/headphone interface. Time will tell I guess. For now I'm sticking with MFT.

"I am not too sure anyone can make a FF mirrorless as small as Sony can. It is on the verge of overheating almost all the time. I doubt Nikon has the engineering knowledge to overcome what Sony in reality can't, and Physics to boot."

Sony are obsessed with keeping their mirrorless bodies small -part of their marketing .

The engineering knowledge to reduce heat is quite straight forward and if a small company like 

Blackmagic can I'm sure Nikon have the R&D to do it 

5a5a68707b907_Blackmagicliquidcooling.thumb.jpg.9ed7364ae3c3902e6524f0b76c4bae0d.jpglackmagic can do Nikon can as well

I hope for an 18-105mm like Sony has, plus pancake lenses. (Saw the Canon 40mm f2.8 yesterday on a camera, so jealous!)

I dream of 10bit, & to have 4K with no crop. But this is Nikon, I won't hold my breath.

It better have a mic jac, & a screen that can flip forward.

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

Their first will probably be like the Sony A7. But I'd consider a 2nd or 3rd gen. Although, they're probably going after fullframe, so... that's really not my space, actually. Doubt they'll go for an APS-C line-up. But I'd actually be up for something along the lines of a D5600 but rather than DSLR, of course in a mirrorless package, including sensor stabilization and full readout 4K, plus mic-in/headphone interface. Time will tell I guess. For now I'm sticking with MFT.

I could have written that myself. Agreed.

52 minutes ago, Aussie Ash said:

"I am not too sure anyone can make a FF mirrorless as small as Sony can. It is on the verge of overheating almost all the time. I doubt Nikon has the engineering knowledge to overcome what Sony in reality can't, and Physics to boot."

Sony are obsessed with keeping their mirrorless bodies small -part of their marketing .

The engineering knowledge to reduce heat is quite straight forward and if a small company like 

Blackmagic can I'm sure Nikon have the R&D to do it 

5a5a68707b907_Blackmagicliquidcooling.thumb.jpg.9ed7364ae3c3902e6524f0b76c4bae0d.jpglackmagic can do Nikon can as well

Do you realise how MASSIVE that heatshrink is?? And that isn't even a FF sensor.

If Nikon made a FF mirrorless with that heatsink then it would make the D5 look small!!

9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

And man Sony is so Far ahead of Canon, Nikon on a FF Mirrorless camera I don't see how they can ever catch up. And to come out with all new lenses, whew I don't envy them. I think they maybe have shit around too long.

I am not saying they will flop, but to be a leader in it, ehh I don't see it. Video is Now the thing, and Sony it pretty much king of that. Canon is Canon is Canon's problem on video. I would argue if Canon had not come up with DPAF they would be a dot on a map, non pro wise, with video cameras in this day and age. It is the thing that has sort of saved their ass. And the New Sony A7r III, A9 are not that far behind focus wise.

You know Canon already has a larger mirrorless market share than Sony, right? Olympus #1, Canon #2, Sony #3. In addition to having about 60% of the DLSR market and a overall market share that's almost as large as everyone else combined. A FF Canon mirrorless will sell very well, despite the inevitable hate from people on video boards. They have a larger user base than anyone else, more lenses sold, far more potential buyers. Instead of Canon shooters switching systems (something people don't like to do) or adapting EF lenses to Sony bodies, they can buy a Canon body. 

Cheers

chris

Sorry to go OT. My hope for the Nikon mirrorless is a GH5 size body with the d850 innards and great AF. Don't think they'll do APS-c after killing the small sensor Nikon1 system - which by the way still has some pretty amazing AF. Panasonic could learn lots from the little Nikon. They see where the enthusiasts are spending their money - on $3200/4500 Sony FF bodies. Nikon could release a a7r3 killer with the d850 sensor, and with the D5 sensor a a7s2/a9 killer, since they don't have to gimp video features to protect more expensive video cameras - but they likely won't.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

False, as Nikon is well ahead with more lenses ever sold for Nikon F mount than Canon ever has done for Canon EF mount. 

Could we see some numbers? For every Nikon camera I see I see at least 50 Canon. Counting low, its probably 100 :)

Would be interesting to see if Nikon was still ahead. Back in the day regular Joe's didn't buy multiple lenses, if at all. So I wonder if its enough.

TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce that total production of NIKKOR lenses* for Nikon interchangeable lens cameras reached one-hundred million* in June of 2016.

17 October 2017—Canon Inc. announced today that the Company has reached two major production milestones—a cumulative total of 90 million interchangeable-lens EOS cameras and 130 million1 EF-series interchangeable lenses.

Does anyone else feel it would be a shame if the body was to be as big as the GH5 (which is as big as the d750)? I know that a lot of you are using these mirrorless cameras in professional circumstances but I really think camera companies are missing a trick here by abandoning small bodies and lenses and abandoning more casual users. I guess my demographic must be pretty niche these days. My ideal camera really would be the a6500 with better 1080p and maybe reduced quality 4k so the screen doesn't have to dim and the body doesn't overheat. 

2 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Does anyone else feel it would be a shame if the body was to be as big as the GH5 (which is as big as the d750)? I know that a lot of you are using these mirrorless cameras in professional circumstances but I really think camera companies are missing a trick here by abandoning small bodies and lenses. I guess my demographic must be pretty niche these days 

For me it depends on the lenses you mount. I love how small my X-Pro2 is... with the tiny Fuji F2 primes. Not a fan of how it balances with the massive 90mm F2. With a full frame camera there's a limit to how small you can make the lenses*, so generally I'd rather a bigger body that balances well in the hand with a lens mounted. 

( * Obviously Leica has managed to make small lenses for full frame cameras, and if Nikon follows suit then by all means make the body smaller!)

GH5 is heavier and bigger than it should for such a small sensor, and lenses’s weight/size (Heat sink of course).

A7 mk II camera’s are not great ergonomically for a full frame camera, and full frame lenses.

NX1 is still my golden standard, as far as ergonomics and lenses size/weight ratio goes (and sensor of course, sweet spot really, especially for video/hybrid shooters).

I do not believe in “one body to rule them all”. Carry-around and pro operations are two completely different things.

The best idea is to have a smaller camera for pancake lenses and jacket carrying operation. That is why I have 2 NX1 for most things, a NX500 with the same sensor as a C cam and carry around, and a NX3000 as a D cam and everyday - do not care, give it to anyone- cam. NXs very good (to excellent) 10/16/20/30/45mm pancakes and the very good 16-50pz are great companions for the smaller bodies, buT one should check a NX1 with the 30mm pancake to believe its size and weight though (NX1 is a relatively lean camera).

My next system has to offer at least 2 different options size/weight wise.

Nikkor lenses started selling since the dawn of time, EF lenses are more recent, so Canon sold a lot more, still Nikon is number 2 by far, which is not something  to take it light, they are just running out of time.

46 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

My ideal camera really would be the a6500 with better 1080p and maybe reduced quality 4k so the screen doesn't have to dim and the body doesn't overheat. 

I find the A6500 grip revolting and would be happier if Sony made the body larger with less

overheating problems-which seems the route Fujifilm are going with X-H1.

Canon and Nikon have DSLRs that are lighter than the X-T2 

Canon SL2    453gms with battery

Sony A6500   453gms  with battery

Nikon D5600 470gms with battery

Fijifilm X-T2  507 gms with battery