DJI Ronin-S VS. the Zhiyun Crane V2?

Media Kat

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is a topic I'll be visiting when the BM Pocket 4K comes out as if I buy the Pocket 4K I'll probably also be looking for a gimbal for it to make it my single camera setup.

What kind of interest do we anticipate in the Ronin from DoPs / professional steadicam operators?  I would imagine that Zhiyun wouldn't have a great name in industry, but my (outside) impression is that Ronin is a different story?

The reviewers all say the Ronin S is definitely quite heavy. Perhaps too heavy. Apart from that, it seems to be too good to be true. Definitely looks absolutely sophisticated and well-thought out. High tech from China.

I have the Ronin M. Rarely used because too heavy. Didn't sell it because I wouldn't get enough money back. What is the purpose of a gimbal anyway? To shoot hyperlapses? Don't think so. I have the Zhiyun, er, "one". Very lightweight. Would it hold the Pocket 4k? Needed a baseplate at least (some 20 bucks). And the display is blocked by the roll motor. Needed an external monitor - and have one. With small superclamp to mount it and with smallest NP-F970 accu it adds 230 g. So whether I need the Ronin S remains to be seen.

"This is heavy" - no weight specs given... 

The 3 gimbals in this "class" (assuming Ronin-S is similar) would be Ikan Pivot, Tilta G2/G2X and Ronin-S.  Ikan and Tilta weigh 4lb and rated for 8lb gear.

I'm waiting for the Ronin-S but I might get the Tilta G2X in the meantime.  The Pilotfly Adventurer is 2lb / 6lb. The promo vids for the adventurer is full of shakes so not really selling me there (probably user error, but still, the official promo...).  Also it requires a custom battery (like the Ronin-S) which I find annoying, and "only" has 6 hour battery life, and is more expensive than the Ikan and Tilta gimbals. 

I don't know if Tilta's "selfie" mode is actually different than any other gimbal, but you can mount the camera "backwards" to more easily balance longer lenses which is a plus.  However you have to activate it using the app, which is kind of dumb that you can't do it right from the gimbal.

They all have pros and cons, still on the fence but I do need something bigger.

I have a Crane v2 (not the heavier Crane 2) and I'll have chance probably this week or next week to test the Ronin-s for myself. I'll try to do a side-by-side comparison. Though they're not exactly comparable, I just to get a feel for usability, etc. 

Crane V2 can handle max 4lbs (weighs 2.4lbs) , meanwhile the Ronin-S can handle at least twice that (probably weighs 4lbs), plus can balance longer lenses and bigger cameras.

The G2X can rock C200+Sigma 18-35mm, so Ronin-S should be able to do that if not more (from what they said on the NAB videos).

Not that I would want to handle that without a vest...

Just ordered a used G2X from BH to tide me over until Ronin-S comes out.

Because the extra weight capacity goes to waste when the back of the gimbal prevents you from balancing longer loads (either heavier and longer lenses or camera bodies).  Also the roll motor blocks the screen of cameras with non swing out monitors.  Hence a whole bunch of new gimbals with the angled motor.

Try putting c200 on moza air.

6 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Because the extra weight capacity goes to waste when the back of the gimbal prevents you from balancing longer loads (either heavier and longer lenses or camera bodies).  Also the roll motor blocks the screen of cameras with non swing out monitors.  Hence a whole bunch of new gimbals with the angled motor.

Try putting c200 on moza air.

Agreed, I intend on getting this gimbal for a c200B that I know will be a great match with it. 

I don't understand all the reviewers staying how heavy this gimbal is? I held it at NAB and didn’t think it was heavy at all. It felt considerably lighter than the Tilta, which was my second choice.

Also the DJI booth was by far my favorite at the show. Super friendly and open to answer any questions on camera.  

I have the Crane 2 (the bigger one) and I just got the new mechanical focus motor, and it’s a revelation. Being able to pull focus using the Crane 2 wheel without having rig and power a bunch of different stuff is amazing. And they’re selling the gimbal and follow focus together for like 1000 bucks AUD!  Seriously, if you’re in the market for a gimbal you really need to look at the Crane 2. 

3 hours ago, jhnkng said:

I have the Crane 2 (the bigger one) and I just got the new mechanical focus motor, and it’s a revelation. Being able to pull focus using the Crane 2 wheel without having rig and power a bunch of different stuff is amazing. And they’re selling the gimbal and follow focus together for like 1000 bucks AUD!  Seriously, if you’re in the market for a gimbal you really need to look at the Crane 2. 

What camera are you using it with?