In the Field Backup Solution

jonpais

LaCie’s 2TB DJI Copilot BOSS USB 3.1 Type-C External hard drive looks like a nifty way to back up files on the road, and dispenses with the need for bringing along a laptop. Files can be transferred directly to the drive with its built-in SD card reader and it can even be used to charge your other devices. An LCD screen provides information about file transfers, storage and remaining battery life and files can be managed on a smartphone using their app. Like the LaCie Rugged line of drives, it’s also dust, splash and shock resistant.

source

34E7ED4A-7A37-4D62-BE01-127082C5ECF7.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Been using the Nexto DI 2901 with a 1TB SSD for the last few years to transfer RAW ML files from my 5D MKIII, and although they've discontinued it, it's served me well.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1194890-REG/nexto_di_nese_nd2901500s_nd2901_500gb_ssd_portable.html

Definitely open to newer options tho. Wish the CF option was built in although I get that CF cards are on their way out, but I'll be rockin' Canon stuff for the foreseeable future so that kind of sucks. Also hoping these new options will allow us to switch out the drives like the Nexto DI.

• 1 year later...
  • Super Members

Most have USB host ports though so you can just plug a reader in to them.

I do like the look of the Nexto (and whilst not cheap its actually cheaper than I thought it would be) but for my uses it lacks the ability to serve the files wirelessly so I'm still looking at the DIY route.

There is a new SBC called Rock Pi that as well as USB3 ports also has an M.2 interface onboard.

That is a bit of a gamechanger as it means you can have 1TB on onboard SSD storage for portable card backup in the field that can also act as a wireless drive to an iPad and can even transcode if you wanted it to and all for a total cost of under £200 including the storage.

I've built experimental ones with other SBCs but even the ones with USB3 have had that achille's heel of needing external drives to dump onto which makes them a bit clunky.

I'm going to try and pick one of these up and see if it can match the potential.

23 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Most have USB host ports though so you can just plug a reader in to them.

I do like the look of the Nexto (and whilst not cheap its actually cheaper than I thought it would be) but for my uses it lacks the ability to serve the files wirelessly so I'm still looking at the DIY route.

There is a new SBC called Rock Pi that as well as USB3 ports also has an M.2 interface onboard.

That is a bit of a gamechanger as it means you can have 1TB on onboard SSD storage for portable card backup in the field that can also act as a wireless drive to an iPad and can even transcode if you wanted it to and all for a total cost of under £200 including the storage.

I've built experimental ones with other SBCs but even the ones with USB3 have had that achille's heel of needing external drives to dump onto which makes them a bit clunky.

I'm going to try and pick one of these up and see if it can match the potential.

I have the older model (ND2901)... and while I haven't used it in a bit, it worked pretty well when I did... this new one looks like it'll be a great upgrade.

• 5 months later...
20 hours ago, kye said:

YouTubers have been promoting the new Gnarbox 2.0 which looks kind of cool.

IIRC it has ability to plug in an external USB drive for storage, as well as a USB port for an external card reader, and can do cool things like backup a card to the internal and external drive at the same time.

Looks like it only allows SSD's up to 1TB in size (or maybe I'm misunderstanding the specs) while the Nexto allows for 4TB SSDs and technically can take drives up to 32TB in size, which seems like a much better long term investment. 

2 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

Wouldn't you need a pretty sick data plan for wireless backup to make economic sense?

I mean wireless on field via Wifi to some external wireless device... No need data plan : ) But once you mention, how do you think 5G will work out? ; -)

2 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

Looks like it only allows SSD's up to 1TB in size (or maybe I'm misunderstanding the specs) while the Nexto allows for 4TB SSDs and technically can take drives up to 32TB in size, which seems like a much better long term investment. 

Just had a look at the spec page and it only has an internal SSD up to 1Gb, but doesn't specify a limit of how large an external drive, so who knows.  If there is a size limit that would be quite limiting, I agree.

40 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I mean wireless on field via Wifi to some external wireless device... No need data plan : ) But once you mention, how do you think 5G will work out? ; -)

I actually know nothing about any of that stuff, which is why I was asking...