The pleasure and beauty of a NO lowlight camera! the beauty of AJA CION

PannySVHS

On 1/9/2018 at 9:39 PM, PannySVHS said:

The Aja Cion is  a well known camera. It provides astonishing, rich and subtle color and encourages the search and appreciation for the beauty of light.

Unlike other cameras, which are abused to promote the appreciation for artefacts in crappy light or no-light, such as the exellent DSLM by the name of Sony A7sii. The AJA shows, just like the BMProduction Camera or the Digital Bolex, that a luxurious, luscious look can be easily achieved with 12 stops of DR. No DSLM comes close to this beautiful representation and rendering of color and light.

I almost fell asleep watching it, and I just got up from a nap! I don't like them, and from their lackluster sales over many years I am not alone. Sorry.

13 hours ago, Liam said:

Yeah it's gross

Yikes, people from Mars, the Red Planet!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Thomas Hill said:

Hmm, I'm thinking @Liam was being sarcastic

uhhhh yeaah? i thought so too?

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I almost fell asleep watching it, and I just got up from a nap! I don't like them, and from their lackluster sales over many years I am not alone. Sorry.

Yikes, people from Mars, the Red Planet!

u guys dont like the color in this video? its so warm and lovely it makes people look amazing??? what!

!!!!!!

1 hour ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Yeah, not the biggest fan of magenta skin. She just looks sick to me. ?

because of your comment, i looked at that footage on another display – and its WILDLY magenta

what the heck~! quite a difference... odd ? hmmm better look into this...

6 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

Not worth it! Not when you can get an URSA Mini 4K for less. 

However, this one is going for even cheaper (US$3,350 or "make an offer"):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AJA-CION-4K-UHD-Camera-with-V-type-AB-EF-PL-VCT-Zacuto-Pelican-1510/192405600975

2 hours ago, DBounce said:

AJA sent me out one a while ago. Can’t say I was impressed at all. Plus the thing is giant.

I passsd and have never regretted it.

What other cameras have you used, RED ONE / FS700 / URSA / URSA Mini / Arri Alexa / F3 / F5 / etc? And out of those cameras, when you say "giant" how does it compare? Bigger/smaller/heavier/lighter? Both in reality, and in how it felt to you. (because a camera can be technically bigger, but "feel smaller" due to a good design. Or the opposite!)

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Not worth it! Not when you can get an URSA Mini 4K for less. 

However, this one is going for even cheaper (US$3,350 or "make an offer"):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AJA-CION-4K-UHD-Camera-with-V-type-AB-EF-PL-VCT-Zacuto-Pelican-1510/192405600975

What other cameras have you used, RED ONE / FS700 / URSA / URSA Mini / Arri Alexa / F3 / F5 / etc? And out of those cameras, when you say "giant" how does it compare? Bigger/smaller/heavier/lighter? Both in reality, and in how it felt to you. (because a camera can be technically bigger, but "feel smaller" due to a good design. Or the opposite!)

The AJA Cion is larger than say Sony FS7 etc... It’s a large and professional format of camera. It would be at home on set. But this is not the sort of thing that you will ever take along on a whim. It’s a permit camera. It is not larger than the URSA, but larger than the mini. 

For what it does, imo there are better options. Clearly the market agrees, as sale have been dismal. 

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

Clearly the market agrees, as sale have been dismal. 

That would be an understatement! I Almost bought a one new when I got Tired of waiting for Red to ship their, at the time, Vaporware. Wow sometimes waiting is a good thing!

And this is why Red could not deliver Anything new!

"In February 2013, Red filed for an injunction against Sony, claiming that several of its new CineAlta products, particularly the 4K-capable F65, infringed on patents the company held. They requested that Sony not only be forced to stop selling the cameras, but that they be destroyed as well.[23] Sony filed a counter suit against Red in April 2013, alleging that Red's entire product line infringed on Sony patents. In July 2013, both parties filed jointly for dismissal, and as of July 20, 2013, the case is closed."

Of course did Jim Jannard tell anybody about this, Hell No! I guess he thought he was going to be a Billionaire.

After this being the second big delay from Red on promised products, I just gave up on them. I waited over 2 years on the Original Red. Nada, nothing. So I said the hell with it and took my money and bought a Porsche LoL. A used one mind you, I wasn't that rich.  Best decision of my life.  I have had a bunch of them. Daily fun.

Cine cameras are way too expensive anyways, not that Porsche's aren't either...

10 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Absolutely - that same vid looked good on my phone but on my monitor the magenta skin is undeniable.

after this little event, i recalibrated my samsung tv i use as a display and... the results are the same. the footage looks nice on my tv and wildly pink on my phone. god forbid i bring a *third* screen into this situation...

i expect discrepancies between displays, (even identical displays from the same manufacturer!) but im v concerned about this for obvious reasons. @TheRenaissanceMan is thinking im an idiot over here

ive never seen a difference in hue thats so unacceptable~! WHAT is going on with the magentas on these devices? WHY havent i noticed this before?

no bueno smh :(

2 hours ago, kaylee said:

after this little event, i recalibrated my samsung tv i use as a display and... the results are the same. the footage looks nice on my tv and wildly pink on my phone. god forbid i bring a *third* screen into this situation...

i expect discrepancies between displays, (even identical displays from the same manufacturer!) but im v concerned about this for obvious reasons. @TheRenaissanceMan is thinking im an idiot over here

ive never seen a difference in hue thats so unacceptable~! WHAT is going on with the magentas on these devices? WHY havent i noticed this before?

no bueno smh :(

Yup, this is one of the toughest things I have encountered. I just posted a couple screengrabs in a thread and I sent the same two screengrabs to my friend via iMessage. Now the ones posted here look a lot more contrasty than the ones I sent to my friend even though they came from the very same jpeg and I’m looking at both on my phone and they still look different. Ugh. 

And with the video in question here, the girl’s skin looks a little magenta but not enough for me to say it looks horrible.

This stuff can be so frustrating some times...

24 minutes ago, mercer said:

I just posted a couple screengrabs in a thread and I sent the same two screengrabs to my friend via iMessage. Now the ones posted here look a lot more contrasty than the ones I sent to my friend even though they came from the very same jpeg and I’m looking at both on my phone and they still look different. Ugh. 

i kno rite. are you posting sRGB jpgs?

maybe ill just go back to full time black and white lol

@kaylee I exported the frame from FCPX and saved it on my desktop and then from there I sent it via iMessage to my friend where it looks exactly like it did on my timeline. When uploaded here, through the site’s file upload option, it looks different... mostly more contrasty... which does affect the color a little... so to answer you’re question... in the longest way possible... I’m unsure how the site interprets them?

Ok, so on IG it looks like it did on my timeline... so the site must do something to it. I guess I’ll have to find a hosting site... which I should do anyway.

11 minutes ago, kaylee said:

tumblr.com = free, have multiple blogs, etc

all i know is i export all my web jpgs as sRGB from photoshop. obviously seems like this sites uploader is behaving differently

check out tumblr! i use it for all my posts lol

Hmm, I’ll have to look at my settings on FCPX... it’s possible I’m exporting as Rec709, Rec710... whatever it takes... lol. 

But I thought sRGB and Rec709 were fairly close?

Thanks for the tumblr tip... I’ll look into it.

15 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

Maybe, but the Cion would look much nicer on a display shelf in my lounge.

Haha! If you want it for that purpose, why not just buy an old Arri or Aaton 16mm film camera instead to put on your shelf? Even nicer! :-D