Nice NX1 Work

Matthew Hartman

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, cojocaru27 said:

hi guys, thanks for the appreciations. The settings are pretty step forward. Normal profile pic, sharpness -7, contrast -1 and master blacks around +8.  And grading was done in Final Cut Pro using its newest grading tool, manual corrected, no LUT used. That's about it. 

Very nice man!

15 hours ago, cojocaru27 said:

hi guys, thanks for the appreciations. The settings are pretty step forward. Normal profile pic, sharpness -7, contrast -1 and master blacks around +8.  And grading was done in Final Cut Pro using its newest grading tool, manual corrected, no LUT used. That's about it. 

What saturation level did you use?

3 hours ago, cojocaru27 said:

saturation was left to 0.  I was shooting photos in the same time, timelaps, and i used this profile as it give a good base for both video and 

3 hours ago, cojocaru27 said:

saturation was left to 0.  I was shooting photos in the same time, timelaps, and i used this profile as it give a good base for both video and stills. 

I'm seeing an emerging pattern here as it concerns the NX1 and the best looking footage I've seen this camera produce and that pattern is subtle changes to the camera's default settings.

Although, I do turn my sharpness all the way to -10 and reccomend that if you want to get a softer, less digital look and help reduce aliasing and morie. But turn it to -8 when shooting 1080. 

The camera is not perfect and in the wrong hands and Youtube and Vimeo's compression can look like utter crap.

It has a "thin" look (as does the GH5) which is hard to describe in words, and I've been experimenting with ways to "deepen" the character of the image. I think some of this is the difference between using stills lens' and proper cine lens'.

Shaky footage in 4k does not compliment this camera as it's rolling shutter is pretty pronounced, even vertically. As my eye gets more acclimated to the character of this camera the more I see how bad it is. Global shutter is the way to go in this department.  

A lot of ppl rag on the camera's DR, but I challenge them to shoot high contrast scenes with any camera costing under $4,000 not see simlar issues. That being said, if you take control of your lighting, blown out highlights can be totally avoided. Here's a good video demonstrating those general techniques: