Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5S brings massive low light improvement - exclusive interview and hands-on

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

Not for me. Just put my GH5 and two A6500's up for sale. Once you own them, you realise how they are just not worth it.

Bought a cheap A6000 on sale. Going back to the A6000 for stills, and BMPCC/BMMCC for motion.

No way to achieve IBIS and high sensitivity outcome -- a plus for low cost cinematography going on towards that direction.

My only beef is that 500 bucks as extra charge is actually exorbitant; I'd even add as abusive this manufacturer or the usual suspects like Sony or Canon fail to explain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Not sure whether this has been posted before. Really like Bernard Bertrand's simple kit: Leica Nocticron, cage, Inferno, Bright Tangerine Titan Arm, light. V-Log, ISO 3200-6400. Handheld. The Titan is a bit on the expensive side, but worth every penny. 

I switched to arri rosettes and rails to mount my Atomos Samurai as I was sick of dealing with a magic arm!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

No way to achieve IBIS and high sensitivity outcome -- a plus for low cost cinematography going on towards that direction.

My only beef is that 500 bucks as extra charge is actually exorbitant; I'd even add as abusive this manufacturer or the usual suspects like Sony or Canon fail to explain.

How do you mean "no way to achieve IBIS and high-sensitivity outcome"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

How do you mean "no way to achieve IBIS and high-sensitivity outcome"?

Your camera examples have no IBIS nor high ISOs performance for low budget production, right Simon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cinegain said:

And once you add all the options, accessoires, powersupplies and storage needed to operate a true cinema or production camera, be it a EVA1, VariCam LT, Blackmagic URSA Mini, Sony FS, Canon Cinema EOS, Kinefinity Terra, RED, ARRI, etc, you're looking at spending a 5 figures amount!

Nah! Not for the frugal wonderboy that is the Sony PMW-F3 :-D

F3 = sub $1K
Samurai = $350
SSD = less than a hundred bucks (spend the spare bucks on NP-F batteries for the recorder! Or run it on D-tap from a BP-U60)
SxS SD adapter plus SD card = fifty bucks perhaps
Couple of knock off BP-U60 batteries (if you're F3 doesn't already come with it!) = another hundred bucks

If you go the 4K raw path instead, your starting figures are:
Sony FS700 = sub $2K
Atomos = sub $1K
(plus various accessories... but I'm going to bed now! Cya)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Your camera examples have no IBIS nor high ISOs performance for low budget production, right Simon?

Correct.

IBIS and very high-ISO performance are definitely two things I like, but neither are ever my priority when looking at a new camera. For me its dynamic-range, highlight roll-off, and colour accuracy/fidelity (ESPECIALLY in skin-tones).

The GH5, despite being a very fun camera to work with (mainly due to the IBIS) always left me feeling underwhelmed with its image. There was just something missing.

My Blackmagic cameras have the opposite effect on me - when they're not surprising me, they're blowing me away with the image they deliver. Especially with the 4.7 firmware update on the Micro (that improved sensor exposure sensitivity by 2 stops)

Regarding my A6500's - they have IBIS and very good high ISO performance, however, I rarely ever used them for video. Almost strictly used them for photography only. Also, the handful of times I did use them for video, I found the ISO performance great, but the colours horrific.

Who knows - perhaps I've simply been spoilt by my Blackmagic cameras...

I still think the best camera setup for low-budget production is the BMPCC + Metabones x0.58 Speed Booster + Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 IS. If the budget can be pushed a bit more, and requires 50/60FPS, the BMMCC + Metabones x0.58 Speed Booster + Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 IS + Blackmagic 5" Video Assist (especially now with the 4.7 firmware update).

P.S. I might grab a cheap GX85, though - I'm very in love with the 20mm F1.7 lens. A GX85 might be the perfect home for it...:grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Of course, if you need 14 stops of dynamic range and you have superhuman powers that can detect motion cadence, I congratulate you. Because I've watched dozens of interviews with DoPs talking about everything under the sun, and not once has there ever been nonsense about motion cadence. Only in these pages!

Yeah you know something is a little weird if people are obsessed with details that top flight pros never never mention (who have it as their job to be obsessed over such tiny details!) 

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

It's a common complaint. The Titan is miles ahead of the rest. 

I'd love to try out the Titan, but my budget doesn't allow that! Maybe I'll come across the Titan magic arm on set randomly one day. 

9 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

My Blackmagic cameras have the opposite effect on me - when they're not surprising me, they're blowing me away with the image they deliver. Especially with the 4.7 firmware update on the Micro (that improved sensor exposure sensitivity by 2 stops)

Wait............ what??  :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

P.S. I might grab a cheap GX85, though - I'm very in love with the 20mm F1.7 lens. A GX85 might be the perfect home for it...:grin:

GX85 plus the 20mm is a pretty combo:) That lens with manual mechanical focus and mainting its pancake form factor would be so awesome. Awesome lens. Exellent TStop as well. I am starting to lust that old schoold 25mm 1.4 PanaLeica and the 15mm 1.7. Though still fly by wire :(

GH5s, give it zero sharpening setting and full VLOG curve and I will preorder. As crazy as it would be for me to buy a camera of that price, even though it would be the best camera deal of the last decades.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Now, Nocticron, V-Log, ISO 400, shot just weeks before with the GH5. Dramatic difference!

 

Wowsers, I think both look great.

One thing is very obvious, launch videos are better than they were for the GH5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

One thing is very obvious, launch videos are better than they were for the GH5.

The constraint of lacking IBIS inspired people to greater creative heights! ;-)

 

 

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

 

 


I like a lot how they included the light meter reading at the start! Every video should have this at the start :-D 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Wait............ what??  :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

 

I assume you're reacting to the firmware update I mentioned, yes?

The 2-stop boost might be for the Micro Studio Camera 4K only, not the Micro Cinema Camera. I will speak to my contacts at Blackmagic and verify.

I installed the 4.7 update on my Micro, however, have not tested yet. Sorry if I made it sound like I have shot with the firmware updated Micro. I definitely know the Micro Studio Camera 4K got the 2-stop boost via the 4.7 firmware - what I was trying to say earlier is that the cameras are awesome already and just get better and better with each update.

Regardless, looking back at everything I've shot thus far on my BMPCC and BMMCC, I'm still blown away. Even when I lift shadows a lot and exposure by one stop in Premiere, the image still looks great and so damn clean. There's just so much detail to push and pull. I can't do that on my GH5 or A6500. The Blackmagics are really amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stab said:

So is it official that there is no increase in Dynamic Range in video mode?

I usually shoot whole days at 4k 50fps so 10-bit and thus HLG is still a no go for me with the GH5s. Can anyone confirm that there is or isn't an increase in DR when shooting 8-bit 4k?

It is suppose to have 14 stops from what I have read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ryne275 said:

why buy this when a7sIII is imminent? hell , even an original a7s makes more sense than this...

Your in your own. Will a7S Mk III have an internal 10-bit 4:2:2 400Mbps codec? Does a7S have it? What about 4K60p?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

GX85 plus the 20mm is a pretty combo:) That lens with manual mechanical focus and mainting its pancake form factor would be so awesome. Awesome lens. Exellent TStop as well. I am starting to lust that old schoold 25mm 1.4 PanaLeica and the 15mm 1.7. Though still fly by wire :(

GH5s, give it zero sharpening setting and full VLOG curve and I will preorder. As crazy as it would be for me to buy a camera of that price, even though it would be the best camera deal of the last decades.

Wowsers, I think both look great.

One thing is very obvious, launch videos are better than they were for the GH5.

GX85 is definitely up there with my choices of BMPCC and BMMCC for the best indie camera - it's definitely the ultimate run and gun. Love the rangefinder body. With the 20mm, it's a deadly combination.

At the price the GH5s is, I think it's far wiser to wait for the A7S III.

If the A7S III offers high-bitrate 4K 10bit, 4K 60FPS, and IBIS, and has the new battery that Sony is using in the A7R III and A9, for $3000USD, then GH5s is pretty much doomed.

I still can't see Sony giving high-bitrate 10bit, however...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

GX85 is definitely up there with my choices of BMPCC and BMMCC for the best indie camera - it's definitely the ultimate run and gun. Love the rangefinder body. With the 20mm, it's a deadly combination.

At the price the GH5s is, I think it's far wiser to wait for the A7S III.

If the A7S III offers high-bitrate 4K 10bit, 4K 60FPS, and IBIS, and has the new battery that Sony is using in the A7R III and A9, for $3000USD, then GH5s is pretty much doomed.

I still can't see Sony giving high-bitrate 10bit, however...

If... Right ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...