Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5S brings massive low light improvement - exclusive interview and hands-on

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, seku said:

I couldn't believe 12+ stops either in VLOG-L, but Samuel Bilodeau  from Mystery Box (they did the official "Horizons" Panasonic HDR Short for the GH5s) states that you can use 14 stops under nearly all circumstances, with detail up to 16 stops (very noisy tho, but detail still there).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ultimately this is in a processed format where the gamma and tone curve has already been applied right? Even in raw stills a modern m4/3 sensor does what, ~13 stops of usable DR at most. You can bring up the shadows even more I suppose to get 16 stops but it's going to be all noise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 hours ago, Emanuel said:

on, there are two features I really miss on the GH5s version: IBIS and the upcoming 4K/60p 10-bit

Who believes GH6 will have 4K 60fps 10bit internal? Remember that the GH6 is a year (or more) away. I think optimistically the odds are only at best 50/50

Might need to wait for the GH7 before we see that. 

19 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Here's their "technical excuse":

 

oh what the fvck, I hadn't seen that video beforehand! Wow, the PR guy was trying to spin that much harder than I expected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, leeys said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ultimately this is in a processed format where the gamma and tone curve has already been applied right? Even in raw stills a modern m4/3 sensor does what, ~13 stops of usable DR at most. You can bring up the shadows even more I suppose to get 16 stops but it's going to be all noise.

Mystery Box are paid representatives of Panasonic. That isn’t to say they’re not free to report the facts as they see them, but it’s important to keep that in mind.Usable dynamic range, just like the highest ISO you can tolerate, is somewhat subjective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, verduzco said:

43 rumors posted an article with the exact crop factors calculated for the GH5S's sensor. From what I understand, if you want to use a speedbooster with the sigma zoom lenses you'll be out of luck. I hope I'm mistaken though since I primary use my sigma 18-35mm. 

https://www.43rumors.com/exact-crop-factors-caluclated-new-gh5s-multiaspect-sensor/

Quote

 

If you add a Speed Booster XL to the GH5s you get in DCI 4K a crop factor of 1,149x with 35mm lenses.

 

Wow!! That is for most practical purposes basically "full frame"!

Maaaaaaaaybe the Sigma 18-35mm might work at some focal lengths but not all? Maybe only 24-35m for instance? Be interesting if someone could test it out on a GH2/GH1 of a Speed Booster XL with a Sigma 18-35mm f1.8. 

But with a "normal" focal reducer (0.71x) you will be completely 100% fine. I use a Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 on a RJ Lens Turbo with my Panasonic GH1 (which has an identical sensor width of 19mm in 16:9 as the GH5S, which is already very close to the Canon APS-C width of 22mm!). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, IronFilm said:


Next step is to watch videos without sound, in B&W, and at 320P

 

21 minutes ago, jonpais said:

That’s how I watch @PannySVHS‘s videos!

You as filmmakers are referring to my honest and very positive feedback in a way that does not do anything to give me a smile as well.

Did you get me argumentation? You both know the power and craft of silent film. To judge the visual interest of a very short clip is to concentrate on the visuality of a film, espcially when it´s only 1min long.

To do a 480p test on Jons video was a compliment and trust towards the very high resolving lens. It´s the only time I have seen such good 480p on youtube.

4 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

From 43rumors,

"If you add a Speed Booster XL to the GH5s you get in DCI 4K a crop factor of 1,149x with 35mm lenses." 

Thats basically full frame.

Hey Mattias, great find! It would be awesome, to get this pony running with a Bmpcc speed booster: 0.58x1.796= 1.04, plus 1.7 stops increase in light gathering!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Who believes GH6 will have 4K 60fps 10bit internal? Remember that the GH6 is a year (or more) away. I think optimistically the odds are only at best 50/50


Might need to wait for the GH7 before we see that. 

It will come. Sooner or later but will come... :-)

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

oh what the fvck, I hadn't seen that video beforehand! Wow, the PR guy was trying to spin that much harder than I expected. 

Certain PR reps make us to feel children, uneducated or retarded... Make a triple pick LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

It will come. Sooner or later but will come... :-)

I would love to see Panasonics new sensor make it’s way into the GH6... that would be ground breaking. I think the way the GH5S implements the Starvis IMX294 is not ideal. This dual ISO business clearly has merits, but the idea of capturing both high and low ISO at once and combining them in real time to create a HDR video is more appealing to me. I wonder if this could be enabled in firmware? After all, this is what the sensor was originally designed to do. Instead Panasonic chose to disable this dual capture mode and use them independently... which while somewhat useful, is actually bastardizing the sensor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

 

You as filmmakers are referring to my honest and very positive feedback in a way that does not do anything to give me a smile as well.

Did you get me argumentation? You both know the power and craft of silent film. To judge the visual interest of a very short clip is to concentrate on the visuality of a film, espcially when it´s only 1min long.

This!!! Films are first and foremost a visual medium.

Every film should make sense without any sound. Sure sound enhances the experience but dialogue and sound effects support the visuals. Obviously, an exception would be music videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Brian Caldwell said:

Forgive me if this question has already been answered.  Does the GH5s have a full-frame 4:3 anamorphic mode - i.e., with a full 21.6mm image diagonal?  I know that 6k anamorphic is gone, but the maximum anamorphic image size is critical to me.

Thanks.

 

 

They should have given you one.

Geez even the first one since speedboosting is a huge part of M43 for many (ok not all) people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, mercer said:

This!!! Films are first and foremost a visual medium.

Every film should make sense without any sound. Sure sound enhances the experience but dialogue and sound effects support the visuals. Obviously, an exception would be music videos.

Glenn, in my usual condescend tone addressed to you (sorry, couldn't resist!), no idea if I must say I really do like this post of yours or not... LOL Something I know though, even when I am in doubt or I disagree with you, you still are one of my fav readings over here ;-)

E :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercer said:

This!!! Films are first and foremost a visual medium.

Every film should make sense without any sound. Sure sound enhances the experience but dialogue and sound effects support the visuals. Obviously, an exception would be music videos.

This This!!!:) Even for musicvideos I sometimes turn the music off to evaluate the visuals. Even some very trickery and expensive visuals cannot hide their lack of imagination sometimes. I watched a super hip hexy sexy musicvideo a few days ago. I left the music off, to see, if it was more than trickery. It was not, it was a complete rip off of from Wong Kar Wais and Chris Doyles masterpiece "Fallen Angels", but not referrencing or admittingly using inspiration, but copycatting into a lackluster montage and story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I have heard that number thrown out by some Panny people also. But with using V-Log L on paper limits you to 12 stops. I just don't know. This sensor, this camera Ought to do better than the Gh5 does. I don't really see how something that obliviously does better in low light not have some more DR! I guess we will find out soon.

Agreed...but Frazer did not say it comes with VlogL included...he just said Vlog...could have been a slip on his part, but  IF this camera has 14stops of DR it would use the identical log as the EVA and Varicam as it would have the latitude for the full curve!...anyway, a bit confusing at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Agreed...but Frazer did not say it comes with VlogL included...he just said Vlog...could have been a slip on his part, but  IF this camera has 14stops of DR it would use the identical log as the EVA and Varicam as it would have the latitude for the full curve!...anyway, a bit confusing at the moment.

Nice find... :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say ISO12800 is the 3200 on GH5, that is, the new territory to avoid, so ISO10000 on GH5S the new 1600 limit on GH5; as my most optimistic bet... about 2 stops and a half for lowlight, not bad. Imagine a f2.8 to let you see light as could be a f1.2 pick. With about 1.15x of crop coupled to SB 0.64x XL version, the new GH5S is the new FF* in town!

Even though, from other samples I've seen I'd even include 12800 (where others have also compared 12800 on GH5S to 3200 from GH5 too, so I believe I should not be too much optimistic over here).

 

* Sorry guys but I love to provoke a few minds from these boards... LOL :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I'd say ISO12800 is the 3200 on GH5, that is, the new territory to avoid, so ISO10000 on GH5S the new 1600 limit on GH5; as my most optimistic bet... about 2 stops and a half for lowlight, not bad. Imagine a f2.8 to let you see light as could be a f1.2 pick.

 

Which is *exactly* what I've been wishing for. :heart:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I'd say ISO12800 is the 3200 on GH5, that is, the new territory to avoid, so ISO10000 on GH5S the new 1600 limit on GH5; as my most optimistic bet... about 2 stops and a half for lowlight, not bad. Imagine a f2.8 to let you see light as could be a f1.2 pick. With about 1.15x of crop coupled to SB 0.64x XL version, the new GH5S is the new FF* in town!

What 2.8 zooms with IS would be a good pairing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...