Panasonic GH5S 4K / 240fps low light monster

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

L1170399b.jpg

Just last month I went to visit Panasonic UK for a hands-on with the new Panasonic GH5S. My full review is in the pipeline but first an introduction to the new camera on the block...

The GH5S has a newly developed 10.2MP sensor for enhanced low light performance, as well as 240fps 1080p S&Q. Furthermore for the first time since the GH2 this sensor is an over-sized 1.86x crop multi-aspect sensor.

Possible for the first time is 60p at Cinema 4K resolution (4096 x 2160), whereas the GH5 is just Ultra HD 60p. The field-of-view will be slightly wider in Cinema 4K on the GH5S compared to the GH5 due to the larger sensor. The new CMOS also brings colour improvements with a new 14bit readout and less noise.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Yes couldn't really comment on the rumours after signing an NDA - but most of all didn't want to drive traffic to the scumbags at 43rumors

The leaks this time were ridiculous. Needs to stop!

What is the point of having a nice surprise and big in-depth article when you already know everything from some shitty clickbait place that dribbles stuff out over months?

3 minutes ago, Germy1979 said:

They've literally already done a comparison haha

https://youtu.be/q4-yE4ytw5k

Quote from the video comparison with the a7S:

our initial assessment is that the Panasonic comes closer than we expected, and outperforms the Sony when you need to maintain a certain depth-of-field or when you shoot in Log.

I've been saying this for a long time that is the downside of the a7S, what good is insanely lowlight if your shallow DoF is impractical??

With the GH5S you can shoot both in low light *and* a DoF that makes sense for the shot. 

5 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Just saw the asking price. m4/3 isn't what it used to be.

Compared to a LS300 it´s pretty swell as a launch price. GH5s with better image, much better grading potential, 10bit vs 8bit, nice EVF and LCD, much better lowlight, no internal NDs of course. It is an interesting deal just like LS300 was and still is.

26 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Quote from the video comparison with the a7S:

I've been saying this for a long time that is the downside of the a7S, what good is insanely lowlight if your shallow DoF is impractical??

With the GH5S you can shoot both in low light *and* a DoF that makes sense for the shot. 

While there may be times that is an issue, I can not remember any time that really was an issue for me.

I think some focal lengths will favour smaller sensors and other larger ones.

FF wide angle lenses  can have infinite DOF pretty quick too.      Often the difference is shutter speed too rather than ISO (using auto ISO and A, S or M modes).

This seems like a wonderful camera though and while maybe not a replacement for a A7sii in really low light, it certainly negates the smaller sensor size at the ISOs most people use most cameras at.

Part of the beauty of the A7s is that I can use any lens at any aperture (including fast and slow) and I shoot a lot at high ISOs.    That wont change with this new camera but if I was after a camera that was AS capable as decent "normal" FF cameras or any APSC camera, I wouldn't be worried about smaller sensor size now.

This will be a far better video camera than the original A7s except for full HD at the highest ISOs though.       The A7sii might be a different matter for me.

For stills I will take the A7s still any day (even if I could afford this new camera.   

It is a game changer though.