Panasonic GH5S 4K / 240fps low light monster

Andrew Reid

4 minutes ago, eleison said:

Yes, and compare that combination to an A7Sii.  I'm expecting the Sony to spank the GH5s.  GH5s is trying to compete in a niche that the A7S dominates in.  I don't think this is a good strategy since I doubt the GH5s "can see in the dark" like the Sony.  The GH5s is probably a good camera OVERALL, but It's probably not the A7S killer that Panasonic is marketing the camera to be.

2 things that really hurt:

1) no IBIS

2) no PDAF

... but, it's good in low light.. not the greatest.. but good...  Just my opinion.

THis is getting crazy. ANd this camera is as good as a A7s mk ii until 25,000 and even at. Who gives a shit about ISO 200000, 300000!

This camera is made with no IBIS because Pros DON"T want IBIS. It is jittery as hell with it; You can never turn it off.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Jesus Newman just said in his video it has 14 stops, the Camera Store video says it. What Can I say!!

in the forum here, I believe Luke said he was told "2 additional stops". and I think he and many others made an assumption and added that up to 14 stops. i think that's where the confusion comes from. Luke also noted he didnt see a difference in the dynamic range between the GH5 and GH5S other than better highlight roll-off. That's why I think the "2 additional stops" refers to two more usable stops due to the cleaner image.

2 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

in the forum here, I believe Luke was told "2 additional stops" he and many others assumed added up to 14 stops. and i think that's where the confusion comes from. Luke also noted he didnt see a difference in the dynamic range between the GH5 and GH5S other than better highlight roll-off. That's why I think the "2 additional stops" refers to two more usable stops due to the cleaner image.

I would call two usable stops as a camera that has more stops. Eh not sure where you don't think that fact is true.

So you think the very last stop of any camera is clean as hell. Just abruptly stops as a perfect clean look

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

I would call two usable stops as a camera that has more stops. Eh not sure where you don't think that fact is true.

I agree. but it doesn't add up to 14. say you can see 12 steps on a xyla chart, but the bottom 4 are so noisy they are unusable. then another camera sees the same 12 stops on a xyla chart but only the bottom 2 are too noisy to use. that's the difference we're talking about. the range is still 12 stops in both scenarios.

10 minutes ago, eleison said:

... but, it's good in low light.. not the greatest.. but good...  Just my opinion.

It´s the best ISO 3200/6400 image, if you are after a cinematic image, not last resort kind of images seeing into the nolight areas. At lower ISOs it´s up there with the big boys, which the Sony is very far from being so. At lower ISOs the Sony has an image I can can reproduce and better easily with a 350 dollar Lumix G7.

5 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

How often do people even shoot that high? since switching from the A7s ii to the GH5 I've only had to go up to 3200 anyway... maybe its just the sort of things that I shoot

Different strokes for different folks.. "F8 and be there" -- having 25K+ iso helps especially for documentary people (or folks that run and gun, video taping their kids in a lightly light room; the, "'F+ck it, right now I don't know what or who to focus on; someone or something is bound to do something interesting in this wresting meet; I'll set the fstop as high as I can so I can get the most dof and see what I can capture"  hahahahahaha  Life comes at you fast when you have kids so keep everything in focus :-).

3 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

I agree. but it doesn't add up to 14. say you can see 12 steps but the bottom 4 are so noisy they are unusable. then another camera sees the same 12 stops on a xyla chart but only the bottom 2 are too noisy to use. that's the difference we're talking about. the range is still 12 stops in both scenarios.

There is no chart you have shown that shows a comparison of the EVA1 to the GH5s on a xyla chart,? That chart is just showing the Dual ISO thingy on the EVA1.

6 minutes ago, eleison said:

Different strokes for different folks.. "F8 and be there" -- having 25K+ iso helps especially for documentary people (or folks that run and gun, video taping their kids in a lightly light room).

f8 plus 25k for a7s would be the same as f4 plus 6400 for gh5s regarding light gathering and dof,  putting the GH5s into an advantage for a CINEMATIC image, A7s showing nasty artefacts, GH5s absent of any of these nasties and with much more vivid color. Additionally I would put my speedbooster on it and put "my":) GH5s on F5.6, equalling the DOF of f11 on the A7s. :)

6 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

f8 plus 25k would be the same as f4 plus 6400 light gathering and dof wise, putting the GH5s into an advantage for a CINEMATIC image, A7s showing nasty artefacts, GH5s absent of any of these nasties.

If you say so...  I want to see evidence though.  Make the gh5s fullframe by putting a speed booster on the gh5s (same DOF, same focal length, same perspective, etc.) and compare.  Lets see who has the better image.  Let the battle begin.  Otherwise, it's all hype to me right now.   F8 in a dim highschool gym... we are starting to talk about really high ISO...  especially if you are doing slow mo (120fps)....  Not to mention all the situations that documentary videographers encounter all the time (alley ways in the mid of the night???).  If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.  I use to have a gh2 and I used a gh4 for a bit.  I loved the gh2.

3 minutes ago, eleison said:

If you say so...  I want to see evidence though.  Make the gh5s fullframe by putting a speed booster on the gh5s (same DOF, same focal length, same perspective, etc.) and compare.  Lets see who has the better image.  Let the battle begin.  Otherwise, it's all hype to me right now. 

You are hyped about something, I see. I would call that exitement.:) Easy task, no need for a speedbooster here.

11 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

f8 plus 25k for a7s would be the same as f4 plus 6400 for gh5s regarding light gathering and dof,  putting the GH5s into an advantage for a CINEMATIC image, A7s showing nasty artefacts, GH5s absent of any of these nasties and with much more vivid color.

You stated it better than I could come up with. That is the big thing that makes this new camera a big thing. Plus I am shocked that Panny came out with this camera as soon after the EVA1 launch. The EVA1 has No EVF, and the LCD is worse than the GH5, GH5s. Amazing. I see no real reason to buy a EVA1 other than the form factor on a tripod with all the external buttons and the built in ND filters, which it doesn't have enough of anyway.

If you say so...  I want to see evidence though.  Make the gh5s fullframe by putting a speed booster on the gh5s (same DOF, same focal length, same perspective, etc.) and compare.  Lets see who has the better image.  Let the battle begin.  Otherwise, it's all hype to me right now. 

You can't make it FF just s35 or APSC is you prefer. Then it will look even better, the GH5s that it is already.

I am really excited about the camera.  The GH5 ist such a great camera. But i saw few examples of the GH5 that looked really cinematic. If the GH5 ist about to change that: nice! I guess the GH5 will stay the Go to camera for documentaries, Life Concerts, travel Videos,  and everybody who is starting out (cheaper). But i am wondering wether there GH5s will be used in Independent Films and such,  in a way ( and amount) the A7s and A7s2 have been. I guess we will find out in the next 1,5 years. Or someone very  talented will juet show us what is possible with the GH5...

4 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

You stated it better than I could come up with. That is the big thing that makes this new camera a big thing. Plus I am shocked that Panny came out with this camera as soon after the EVA1 launch. The EVA1 has No EVF, and the LCD is worse than the GH5, GH5s. Amazing. I see no real reason to buy a EVA1 other than the form factor on a tripod with all the external buttons and the built in ND filters, which it doesn't have enough of anyway.

My friend, trust Zak and me on the VLOG vs VLOG-L figure. 12stop and great color is nice. An awesome 12stop image is still better than a shitty 14stop one. Ever shot internal 8bit SLOG2 on a FS700, lol? :) Ever shot a 11 stop image with the Digital Bolex? Now the latter one is an image I would love to see in any of the new cameras!

Just now, webrunner5 said:

There is no chart you have shown that shows a comparison of the EVA1 to the GH5s?

yeah, I'm sure someone will eventually. but we have some hard facts we can look to. numero uno being that V-Log L has a limit of 12 stops. In this chart, you can see the difference between V-Log which can hold 16 stops, and the green box that illustrates what V-Log L will do. 

1U6yOh9.jpg

Well we all must admit this thread has at least been exciting to put it mildly.

7 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

My friend, trust Zak and me on the VLOG vs VLOG-L figure. An awesome 12stop image is still better than a shitty 14stop one. Ever shot internal 8bit SLOG2 on a FS700, lol? :) Ever shot a 11 stop image with the Digital Bolex? Now the latter one is an image I would love to see in any of the new cameras!

You lost me with the FS700, that camera had the worse image ever in a Sony camera. I really doubt the GH5s is going to be proved to have a shitty output.

6 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

You are hyped about something, I see. I would call that exitement.:) Easy task, no need for a speedbooster here.

The only thing I'm hyped about is the thought of not spending another $2-4 grand on a new camera this year.  The gh5s doesn't fill my main use cases.  I have an a7sii and the biggest thing I'm missing is PDAF.  The gh5s does not have that, and there is no conclusive evidence that it is better in low light/extreme low light than the a7sii.

I am also not excited about the a7sIII.  I was for a while, but I need a camera to have unlimited recording (theatre plays, recitals, etc. last more than 30mins).  The upcoming a7siii will probably not be hackable for a while since it does not have the sony playmemories app.  So yeah..  I'm hyped that I'm not going to be spending $2-4k  on a camera this yeah.  But to be honest, I have G.A.S. so I'm a bit sad at the same time.  hahahahah

The gh5s does not have that, and there is no conclusive evidence that it is better in low light/extreme low light than the a7sii.

Well up to about 12800 it would seem that the GH5S does in fact have the edge. The Sony retakes the lead beyond that point. So it really depends on where you will be shooting. Another consideration is that the added DOF might not be desirable on the Sony as it can make focus more challenging.