Panasonic GH5S 4K / 240fps low light monster

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Not all FE glass is super expensive.      The FE 85 1.8 is the biggest bargain ever in my view.

I think I will get one of these GH5s cameras but not for a year or two.

It isn't that it (fully) negates the A7s series low light advantages but more so that it DOES seem to negate M43 sensor size disadvantages in many ways.

57 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well this is not going to put Canon and Sony out of business, but this camera makes m4/3 nearly as good as FF and in some areas maybe even better. That alone is huge. A small camera with small lenses that cost less than the big boys on the same playing field. That is revolutionary in a sense. The GH5 didn't make that kind of impact, but I think this GH5s will.

once I seen they put dual iso in it I knew panasonic was going for the kill. I seen a dual iso video of the varicam a while ago and was blown away ! im surprised their high end cinema cam stuff is making it to their mirrorless line. Thats nuts.

Your right this wont put sony or canon out of business but the camera they answer back with is going to be a monster

5 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

This is going to be an amazing camera for people that shoot with rigs and gimbals etc.

its gonna suck for people like me who shoot handheld ?

Exactly how i feel. 95% of what i do is run and gun hand held so going back to warp stabilizer in Premiere, like the good ol G7 days, ain't happening. Lucky for us there's still the amazing GH5 and G9.

For its intended use, I'm sure the GH5s will be amazing.

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Obviously it is massively worse than the GH5s codec. A7s giving us worse performance at the setting with 12800ISO, of which I gave an example above. Half of the persons pants are one complete dark area on the Sony camera!

The other shot with the two Lumix cams has a spinning wheel at the right, so it has a moving object in there.

Inazuma, on a screen bigger than 19inches blocking of the Sony camera  is massively obvious. You can call it a draw between the two cams, which is an awesome performance for both of the cameras.These blocks on the A7s are like 8bit NES, whereas Panasonic blotches are still video. It would be considered better performance on a big screen for the GH5s. At ultra ultra lowlight of course, it is not performing to the same sensitivity as the A7s cameras.

How big a screen? My monitor is 32" :P

If you mean cinema screens then fair enough, but content from these consumer cameras are rarely seen on them. 

11 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

This isn't true. You aren't accounting for the light advantage already at play with larger sensors. So, when you stop down two stops to get the same DoF, you're ok because FF has a two stop sensitivity advantage over M34.

Not true, as you will need to shoot at two stops higher ISO with the FF camera over the MFT camera. 
So the FF camera will only be ok if it is two stops cleaner to start off with, which as we know is not always the case. 

10 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

Yes, all-else-equal, of course :)

Which never ever happens in real life. 

10 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Depending on sensor tech, lol!

At same exposure levels and in lowlight situation GH5S video shows same noise performance as A7SII at ISO 6400.

Exactly! So if I can shoot at IS0 6400 with the GH5S but the a7Smk2 is forced two stops higher to get the DoF needed for the scene then the Sony is going to be worse for the lowlight scene. It is as simple as that. 

10 hours ago, RobertoSF said:

Good to see the GH5S supports anamorphic shooting, v-log, 10-bit, low-light, C4K, time code sync, etc.  I may well have to get one. Odd that the EVA1 does not support anamorphic shooting.

Exactly, another area where the a7Smk2 is being let down. 

(for instance the great raw from the BMPCC means with noise reduction in post it can actually be pretty ok in lowlight! And in the GH5S vs a7Smk2 situation the Panasonic undoubtedly has a better codec than the Sony)

10 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

By the way, Kai is lacking a bit in competence regarding video compared to experts such as Luke Neumann or Jordan from TCS.

Kai is an entertainer first and foremost. Is not a technical camera nerd geek at all
Additionally he comes from the stills world, not the film world.

Thus naturally you need to take everything Kai says with a BIG GRAIN OF SALT!

Still love watching his videos though as he is after all a great entertainer :-) 

8 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

But let´s read what master Ebrahim has to say about this, giving his supreme analysis on the dp forum very soon! :)

OH BOY! Please link and quote it when this happens :-D

7 hours ago, horshack said:

No doubt the A7s's codec is inferior but I was only speaking to sensor performance - the codec can be worked around via external recording.

No. External recording is not a solution for all problems. You are not going to magically get ten bit recordings out of the Sony a7 series.

GH5s photo ISO test: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gh5s/panasonic-gh5sA7.HTM

GH5s video tests and comparisons: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gh5s/panasonic-gh5sA.HTM#shooting1

"At both 12,800 and 25,600, the GH5S looks slightly better than the A7S II at the same ISOs, which is both unexpected and subjectively highly impressive for a camera featuring a sensor that is a fraction the size of the other.

A sensor significantly smaller than the full-frame A7S II is beating that camera in low-light performance. I never thought I would see the day. With these test results, it's hard to argue that the GH5S is not the new king of low light."

So is it official that there is no increase in Dynamic Range in video mode?

I usually shoot whole days at 4k 50fps so 10-bit and thus HLG is still a no go for me with the GH5s. Can anyone confirm that there is or isn't an increase in DR when shooting 8-bit 4k?

38 minutes ago, Stab said:

So is it official that there is no increase in Dynamic Range in video mode?

You won't find anything "official" saying that. 

But on their official YouTube channel they have a certain someone saying it is a two stop increase in DR:

How true is this? Dunno. (he has replied himself on this point in the forums, worth looking up)

But if the shadows are so much cleaner, then I am not at all surprised if it does indeed have greater usable DR!

8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

It is not True with the new sensor anymore. You people need to look at some of these videos out there with a open mind. This new GH5s is a game changer. This new Sony sensor is the future. This camera makes the GH5 look like a camera that came out 3 years ago video wise. Vlog on the GH5s is pretty unbelievable, Way better than the GH5.

Again, the laws of physics can't be repealed. The A7s's sensor was already at/near the maximum light-gathering efficiency and low read noise potential of bayer sensors. The only way around these limits is a new sensor paradigm (such as RGBW layouts) or more advanced post-acquisition noise reduction, the latter of which is likely what the GH5 is incorporating.

Considering that IBIS is out, what lenses are available (primes & zooms) which include OIS?

This reminds me of the time when the original A7S came out - the low light capabilities made it an excellent choice for wedding / event shooters however since this also didn't have IBIS handheld shooters needed to look for stabilised lenses such as the Canon 35mm f2 IS.

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Fishy quote. The comparison images (probably SOOC jpeg) look like very aggressive NR on GH5S and a lot more detail in the A7SII shots. It is a big step for m43 sensors, but the same technology applied to a larger sensor will always beat it. And when it come to the needed DOF argument, APS-C seems like the sweet spot to me (Sony could do a A6500s, but that would really meddle with their FS line).

24 minutes ago, mdebono said:

Considering that IBIS is out, what lenses are available (primes & zooms) which include OIS?

This reminds me of the time when the original A7S came out - the low light capabilities made it an excellent choice for wedding / event shooters however since this also didn't have IBIS handheld shooters needed to look for stabilised lenses such as the Canon 35mm f2 IS.

Most Panasonic zoom lens have OIS (except ultra wide), the only prime have ois is the Panasonic 42.5 1.7 and Leica 42.5 1.2