Panasonic GH5S 4K / 240fps low light monster

Andrew Reid

Three great points for me are:

1. For the same DoF, it looks like the GH5s offers similar noise performance to the A7sII. 

2. The inclusion of an antialiasing filter. 

3. Better rolling shutter performance

What I would like to have seen is baked-in LUTs and of course, IBIS. This means this is not suited for my type of shooting, but for a more professional environment, this should be a fine camera. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Rumored said 4K 10bit. No 4k10bit..... 

"do you trade IBIS for better image quality and low light performance? Or keep the GH5, which of course is better for stills as well as bare-bones handheld shooting?" 
Easy answer: you wait A7SIII with even better low light, great AF unlike the unusable GH5 one, and IBIS that works with all lenses + FF look. 

• Super Members
23 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Compared to a LS300 it´s pretty swell as a launch price. GH5s with better image, much better grading potential, 10bit vs 8bit, nice EVF and LCD, much better lowlight, no internal NDs of course. It is an interesting deal just like LS300 was and still is.

Comparing to cameras released several years ago will often have such results...

You also forgot the prime zoom, formfactor, phantom powered XLRs and the s35mm sensor. But still no point in trying to compare release prices with three year old cameras imo.

Well, I am a "long time" panasonic user and I feel like they totally shit my mind...

They pulled out the GH5 early just to respond to the markets voice and the hype, but all the GH5S features should be included in the GH5. What was panasonics intention with this move? I will not sell my GH5 just to have the money for the GH5S. Screw you panasonic! I hope A7S III will come soon, than I trade my GH5...

Guys, keeping in mind that every company must have to plan two step in advance, it is obvious that Panasonic already have everything prepared for GH6 with IBIS, maybe and inclusion of prores or even raw.

GH5s is testing middle point (as previously GX model) and will look as some sort of funny nonsense when GH6 will be announce or come out as killer answer to Sony A7S III.

(Edit: and preparing to push price further with GH6)

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

I've been saying this for a long time that is the downside of the a7S, what good is insanely lowlight if your shallow DoF is impractical??

With the GH5S you can shoot both in low light *and* a DoF that makes sense for the shot. 

Then just stop down the lens ;).  Don't want to go down the rabbit hole of equivalency, but there's no reason a full frame camera can't achieve the exact same DoF as M43 and vice versa (Although it's easier for FF to achieve shallow DoF with current lens offerings).

8 minutes ago, silvertonesx24 said:

This will never happen for DSLR.

Never say never... BM Resolve is now free. Pocket is 4 years old. If some sort of Pocket II (or Ursa Micro) come out soon as their logical step in (hail to God) independent no-Japanese production line - Panasonic will surely react the first. Imho, road map for shaking news of GH6 is prepared: return of ibis for sure, lowlight is already spot - what rest is the first implementation and (for the first time modest) offering of raw. One is sure: GH5s is just anticipation (for gas addict and impatience ones ) for GH6.

It seems like the GH5S is geared more towards production companies, rather than run and gun and hybrid users, which is fine.  My only concern would be that they don't pull features out of the future GH6 just to differentiate it from other models, like many camera manufacturers do.  The hybrid user doesn't want to be compromised in stills or video just because of marketing positioning.  It should have everything they can put in, while keeping it a premiere hybrid camera.

16 minutes ago, silvertonesx24 said:

This will never happen for DSLR

Unless you include the BMPCC.  I agree with @funkyou86, the GH5S is what the GH5 should have been.  Panasonic should have some sort of trade-in program.  I understand that Sony comes out with new models every day, but my sense is Panasonic users are younger professionals who make some money with their equipment, but can't afford to keep upgrading.   Without internal 10bit, or RAW, I can't see why I would get one over even a first-gen Sony A7S.  I certainly won't buy a $2,500 GH5S to replace my used $1,500 C100!  The next step up from the GH5S is the EVA1, a $7,000 camera.  And like Anonim just said, the BM maybe come up with a BMPCC with 4K and improved AF, etc.   

Finally, DPReview shot most of that footage, in low DR scenes, in VLOG and SLOG2 for Sony.  Yeah, LOG gammas really bring out the best color in a camera!   We live in a world of LOG shooting gamma diarrhea. ;)

36 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Comparing to cameras released several years ago will often have such results...

You also forgot the prime zoom, formfactor, phantom powered XLRs and the s35mm sensor. But still no point in trying to compare release prices with three year old cameras imo.

I figured you would already be convinced.:) As if I was comparing "Gone with the wind" and "Avatar" regarding their boxoffice success, I was assuming that I have included that kind of "inflation factor" in my observation and judgement. Comparing GH5s to GH5 then, if picture quality is up to EVA standards and lowlight up to C300II standards then this camera has more going for it than I was assuming just one hour ago, to say the least. It would be a cinema camera with image quality just like a c300ii or a varicam lt with a price being very laughable by comparison. Rolling shutter would be interesting to know, as well if it has a setting for zero sharpening.

18 minutes ago, EthanAlexander said:

Then just stop down the lens ;).  Don't want to go down the rabbit hole of equivalency, but there's no reason a full frame camera can't achieve the exact same DoF as M43 and vice versa (Although it's easier for FF to achieve shallow DoF with current lens offerings).

You're missing my point completely I fear. 

For the a7S to match DoF with the GH5S then the a7S much have a much higher F-stop, which thus puts it at an immediate lowlight disadvantage which it has to first overcome. 

Thus it is not just a case of the GH5S being great at a given ISO, but practically speaking you'll find it works even better than the ISO suggests in a lowlight scene as you won't need to close the f-stop as far. 

10 minutes ago, Michael1 said:

It seems like the GH5S is geared more towards production companies, rather than run and gun and hybrid users, which is fine.  My only concern would be that they don't pull features out of the future GH6 just to differentiate it from other models, like many camera manufacturers do.  The hybrid user doesn't want to be compromised in stills or video just because of marketing positioning.  It should have everything they can put in, while keeping it a premiere hybrid camera.

I doubt Panasonic is doing that. Quite likely there are serious overheating issues they need to avoid with the GH5S. 

Unless... they made the GH5S without IBIS purely to pander to the car rig shooters?? I doubt it that they'd kill IBIS just for them!!

It looks like a great camera, and I can imagine it fitting in great with certain workflows. But it’s probably not something I would swap my GH5 for.

I mostly use the GH5 as a b-cam (to a Canon C) or for vlogging. I’ve never been in a situation where the low light was a problem and IBIS is something I rely on for work - usually getting b-roll under time pressures. Not a fan of putting anything with manual glass on a gimbal out in the field. 

We will be adding an EVA-1 to the lineup in the next month, and if the GH5s image somehow matches up better than the GH5 I might be swayed to purchase. But I still don't think i'd get rid of a camera as versatile as the GH5.

41 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

For the a7S to match DoF with the GH5S then the a7S much have a much higher F-stop, which thus puts it at an immediate lowlight disadvantage which it has to first overcome.

This isn't true. You aren't accounting for the light advantage already at play with larger sensors. So, when you stop down two stops to get the same DoF, you're ok because FF has a two stop sensitivity advantage over M34.