Panasonic GH5S 4K / 240fps low light monster

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, jonpais said:

and the reason for posting a link to imdb is...?

Vesku talking about grain added to Star Wars. The movie was shot on kodak film, hence the grain. Seems people magically forgot how grainy film was.

He was just pointing the technical specs in his link. 

How so?

Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL2, Panavision C-, E-, G-Series, ATZ and AWZ2 Lenses

LaboratoryCinelab, London, UK (film processing)
FotoKem Laboratory, Burbank (CA), USA

Negative Format35 mm (Kodak Vision3 50D 5203, Vision3 250D 5207, Vision3 500T 5219)
65 mm (horizontal) (Kodak Vision3 50D 5203, Vision3 250D 5207, Vision3 500T 5219)

Printed Film Format 70 mm (horizontal) (IMAX DMR blow-up) (Kodak Vision 2383)

7 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Yes for raw stills. There is very little noise and when pushed its 99% luma noise which is very easy to remove or plesant to keep.

I often shoot the new Fuji sensor in daylight at iso 4000 just because of the nice grain structure.

There's nothing (not even) similar to FUJI... That's the most close to film capture in the digital realm, ARRIs included*.

* I only don't add here Blackmagic because I really can't :-)

frustrating that not a single person seemed at all interested in Mystery Box’s extremely detailed blog post about grading HDR, just question after question about dynamic range. You don’t necessarily have to be ready to grade and deliver in HDR to take an interest in the workflow. I take an interest in just about anything having to do with filmmaking.  And while I’m discovering that HDR is turning out to be more expensive than I thought at first, I find it ironic that everyone is only concerned about capturing 14 stops of dynamic range but satisfied with delivering six or whatever. To me, it’s like having spent my entire life listening to harpsichord music and being introduced to the piano. just my two cents

Funny that about 36 hours ago, even without camera to test, I had mention 3 stops seemed to me too much:

On 1/15/2018 at 6:26 PM, Emanuel said:

Jon, one stop and a half of improvement is too tight. Three stops that some of them claim is perhaps too much : )

Somewhere between 2 stops, 2 stops and a half is pretty more accurate as far as I could see from the samples already available.

Here comes this one now:

24 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Funny that about 36 hours ago, even without camera to test, I had mention 3 stops seemed to me too much:

Here comes this one now:

dammit. had my hopes up briefly about the dynamic range. but this is the only side by side test of dynamic range i've seen and despite matt frazer's assertion that the GH5s is 14 stops at native ISOs, I don't see much (if any) of a difference here from the GH5. highlight roll-off is certainly better, but I still think there has been a miscommunication inside Panasonic that conflated "two more usable stops" due to better noise performance, with, "two additional stops" that would raise it to 14 stops total.

not a huge loss in the grand scheme of things, i guess.

11 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

dammit. had my hopes up briefly about the dynamic range. but this is the only side by side test of dynamic range and despite matt frazer's assertion that the GH5s is 14 stops at native ISOs, I don't see much (if any) of a difference here from the GH5. highlight roll-off is certainly better, but I still think there has been a miscommunication inside Panasonic that conflated "two more usable stops" due to better noise performance, with, "two additional stops" that would raise it to 14 stops total.

not a huge loss in the grand scheme of things, i guess.

Right Zak : ) They are two different aspects of matter, of course. Apples to oranges. DR and high ISOs are not even a friendly match as we all know. It is even funny they misplace that...

6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

We are basing this of course off of well I like this, and I like that. Lets see how this shakes out in reality. I would tend to agree a bit with Zak. I doubt  the Panasonic GH5s has the same DR that at EVA1 has.

Not even a shadow of it... Let's take a look on this comparative:

They are two absolute distinct cameras!

• Super Members

According to Kai its one stop of lowlight and zero stops of DR improvement. I have done nothing to figure out if its true and have watched zero samples so I have no clue. But if its true I have lost all interest.

But I am for everything that brings the gh4 prices down. Its at sub $500 and dropping. I dont care for the 4K since its cropped as much if not more than for example the D500. But I have always had a softspot for its HD. Could be a fun upgrade to my gm1.

18 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

According to Kai its one stop of lowlight and zero stops of DR improvement. I have done nothing to figure out if its true and have watched zero samples so I have no clue. But if its true I have lost all interest.

But I am for everything that brings the gh4 prices down. Its at sub $500 and dropping. I dont care for the 4K since its cropped as much if not more than for example the D500. But I have always had a softspot for its HD. Could be a fun upgrade to my gm1.

It is not true!

(that guy is an entertainer)

Far from only 1-stop faster. It is beyond 2 stops to be conservative.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

It is not true!

(that guy is an entertainer)

Far from only 1-stop faster. It is beyond 2 stops to be conservative.

He knows way more than people give him credit for. But I don't care.

Over two stops of DR sounds game changing since it would put it infront of the BMCC (13), Canon C100 (12) and A7s (11). Would love to see samples of that.

Doeas anybody know any good video showing it, dont feel like watching all of them?

Imatest would be definitive, as ‘real world’ tests aren’t repeatable. fwiw, I could detect no appreciable difference in this comparison, already posted, when viewed on my 2017 27” iMac. And while Mystery Box, who were paid by Panasonic to promote the GH5s for HDR delivery - which happens to be their specialty - claim 16 stops of dynamic range when counting nits on their scopes, they take pains to point out that 3-4 of those may be too noisy. In another first, they also point out that incorrect exposure and white balance will result in further loss of dynamic range. At times, when pressed on the issue of V-Log L and its supposed cap at 12 stops, they resort to saying, “well that’s what the engineers (at Panasonic) told us”. So I would be very skeptical of claims of 14 stops of dynamic range. Furthermore, even after a reviewer ultimately posts Imatest results online, readers will bicker loudly, insisting that the reviewer knows nothing, and that they can clearly see 14 or more clearly differentiated bands from pure white to black, but just viewing a chart on a 2012 MacBook Air with a lousy internet connection doesn’t tell the whole story. Finally, anyone who seriously believes this issue will be resolved need only take the GH5 as example - even one year after its release, no two sane people can agree what the true DR of the camera is! I'll take it one step further and recommend bypassing the GH5s altogether and spending your hard earned money on an LG OLED TV instead - only then will you be able to appreciate just how fine a camera the GH5 really is - while at the same time revealing the shortcomings of video graded in rec. 709.