Panasonic GH5S 4K / 240fps low light monster

Andrew Reid

23 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Not overly fond of bright night scenes that are more intense than direct sunlight. Maybe in small doses? I use lights - in fact, I love having control over lighting - so high sensitivity isn't a big deal to me. 

Yeah,  I like dark scenes to look dark. And shooting this way means that even if graded to a more natural look, there'll still be blown highlights everywhere. 
My kind of test for this would be to take it somewhere really sparsely lit and crank up the ISO to approximate what the human eye sees. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, DBounce said:

No IBIS I can deal with... poor low light performance is harder to deal with when you cannot control the lighting.

How lucky are persons like you! So, you have all chances to be happy user of GH5s - so, don't test voice of lucky destiny,  go on, why hesitate and speculate loudly here more :)

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Or even "seventeen stops" if someone is pedantic and totally ignoring noise levels!! :-P 

This is why it can be so tricky to trust stated DR numbers, unless you see them side by side. 

(for instance reduser fanboys are well known to overstate DR!)

If only that GH5's in your sentence lacked the apostrophe! 

That awesomeness of own Nikon lenses is you can very easily use them on any EF camera. 

Yeah....I love the Nikon AF-s 2.8 ED zooms....don't know if you've ever shot with them, but they render color very close to my M4/3 Leica lenses except very slightly warmer...effortless to cut together though!

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Not overly fond of bright night scenes that are more intense than direct sunlight. Maybe in small doses? I use lights - in fact, I love having control over lighting - so high sensitivity isn't a big deal to me. 

@jonpais....lol....The only thing this video demonstrated to me is that even at 3200 ISO the GH5 is perfectly usable...I will likely never be beyond 1600 but if 3200 is a must....it's there effortlessly with a bit of post

10 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I couldn't have shot this video, or dozens of others like it, without IBIS.

Well since the GH5 is discontinued I guess you will have to hang up your camera bag:dizzy: Oh wait, its not discontinued... All is good in the world again... just keep the GH5 and add the lowlight camera of your choice. 

Why is everyone hating on the GH5S? Would you be happier if all we had was the GH5? 

16 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

@jonpais....lol....The only thing this video demonstrated to me is that even at 3200 ISO the GH5 is perfectly usable...I will likely never be beyond 1600 but if 3200 is a must....it's there effortlessly with a bit of post

Do you have a GH5? Honestly, while 3200 can be used if you have no choice, it really is not a great option in my experience. I have my GH5 locked to max 1600 ISO.

I just made this, no planning, last minute decision to enter cinema5d 1 min short comp. Used gh5 iso 1600-3200 throughout. (Had no lighting to hand).Kind of gets away with it as the shots are quite quick. Gh5s would have have been great in one sense with the low light but it was shot all hand held and ibis was a great help.... 

I think for now ill still with the gh5 as i cant afford to own both 

https://youtu.be/lI3rfpQvqtA

24 minutes ago, Robin Billingham said:

I just made this, no planning, last minute decision to enter cinema5d 1 min short comp. Used gh5 iso 1600-3200 throughout. (Had no lighting to hand).Kind of gets away with it as the shots are quite quick. Gh5s would have have been great in one sense with the low light but it was shot all hand held and ibis was a great help.... 

I think for now ill still with the gh5 as i cant afford to own both 

https://youtu.be/lI3rfpQvqtA

Like. Great job. I watched without sound and it was a good layout and montage of shots and the story told very well within one minute. Well done!

@jonpais I watched your Oly 75mm video in 480p on a 27inch monitor. Looks like some cameras in 720p, lol.

Even Luke Neumann, in an interview one year ago with no film school, said about the GH5:

Stabilization on the sensor is one of those features that, once you use it, you won't want to go back. 

And when asked what aspect of the GH5 low-budget filmmakers would love most, he said:

IBIS. I honestly wasn't that excited about it because I had never used it before. Now? I don't want to go back to a camera that doesn't have it. Sometimes we just left our tripod in the car and that is a decision I would love to make more often.

Source

17 hours ago, ade towell said:

That DP Review chart is comparing photos, this is a video centric forum - when you compare the video of GH5s and the A7s from what I've seen up to iso 12800 maybe even 25000 the GH5s is a cleaner image and the colour doesn't fall apart in the same way the Sony does. From 25000 iso and above the Sony clearly takes over but how many people shoot at those crazy high isos? The Gh5s is better at iso levels where 99% of users will be using it  

Amen brother. Someone gets it!

Jon, there are two features I really miss on the GH5s version: IBIS and the upcoming 4K/60p 10-bit, even though we may workaround that 2nd one and I believe not technically possible yet into GH series but for soon, let's also hope so : ) Lack of IBIS is much more a PITA, unfortunately... 2x GH5/GH5S bodies is the only  solution I find to overcome the trouble. Which means to have the better cinema camera as B camera :-D

Here's their "technical excuse":

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

You do realize these are just tests, showing what Is possible. You are allowed to set Any exposure you want. I don't like bright as heck stuff either, but I don't Have to do it.

Sony, Yeah Sony developed this series of Sensors for surveillance cameras they manufacture. They wanted them to be as bright and clear as possible with the least noise they could make.  I say they  succeed pretty well. I am pretty sure it is a Sony senor in the GH5s, but I would not bet my like on if Yet.

I am pretty sure Panasonic, like any company Sony sells their Sensors to ask for certain Tweaks to the sensor if possible, but I would say most each company's Look is pretty much Baked into the Software, not hardware anymore. Mainly because nearly all the electronics anymore are on the chips now. I guess the Digital to Analog stuff might be able to be changed a bit in the dies, steppers when manufactured?

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

@DBounce Like you, I believe it was technically impossible to put IBIS into the GH5s without altering the body; and I don't buy Panasonic's excuse that they removed IBIS to satisfy the .0001% of filmmakers that object to it.

I think a better solution would be a lockable sensor. But no one has that... yet. In any case I am glad the GH5S exists as an option. 

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

I couldn't have shot this video, or dozens of others like it, without IBIS.

Every scene had movement in it, mostly up and down. I don't see how you can tout your GH5 as being ideal the way it is outputting.

I know we are all guilty of moment in videos, but that is why they invented 4000 dollar tripods. I have seen pretty much NO videos out of a GH5 that are rock solid handheld. So it is not your fault totally. But you have a pretty intense video rig and you are still getting movement.

Now I guess to the average person that will watch it they will not notice, but I see it. One problem is you are a old turd just like me LoL. Shake and Bake.