DJI Ronin S

Dave Maze

1 minute ago, Anaconda_ said:

That's why I played back at 2x at the end. So it's real time ?

This is another test I did, but there's not much walking in it. And the songs are unfinished. 

Well sorta, but not quite. Your shutter speed is different, so it looks weird then. 
Did you test the ronin s vs the weebill?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

True.

I'm just an average guy with no need to buy two gimbals, so haven't personally compared. There are plenty of people using the Ronin S with the P4k though. I only mentioned the Weebill because Kisaha thought it wasn't possible to use them.

The Ronin S is heavier but works out the box, Weebill is lighter but you need to modify it a touch. It's up to you as to what's important. For me, fitting it in a sling bag was a big selling point.

11 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

True.

I'm just an average guy with no need to buy two gimbals, so haven't personally compared. There are plenty of people using the Ronin S with the P4k though. I only mentioned the Weebill because Kisaha thought it wasn't possible to use them.

The Ronin S is heavier but works out the box, Weebill is lighter but you need to modify it a touch. It's up to you as to what's important. For me, fitting it in a sling bag was a big selling point.

Thanks for responding.

Where do you put the F battery? Because I will be running it with a similar setup.

The S is availablr for 549 in my country, so I can get it today, while the Weebill is not available yet, and I do not know when it will be.

No problem. I don't have it with me at the moment, which must say something about the portability haha. But basically, I use the velcro strap to tie it onto this arm:

weelabts2.jpg.2864ce06a1ac2925192faa7777f658b2.jpg

It balances perfect and you can slide it up and down for any micro adjustments needed. For example the weight needs to go move up or down the arm depending on the weight of the lens to offset the balance on the pivot at the back.

• Super Members
18 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=158583&extra=&page=1

There are dozens of cases such this on the net. Especially for Android users, but as you see above for everyone really.

The thing is that there are as many for the Weebill too..

I haven't got one  (and the frequency of these reports and the switch it on/switch it off/send it back response from DJI would give me serious pause) but I suspect some of the Android ones at least might be to do with having location services turned off as its part of the Bluetooth LE discovery and bonding process on Android.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-158542-1-1.html

My guess with the iOS ones would be that if you go into Bluetooth settings in the phone and choose to delete/forget the bonding with the gimbal and re-bond then creating the new association would restore functionality.

44 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I haven't got one  (and the frequency of these reports and the switch it on/switch it off/send it back response from DJI would give me serious pause) but I suspect some of the Android ones at least might be to do with having location services turned off as its part of the Bluetooth LE discovery and bonding process on Android.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-158542-1-1.html

My guess with the iOS ones would be that if you go into Bluetooth settings in the phone and choose to delete/forget the bonding with the gimbal and re-bond then creating the new association would restore functionality.

Also you have to buy another handle-battery for more use time, DJI's apps demand so many licenses from operating systems, it is very heavy and very large, but I am reading various issues for all the new gimbals anyway and paired with a P4K seems like the most straightforward option.

Do not know..

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Also you have to buy another handle-battery for more use time, DJI's apps demand so many licenses from operating systems, it is very heavy and very large, but I am reading various issues for all the new gimbals anyway and paired with a P4K seems like the most straightforward option.

Do not know..

My experiences with their products from the original Phantom, to the Osmo and the Mavic is that there is certainly a lot going on between the control apps and the products.....

Obviously there are more than a few conspiracy theories about why exactly that much activity should be happening but it does seem to add up to potentially quite a few points of failure and I have had a number of occasions across their products where I have had to jump through a few hoops to get them to start up.

Really wanted this gimbal, but it's like 4lbs? Similar ones are around 2 lol. Since the battery grip detaches so high, I hope they make a double battery grip handle that connects there, would be a perfect 2 handed gimbal, not a fan of the triple handle junk thats adapted. 

11 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

Really wanted this gimbal, but it's like 4lbs? Similar ones are around 2 lol. Since the battery grip detaches so high, I hope they make a double battery grip handle that connects there, would be a perfect 2 handed gimbal, not a fan of the triple handle junk thats adapted. 

Not exactly the same. Others have smaller capacity and the small Weebill is around 1200-1400, still half a kilo difference. The double handle is a good idea. They could easily fit some 1800mAh batteries in there!

Moza Air 2 just arrived.  I really like the screen and being able to set options on the gimbal, very convenient.  I also like how fast it is to adjust speed and turn motors on and off. I much prefer the flexibility of this compared to the traditional style. The grip is more comfy for me than Ronin-S but you can't detach it so it's more annoying for storage.  Right off the bat I had to offset the roll axis though.

Ronin-S feels a bit more solid, and I can wrap the Ronin-S grip, but for Moza Air 2 you can't do this since the battery compartment opens there.  Ronin-S also much more stable for vehicle use (best gimbal I've used so far for vehicles).  Moza is better than the older Zhiyuns (less tilt when moving) but it's still there and far behind Ronin.  Most people won't notice especially if they are just walking around, but once you get on something motorized it becomes more apparent.

My Ronin-S has been fine, I just don't like how annoying it is to change settings and speeds.  I've done 2x 6hr events with Ronin-S and yeah it's pretty heavy but still manageable.  I rest by either setting it down or lodging it in a one of those hip mount thingies (the tripod legs go into a belt mounted pocket, takes most of the weight, useful for static shots or for resting).

In terms of stability I have to say the Ronin-S has been very good in terms of keeping horizons level and pointed where you want it (of course could be better, but way better than anything else I've used), much better than older Zhiyun and this Moza unit. I honestly thought the Moza would be much closer in performance due to how similar they look but this is not the case at all. If only they had made changing settings more convenient!  Alas.  Maybe next time.

Anyways, need more testing before more comments!

I considered all my options for this last week, I was trying to avoid the Ronin S to be honest -being the bigger and heavier one hand gimbal, with no way to lock the upper section and a lot of complaints about QC and software bugs- but some realities (the promised DJI ecosystem, the presence of DJI in the European market, I read various problems from other new gimbals as well, the reduced price, the fact that taling out the handle makes it very easy to transport, it seems that it is the best match for the P4K, I am not completely sold on the new Moza and Zhiyun designs e.t.c) made me decide to buy it.

The problem was that it was sold out locally! I am trying with a shop now, but they tell me next week if it will be available soon.

• 3 weeks later...