DJI Ronin S

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Why do you even need a Gimbal using a Sony A7 Mk III?

22 hours ago, jonpais said:

IBIS CANNOT replace a gimbal.

21 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Sure it can for a good amount of stuff. The Olympus EM1 mk II can. Well not for every move, but you know I find Gimbal shots really sort of boring as hell. That flying look is hokey as heck for extended times.They are too good in a sense. Sort of the same with Drone footage. A little of it goes a long damn ways.

21 hours ago, jonpais said:

No, IBIS cannot replace a gimbal. And I’m sure you’re aware that the IBIS in the full frame a7 III is not as effective as in the m4/3 cameras.

LOL. @jonpais I think that @webrunner5 has never used a gimbal. Or a camera, I am not sure. 
Asking why one would even need a gimbal using an A7 because it has IBIS is beyond me :) Now I am not saying that you need a gimbal, depends on your work and style, but that's a different question. The thing is IBIS does not replace a gimbal and if it does for you that simply means you do not need stabilized footage while walking/running which is fine. 

I hope so. I currently have a GH5 on a Ronin-M using the Aputure Lens Regain as my wireless follow focus and iris adjustment.  I'm thinkin it will be a little easier to handle being able to hold it close to the body with 2 hands vs. the Ronin-M. Anybody who already has one, is it worth it to sell the Ronin-M and get the Ronin-S.

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, scotchtape said:

My preorder never came in and I canceled after literally 2 months of waiting.

Got it on aliexpress for retail price with coupons plus eBates gets you some cash back.

They did take like 2 weeks before shipping but better than 2 months.

Same here in Slovakia, I was waiting for my ronin since august, so I cancelled my order and got a crane 2...

• 2 months later...

Come on DJI - this is ridiculous - I had a Zhiyun Crane 2 and I can control all camera functions - Aperture, ISO, Shutter whilst recording - why can't the Ronin S do this!!! So annoying. And I can't find any other third party device to do this either :( The OKii can do it all, but not while recording :(

From what I've seen the Ronin S works very well as a stabiliser for the P4K, all the controlles though become useless. That's not limited to the Ronin, no gimbals can communicate with the BMP4K unless they have bluetooth, but I've not heard of any that do or can connect in that way to the camera.

Any focus control must be done with a hardware follow focus too.

10 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

From what I've seen the Ronin S works very well as a stabiliser for the P4K, all the controlles though become useless. That's not limited to the Ronin, no gimbals can communicate with the BMP4K unless they have bluetooth, but I've not heard of any that do or can connect in that way to the camera.

My plan is to use the BMPK4K+gimbal with an ultrawide prime. I already have with an 14mm and I loved the results, so not so crazy about focus.

I also own the Dec Regain, so I have the option if I want. Planning to use the S with a dual handle anyway, almost impossible with just one! I used the Crane 2 and some modes weren't possible, and it was already too heavy.

Does it need any walkarounds or they work together as a breeze?

This gimbal question puzzles me a lot lately! The S is an overkill for my hybrid cameras though, I would love something like the Weebill work, but it doesn't seem possible with the Pocket.

I use the Weebill with the Pocket, it's fine for my needs. The only limitation I've found is the hyper cool, use it every day VORTEX twisty function doesn't work with this camera just because the motors can't quite handle it.

I think the Ronin can balance out the box, but for the Weebill, you do need to add some kind of a counterweight, but that's very simple and I've not found it hindering my movements. In fact, I've recently been using this battery converter, which has a velcro strap. It's both my counterweight and power solution. With this I can balance the P4K, Viltrox and 24-105, so that should give you some idea of what the gimbal can handle.

image.png.0a2a80252616ec9b8da5e110c18893ab.png

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-12V-NP-F-Battery-Power-Supply-System-Mount-Adapter-Plate-Holder-for-BMCC-BMPCC-4K/32955311989.html 

Here's my first test with the Weebill. This first 2 min is slow mo shot at 50fps, then the last part of the clip is the same edit played back at 2x speed, to hopefully show any wobbles/jitters.

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

Yeah I am also ordering the nucleus N. I dont use AF lenses anyway.

49 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I use the Weebill with the Pocket, it's fine for my needs. The only limitation I've found is the hyper cool, use it every day VORTEX twisty function doesn't work with this camera just because the motors can't quite handle it.

I think the Ronin can balance out the box, but for the Weebill, you do need to add some kind of a counterweight, but that's very simple and I've not found it hindering my movements. In fact, I've recently been using this battery converter, which has a velcro strap. It's both my counterweight and power solution. With this I can balance the P4K, Viltrox and 24-105, so that should give you some idea of what the gimbal can handle.

image.png.0a2a80252616ec9b8da5e110c18893ab.png

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-12V-NP-F-Battery-Power-Supply-System-Mount-Adapter-Plate-Holder-for-BMCC-BMPCC-4K/32955311989.html 

Here's my first test with the Weebill. This first 2 min is slow mo shot at 50fps, then the last part of the clip is the same edit played back at 2x speed, to hopefully show any wobbles/jitters.

Well even handheld stuff looks smooth at 60fps. How is it at 24fps which is how I will be shooting 99,9% of the time anyway?

29 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Well even handheld stuff looks smooth at 60fps. How is it at 24fps which is how I will be shooting 99,9% of the time anyway?

That's why I played back at 2x at the end. So it's real time ?

This is another test I did in real-time, but there's not much walking in it. And the songs are unfinished.