DJI Ronin S

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Vertigo zoom of course (as they say in the video). Brandon Li uses it a lot in Hong Kong Strong, only there he zooms out digitally, resizing a UHD image to 1080. You *could* name the rotation around the zero anchor point (around 1'20") a 2001 shot ...

2 hours ago, Axel said:

Vertigo zoom of course (as they say in the video). Brandon Li uses it a lot in Hong Kong Strong, only there he zooms out digitally, resizing a UHD image to 1080. You *could* name the rotation around the zero anchor point (around 1'20") a 2001 shot ...

It's called a dolly zoom.

Well, it should be called a gimbal zoom then, shouldn't it. As John Hess knows, there are different names:

Since the first use of the effect, in Vertigo, was achieved by foreground, center (not moving) and background layers of the staircase with a multiplane camera and so strictly speaking was neither a travelling nor a zoom, I find it appropriate to use that name, Vertigo.

22 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Finally got our Ronin-S review finished! Really loving this gimbal. Although....at the end of the day, if you have an extra operator, the MoVI with all the FIZ control is going to be better. The Ronin-S is a Z Crane killer. 

Yeah as expected. This will not replace even the ronin 2 or the original ronin let alone the movi. Im buying the ronin s next to the original ronin which I still use to fly heavy setups. And the ronin s for some more event type shooting with the pocket.

On 7/14/2018 at 3:55 PM, Axel said:

Fantastic review, Dave! Now I really want that thing ...

Hey Thanks! Really appreciate the kind words! Ya...its a great gimbal for sure

21 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah as expected. This will not replace even the ronin 2 or the original ronin let alone the movi. Im buying the ronin s next to the original ronin which I still use to fly heavy setups. And the ronin s for some more event type shooting with the pocket.

Totally. I will still use a MoVI Pro for bigger setups, but for everyday use, especially if you are a single operator, the Ronin-S is great 

6 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

Hey Thanks! Really appreciate the kind words! Ya...its a great gimbal for sure

I know you showed the Frame Grab like it was in the water. Is it sort of waterproof you think at all?? I mean like if it starts raining.

50 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I know you showed the Frame Grab like it was in the water. Is it sort of waterproof you think at all?? I mean like if it starts raining.

I wouldn't recommend it, and neither would DJI...its not rated as being "weather proof" however.....if you get a little splash on it or a bit of rain, I don't think it'll ruin it!

On 7/14/2018 at 11:20 PM, webrunner5 said:

Yeah I don't see how a person can not get one if you are in the market for a Gimbal.

Just bought a Crane Plus. Holds an A7III easily and weight HALF of the DJI. 
2 pounds less ! this is enormous. I would never get the DJI even for free just for the weight. 

Let me precise that 80% of my camera use is away from home or in the mountain where weight counts a lot.

If I were to fly a 1DX for work project then yes the DJI makes sense. 

51 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Just bought a Crane Plus. Holds an A7III easily and weight HALF of the DJI. 
2 pounds less ! this is enormous. I would never get the DJI even for free just for the weight. 

Let me precise that 80% of my camera use is away from home or in the mountain where weight counts a lot.

If I were to fly a 1DX for work project then yes the DJI makes sense. 

Why do you even need a Gimbal using a Sony A7 Mk III?

51 minutes ago, jonpais said:

IBIS CANNOT replace a gimbal.

Sure it can for a good amount of stuff. The Olympus EM1 mk II can. Well not for every move, but you know I find Gimbal shots really sort of boring as hell. That flying look is hokey as heck for extended times.They are too good in a sense. Sort of the same with Drone footage. A little of it goes a long damn ways.

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I find Gimbal shots really sort of boring as hell. That flying look is hokey as heck for extended times.They are too good in a sense.

You are right. 

A gimbal is just one tool among others to make shots stable. Particularly if the operator tries to show off, it gets boring.