DJI Ronin S

Dave Maze

8 hours ago, Turboguard said:

Gah, I have the money, so might just pick one up. I’ll have the whole summer to practice. And at NAB they showed it with the BMPCC4K so it should work right?

Yes, one of their guy commented on FB that Canon and Blackmagic support is coming in the next firmware

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The marketing material says it can control Panasonic cameras but I couldn't find a single early review video where someone was using it with a GH5 and show if/how the focus wheel works. I saw a bazillion videos with plain A7-something setups (small-ish lens, no cage, etc.) that would have worked with any other one-hand gimbal in the past.

Can anyone point me to one?

1 hour ago, Phil A said:

The marketing material says it can control Panasonic cameras but I couldn't find a single early review video where someone was using it with a GH5 and show if/how the focus wheel works. I saw a bazillion videos with plain A7-something setups (small-ish lens, no cage, etc.) that would have worked with any other one-hand gimbal in the past.

Can anyone point me to one?

There you go:

I think this is going to sell really well, but I also feel like there's going to be a ton on the used market as people don't realize how heavy it's going feel.

If you need the payload and balancing capabilities then you probably know what you're getting into, but I'm betting lots of people using smaller setups are going to buy in to it, only to realize that they don't actually need a 4lb unit to balance their 2.5lb setups.

I hope this thing actually gets smooth motion, because there are so many bad ronin clips out there.  I'm astounded that people still rave about DJI.

4 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I think this is going to sell really well, but I also feel like there's going to be a ton on the used market as people don't realize how heavy it's going feel.

If you need the payload and balancing capabilities then you probably know what you're getting into, but I'm betting lots of people using smaller setups are going to buy in to it, only to realize that they don't actually need a 4lb unit to balance their 2.5lb setups.

I hope this thing actually gets smooth motion, because there are so many bad ronin clips out there.  I'm astounded that people still rave about DJI.

Yes. I personally am hoping they make a lighter version for smaller setups. I love the features of the ronin-s, but its a bit overkill for me. 

10 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Agreed. The video above comparing it to the Titla, I'm surprised at how big it is. It looks like a great setup - especially if your camera works with the focus knob. There's definitely a market for a smaller version with a less payload capacity, this is complete overkill for virtually any mirrorless setup.

Chris

12 hours ago, scotchtape said:

THIS. And TBH the first video we see of the Ronin S shows more jitters than the Crane / Moza ones. 

Personally I just ordered a Crane plus, got a brand new for 399 instead of 569$. 300$ less than DJI and twice lighter .... 

I just ordered the crane 2. I was trying to find a used one for the eBay coupon but unfortunately there was nothing available during the 12 hours.  Ended up only getting $130 off the Crane 2 with servo follow focus. 

They are surely working on the crane 3 with angled motor now... But I needed more payload.

3 hours ago, Phil A said:

The Ronin-S is really humongously big. I'll pass after initial interest. 

It’s not that it’s big, the arm being at a 45° angle causes the overall height to increase several inches. This combined with the fact that it is also on the mount in this picture make it appear much larger. 

I had a chance to play with several gimbals in this category back to back at NAB, and at no point did I conclude anything other than it was the best gimbal at NAB... and they were all there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, nigelbb said:

That's an interesting idea although it would be limiting.

Yeah but it is a cheap way of holding it even when in use, not counting when you are thinking about your next moves, or changing setting, a lens, etc. Hey the price is right.