Viltrox EF M2 on BMMCC? Metabones alternative?

Martin Kuipers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 5 weeks later...

unfortunately it does not seem to work with bmpcc at this point. it does not show f-stop (cant control). 

Seems like It cannot recognize lens at all. 

Lens i tested

・Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens

・Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC

・Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 DI VC

3lens above work well with my gh4 (except stabilization)

_2000467.JPG

_2000458 copy.jpg

Firstly Thank you for your service... so it just becomes as dumb speed booster huh?.... they all sold out from amazon and all the ebay orders are like 3 weeks estimated shipping  just to send back if it dosent work...(I dont have any other M43 cameras like a GH4 to use it on)  

Perhaps they will work it out with a firmware update but they probably think the BMPCC market is small potatoes so there is no urgency. 

Im experimenting with a different route

Since.... I already have a nice selection of Canon FD lenses...

50mm 1.4,

80-200 F4 L,

24mm 2.8,

50mm Macro 3.5, 

The only thing im missing is a wide so I found a FD 15mm 2.8 fish-eye (made in 1976?)   Got a Cheap $100 FD speed booster to MF3.... and this is by far the most money ive invested in a FD lens ($200) the classic wide angles are rare and not cheap.

Cool thing is even with the speed booster there is very little distortion in the BMPCC image it kind of reminds you of anamorphic lenses that bow ever so slightly on the edges.  

Still got 3 weeks to decide if I want to return it all and go and go Metabones+ a used Sigma 18-35 1.8 ( Friggin $800+)

Cool thing is If I can find a cheapo A7S someday I have a pretty complete set for FULL Frame camera lenses ready for action!

We shall see.   Thanks again for the news on the viltrox

On 11/2/2018 at 11:58 AM, u1film said:

unfortunately it does not seem to work with bmpcc at this point. it does not show f-stop (cant control). 

Seems like It cannot recognize lens at all. 

Lens i tested

・Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens

・Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC

・Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 DI VC

3lens above work well with my gh4 (except stabilization)

_2000467.JPG

_2000458 copy.jpg

So it does work?!! I didnt understand exactly what it needs to be done to work. I have a panasonic G7 and a bmpcc and this adaptor might be my only option to use a sigma 18-35 on both cameras since metabones is veeery expensive.

11 hours ago, DimChron said:

So it does work?!! I didnt understand exactly what it needs to be done to work. I have a panasonic G7 and a bmpcc and this adaptor might be my only option to use a sigma 18-35 on both cameras since metabones is veeery expensive.

Shit happens. Wether it is a bug that can be fixed via firmware update or not idk.

Reseating the adapter while camera is powered on seems to fix it.

On 2018-02-13 at 9:19 AM, jagnje said:

Releasing the mount while the camera is operating ussually brings it back to life. Just an anoyance I learned to get by with.

Thanks guys for answering the questions I was also wondering about. I am about to buy a BMPCC very soon but I am now struggling with what lense to get and what adapter/speebooster to use with. My only problem now is stabilization . I heard that some BlackMagic firmware update is helping with stabilization, but is this feature also working with a lense that has NO stabilization?

(BTW I am also interrested about Canon 24mm f2.8 IS USM or TAMRON SP 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC, and since you say they work fine with this release mount trick I am probably going to choose one of those two)