Hey YouTube and Facebook - time to stop burying the good stuff with wall-to-wall bullshit

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Viewers empathize with children and childish behavior. Spielberg is probably my favorite director, and he often chooses children as protagonists for this reason. (His adult protagonists are childish in their own way.)

This isn’t any different. These guys know what they’re selling and what they’re doing. It’s not even that different from the appeal Trump has on the Apprentice: childish, impulsive behavior, enabled by seemingly infinite wealth–a kid with a blank check and no parents at FAO Schwarz, who you can both enable and live vicariously through just by watching.

Which isn't really so bad or so different from what's come before. To me this stuff does seem worse, but I'm old and out of touch. Reality tv seemed bad in its time. Home Alone seemed irresponsible. 

Unless you want to censor speech on moral grounds, it’s on the viewer to choose something else, and the producer to self-censor in response to community boycotts or reduced viewership. This is what happened with the MPAA. This can work. Pewdiepie’s racism and antisemitism have already cost him financially, though not by much.

It’s on the viewers to choose. Just as it’s on the voters. If you see content you like, share it and support it financially. If you think something is wasting your time, turn it off.

Well that’s what you call a rant! “Idiots”, “crap”, “stupid”...all the YouTubers are uneducated idiots. 

So what if they are? Why do you have to screams it  it in an angry post? So much anger Andrew. Why so much anger? Are things not going in the direction you’d wish they’d go? Feeling like you’re watching the train go by? 

You are right on many counts and I think things will get much worse before it gets any better, if the end of internet neutrality is indeed what’s in store for us. But so what? What are you going to do about it? Rant on your blog? C’mon man... 

Levelling to the lowest common denominator is the way of modern life. Everything feeds us shit and always has. Turn on the radio. Turn on your tv. Buy a magasine. Go to the movies for crying out loud. Everything that is easily available- ok almost everything- everything that doesn’t require a conscious, deliberate effort to be discovered is mind numbing shite. And so is YouTube. Money makes the world go round. Always has, always will. Anybody that thinks otherwise is naive, ideologist, or both. 

Your rant is so trivial, it feeds us no info whatsoever, only bitterness and negativity. And there’s already enough of it on-and-off line for you to add some more. 

You don’t like YouTube? Don’t watch it and write a good camera review instead.

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Joachim said:

Well that’s what you call a rant! “Idiots”, “crap”, “stupid”...all the YouTubers are uneducated idiots. 

So what if they are? Why do you have to screams it  it in an angry post? So much anger Andrew. Why so much anger? Are things not going in the direction you’d wish they’d go? Feeling like you’re watching the train go by? 

You are right on many counts and I think things will get much worse before it gets any better, if the end of internet neutrality is indeed what’s in store for us. But so what? What are you going to do about it? Rant on your blog? C’mon man... 

Levelling to the lowest common denominator is the way of modern life. Everything feeds us shit and always has. Turn on the radio. Turn on your tv. Buy a magasine. Go to the movies for crying out loud. Everything that is easily available- ok almost everything- everything that doesn’t require a conscious, deliberate effort to be discovered is mind numbing shite. And so is YouTube. Money makes the world go round. Always has, always will. Anybody that thinks otherwise is naive, ideologist, or both. 

Your rant is so trivial, it feeds us no info whatsoever, only bitterness and negativity. And there’s already enough of it on-and-off line for you to add some more. 

You don’t like YouTube? Don’t watch it and write a good camera review instead.

Wow so much anger Joachim!

If only you were as angry about "everything feeds us shit and always has"... or "money makes the world go round"...

Because normal human response to this is to be angry and try and change things.

Maybe you are not human?

A Russian troll perhaps?!

Anyway it sounds like your opinion there is pretty similar to what I said in the article if you think YouTube is feeding us shit and always has.

By the way...

It's not a "trivial rant".

The only thing trivial here is your response.

A resigned *sigh* rather than a call for quality content.

This is a very simple problem to fix. YouTube takes editorial responsibility, ditches the algorithm driven trending home page and ranking system, actively promotes good quality stuff so that people sees it, starts investing in content like all other TV networks do. YouTube is not just a platform for hosting videos, it is a mass media channel.

Time they took responsibility.

And if you don't understand that Joachim or what's at stake... why the fuck are you a filmmaker? You may as well not be.

Two problems I see that in reality can never be put back in the Bottle is 24 hour news shows, and a amazingly scary amount of up loads to You Tube every day.

The news shows are looking for the most dirt they can find, whether it is true or not. They don't dare fact check it or someone else will not and beat them to the story. Endless loop.

No way in hell You Tube can review the stuff as fast as it comes in, probably not even with computers let alone 1,000's of humans. So no clue how they stop it. Lots of people can care less if they get money from uploads, so no big deal if no advertiser wants to give them 5 cents.

And there are tons more problems like you mentioned. I see no way we Can go back. I think we are on the Highway to Hell to be honest. World was III around the corner maybe. It Ain't looking good long term I can tell you that much. I just see it getting much worse, let alone just treading water. I think the Internet may well prove to be the worse thing Ever invented in the long run. And we are not even talking about the "Dark Web", Christ.

Well, I tell you what: at least YouTube gathers all those worthless videos into one single space we know to keep away from. Why would you want that to change? Where would these videos go to be seen? Because no, they are not going away! I say better to have them all under the YT umbrella and not pollute the rest of the internet. Leave it for the Vimeo’s to channel quality. Honestly I really struggle to see the issue at hand here. 

4 minutes ago, Joachim said:

Well, I tell you what: at least YouTube gathers all those worthless videos into one single space we know to keep away from. Why would you want that to change? Where would these videos go to be seen? Because no, they are not going away! I say better to have them all under the YT umbrella and not pollute the rest of the internet. Leave it for the Vimeo’s to channel quality. Honestly I really struggle to see the issue at hand here. 

Well we look at Vimeo, our young kids don't, they look at YT. Guess who will be running the show in 20 years, them not us.

That is the scary part , It IS all in one place, and very easy to access!

I watch a bunch of RV and Sailboat V Loggers and the trend now is to try to upload Every Day!! Christ, the content just they generate is mind boggling, let alone all the other crap!

I've been a production partner on Youtube since 2006, back when they had human content curators and we had to sign paper docs to be part of the program. The problem is that an algorithm can't see "quality" it can only see data. Since Google is all about the algorithms they are unequipped to help viewers find the quality content that is/was being posted to their service. The human curators were great. I could tell them that we had an exclusive review of a new car (one that might not even have a lot of search requests yet) and they would put it front and center. Most of our videos trended on the platform as a result. Once they were replaced, that ended and I stopped seeing YouTube as a reliable platform for distribution. Ideally, YouTube would incorporate a mix of content; Some, algorithm based, with section editors that could curate key sections: automotive, film, drama, comedy, etc. However, that is directly against the Google-way, which is unfortunate. 

2 minutes ago, rdouthit said:

I've been a production partner on Youtube since 2006, back when they had human content curators and we had to sign paper docs to be part of the program. The problem is that an algorithm can't see "quality" it can only see data. Since Google is all about the algorithms they are unequipped to help viewers find the quality content that is/was being posted to their service. The human curators were great. I could tell them that we had an exclusive review of a new car (one that might not even have a lot of search requests yet) and they would put it front and center. Most of our videos trended on the platform as a result. Once they were replaced, that ended and I stopped seeing YouTube as a reliable platform for distribution. Ideally, YouTube would incorporate a mix of content; Some, algorithm based, with section editors that could curate key sections: automotive, film, drama, comedy, etc. However, that is directly against the Google-way, which is unfortunate. 

Yeah you guys did and do some damn nice camera work!

I definitely see why you are angry. Andrew. And i think it is our duty to look and see and point out the problems we see in our society.
Like you have. To create discussion. Words (typing) are powerful, and when people come together things get done.
The "everything sucks so F**k it, i dont care, nothing matters" attitude, is so 6 grade.

I wouldn't say Youtube is the greatest but i have to say there are some amazing talented people that produce great work on the platform. There is also the opposite.
Some of the worst people and crap has been produced for youtube but also some of the best. In a way its the price of free speech.

Our freedoms are being challenged everyday. Youtube is one of the few places someone with no money can succeed for good or bad.
TV channels are censored and controlled by multiple agendas. Try sway your opinion in the direction they like.

I feel it is more the peoples job to change how things are. On the web and on youtube. But NOT censorship.
Youtube doesn't care, but they do if we make them care. Corporation don't care, but they care if we make them care.
You created EOSHD and you do with it want you like. May people thank you for it! i do.
Just like the EOSHD forum I'm glad that geniuses, idiots, asshole, artist, awesome people and everyone in-between can say what they want.

I think your frustration is misplaced, Andrew. I fail to see how it is up to google and FB to kill their own platforms by curating (censoring) content. If they did that then they would be overtaken overnight. Period. I work full time in marketing at a company that sells 90% online and I can tell you that YT and FB are perfectly oiled machines that serve consumers exactly what they want to see. That's why they are worth billions.

What you've overlooked is that if consumers truly wanted different content, then YT and FB, using the exact same algorithms, would serve up that different content. It's that simple. My own YT and FB feeds don't show me the crap you're upset with because I never interact with it. It shows me camera stuff, exercise stuff, and puppy videos lol :grin:. That's it.

If you really want content that's curated (again, censored), it already exists: It's called TV and nobody wants it.

Just thought I’d point out that Facebook has invested over $1billion on new original content for their new Facebook Watch platform. 

We’re all capable of looking for what we want to see. It’s true that there’s a lot of trash on YouTube & co, but there’s trash absolutely everywhere. Always. Ignore.

I'm 56.  I went to public schools in NYC in the late 70s.   They had large populations of blacks, Puerto Ricans, and other minorities who had few opportunities in the white-collar world.  Today, on YouTube, Marques Brownlee makes a living doing tech content, on his terms, in a way that was probably unthinkable to his parents when he was born.  You also have Dagogo Altraide, of "ColdFusion" who has 1.5 million happy subscribers (like me).  Or how about Olufemii?   My guess is that 30 years ago there were few opportunities for @Oliver Daniel to do anything creative on his own in Manchester.   If you were born 30 years ago what would you be doing then?  I can get as upset about this stuff as you, like "Game of Thrones" which is on your quality list ;)  We all have different tastes. 

You haven't been on your forum much.  You are EXCEPTIONALLY lucky that you have a platform/business in which you have some freedom of choice, freedom that is still not available to billions on this planet.  If what you say is correct, and the World has totally lost it, then what hope for anyone?  Do you think some young person, who finds his way to Berlin with dreams of making films, wants to read this stuff on EOSHD?  That person is who you want to keep in the back of your head.  Live and let live, Andrew.  I strongly urge you to go watch the film "Sullivan's Travels" again to find your way back.

6 hours ago, DataMeister said:

Why do you think there needs to be quality and expensive content on Youtube? It sounds like you are trying to turn a generic video blogging platform designed for one kind of content into something it wasn't designed to be. 

Agreed. However YouTube is getting better and better content as well, just got to look for it. 

3 hours ago, maxotics said:

If you really want content that's curated (again, censored), it already exists: It's called TV and nobody wants it.

Exactly.

I am not a big fan of being censored either. But I believe the basic concept of it now, and in the beginning, was derived to protect our youth more than any other reason. And if we really think our young kids are going on YouTube, Facebook to see Mary Poppins, or re runs of Micky Mouse well.. In a world where it seems to be a race to the bottom I think some pretty big censorship is needed, and I know it is Sorely lacking on YouTube in particular.

I don't want kids to live in a vacuum but in this day and age there is no good way to keep an eye out on your children as much anymore. Not with them having cell phones that downstream anything you want anytime you want. If we have a "ah to hell with it anything goes mindset", we will sadly have that wish come true in the future. There are for some reason tons more Evil people than I ever came across when I was young. I have a clue why but I don't want to get into it on here.