HLG to VLog Conversion - Now Free

Sage

*Starting today, I am offering the HLG/V-Log conversions for free. You can enter a donation if you'd like

Enjoy!

"Precision conversions to allow the interchangeability of Hybrid Log-Gamma and V-Log L, for the Panasonic GH5. There are 3 variations of each conversion to accommodate the interaction of white balance with color space: Daylight, Tungsten, and an averaged conversion (4300k)."

EmotiveColor.com

PDF Download

HLG Converted To V-Log L (Tungsten)

5a4e74eb0f881_HLGTungsten.00_00_00_00.Still001.thumb.png.19bb40bc21feb3a77d7a22cd8de303be.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am sorry, why would anyone shoot in hlg and then convert to vlog? Why not shoot vlog, which provides higher DR,  and then convert to hlg? Shooting vlog also enables rendering to other hdr formats, like hdr10. Hlg is inferior to vlog, right (It's a compromise hybrid)? What am I missing?

I'm gonna try answering "what am I missing" question.

In short what you gain in dynamic range you loose in color and accuracy. Video compression is done with human perception in mind most of the time, to throw away what we have trouble seeing and give more room to what we are sensitive for, and log unless used without grading is going to push that around a lot. Some parts the "right" way and some parts stretched apart.

saying hlg is inferior to vlog is like saying chocolate is inferior to vanilla, they are different and used for different things. And I would guess that shooting some scenes in HLG is going to look better than shooting vlog internally. If you have external recorder and bitrate to throw at it then by all means go vlog all the time.

13 hours ago, markr041 said:

I am sorry, why would anyone shoot in hlg and then convert to vlog? Why not shoot vlog, which provides higher DR,  and then convert to hlg? Shooting vlog also enables rendering to other hdr formats, like hdr10. Hlg is inferior to vlog, right (It's a compromise hybrid)? What am I missing?

Yes, one of the biggest advantages here is that those without VLog can effectively get it for free. Also, those with both can experiment with both formats on the same project with full confidence that they can match them perfectly in post. They both store the full dynamic range of the sensor, HLG more linearly than VLog (which curves shadow noise). HLG uses a bit more bit depth, because VLog L is conformed to the Full VLog curve for workflow compatibility with full VLog. Because the color spaces are different, the resulting native color is different, and I find the native color of VLog to be a bit better than the native color of HLG (for skintones especially). With color correctives, such as Leeming or Driftwood, the color of either can be significantly improved.

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Sage said:

@Rikoshet This is actually the newer thread; the original is here:

Your description was correct, it can be used like that

Sorry for confusion, Sage! What is the scop of 2 threads?

Anyway...

I'm on stage to decide my workflow (premire pro cc2018) and I'd like to understand why is the color/luminance differences between your method and Driftwood? Please take a look:

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 17.44.00.jpg

6 hours ago, Rikoshet said:

Sorry for confusion, Sage! What is the scop of 2 threads?

Anyway...

I'm on stage to decide my workflow (premire pro cc2018) and I'd like to understand why is the color/luminance differences between your method and Driftwood? Please take a look:

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 17.44.00.jpg

That's looking good, nice shot!

This thread was to announce the conversion as being publicly available (would've gone under the radar in the other thread)

HLG to VLog conforms HLG to match the VLog space (not gamma alone; has a 3d color match throughout the space)

Using that Varicam 35 look up table conforms the VLog color space to Varicam's specified output colors for 709; what Panasonic thought looked good for their flagship

Likewise, the Driftwood look up table is intended to take HLG to a Rec709 ready image